2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I was sitting at my desk this afternoon with my heart hurting as I thought about where our fishery has come to. So, instead of being down about it all, I decided to give it one last scratch. Packed up work and had the lines in off Cowan Pt by 2:30. Put in just a few hours and had a pretty active afternoon. Boxed one, released another small legal and a bunch of unders and shakers. But more importantly, I just enjoyed being out there in that it beautiful, calm evening. Thought a lot about the years of fishing these same waters with my dad and grandfather, and how much the times have changed. I also thought about what a pleasure it is to just be on the water, fish or no fish.

I like to think my grandfather is somewhere in that sunset. If there has to be a last day, I guess this was about as good as I could hope for.
View attachment 63858View attachment 63859View attachment 63860View attachment 63861View attachment 63862
Probably the last keeper for a while!! Awesome.

I went out after work yesterday. I went to Spanish banks. I landed a just under right away. Then trolled past the bell out to the marker. Saw way more bait at Spanish banks. Trolled back to Spanish banks and got two more undersized. One of them popped the pin and pulled line. Great night. Much better fishing then the last two weeks. I got two of the fish right beside the same boat both times we happened to pass each other. They must have thought I had a magic lure.

Did HITW this afternoon. Ended up with 5 hits. 4 unders to the boat and one that pulled my clip open and swam away with my flasher. Would have been an very interesting fish if I had landed it. Oh well. Got to see a humpback whale breaching every 30 sec and blowing. Made my day ❤
Yes...dont let that happen again...switch over to Gibbs Scissor Snaps...you can google that...much better terminal tackle design...just use Scissor Snaphwith bead swivel for any place you would have used your old clip. I think some also call it a Mahon clip?

So are we able to catch and release Chinooks in area 29-4 and 29-3 ?
I can't seem to find the regs for April 1st -2021 are they out ?

So are we able to catch and release Chinooks in area 29-4 and 29-3 ?
I can't seem to find the regs for April 1st -2021 are they out ?
"No fishing for Chinook" has to be different in some way to "Non-retention". Doesn't it?!

"No fishing for Chinook" has to be different in some way to "Non-retention". Doesn't it?!
I think they leave it as confusing as possible so we can really do what we want so it is what it is, so back to all those Chinook catch and release reports in this area , tight lines. I just fish for Coho anyway , Chinook maybe the unfortunate by catch ..tight lines and play safe all . .thanks

Well put sir-vivor! I knew I would be corrected. Doesn't that end up being the same result?
Just go fishing!! Less in the freezer. If you get a bleeder feed them to whiskers.
It's also a banner year for Pollucks and I heard they tastes very good for fish broth! Now if I can find someone who can touch that sh*t and clean it for me..... :D

Last edited:
Hey guys. On the water, by Bell Buoy. 5 mins with lines in water and boom, DFO showed up. They’re active today. As expected. Hooks are barbless, license in order, everything fine. They’re gonna be in high alert for the next few days.
They were very nice, we told them we were aware of the regulations. Happy we can at least be out here and do this.
See you in the water

Hey guys. On the water, by Bell Buoy. 5 mins with lines in water and boom, DFO showed up. They’re active today. As expected. Hooks are barbless, license in order, everything fine. They’re gonna be in high alert for the next few days.
They were very nice, we told them we were aware of the regulations. Happy we can at least be out here and do this.
See you in the water
Did they say anything about catch and release?

See you in the water
While they’re around, can you also get them to have a look at the ghost traps that these mofos were dropping? Tell them that they’ve been formally reported to their Richmond office yesterday.
1617302183815.png

It's also a banner year for Pollucks and I heard they tastes very good for fish broth! Now if I can find someone who can touch that sh*t and clean it for me..... :D

small amounts of meat you get unless you get a good size one. tastes really good straight up on a frying pan

it’s only human perspective on them just like people would say eating a bear is nasty but I serve that to everyone.

I think they leave it as confusing as possible so we can really do what we want so it is what it is, so back to all those Chinook catch and release reports in this area , tight lines. I just fish for Coho anyway , Chinook maybe the unfortunate by catch ..tight lines and play safe all . .thanks
Coho is closed right now, I'm sure you mean pinks. Pinks are open year round ; ) Too bad if something else bites the line, but I'm targeting pinks. :)

Was a great last day. Killed 2 legals and lost and real big boy , however to those catch and releasing salmon into the waiting mouths of seals do you really think this is helping? You will never see a keeper coho until months from now ? Looks at the heads all around you just waiting for a fish to be depleted !

Back