2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Finally got my new boat in the water today. Fished the bell from 11-2. Lost a good one to a seal, another pin popper got off and released 3 in the 5lb range. Lots of bait on the screen. Only 2 keeper crab, lots of undersized.
Same here. Only 2 crab.

FYI... Watch out for a sunken log at the entrance to MacDonald launch off the Fraser. Seen it on high tide when going out and when we came in later didn't see anything but clipped something with the prop. No damage but something was there. Will look closer on the sounder going though there next time.
Cheers, R

FYI... Watch out for a sunken log at the entrance to MacDonald launch off the Fraser. Seen it on high tide when going out and when we came in later didn't see anything but clipped something with the prop. No damage but something was there. Will look closer on the sounder going though there next time.
Cheers, R
It was there when I came back in at 3pm. About a 6" diameter stick. Almost dead center of the entrance.

Hit the freighters today @ 1:00. Solo trip. Beauty day out there. Sunny & glassy. 4 fish in one hour. 2 undersized released. Got sealed on another under and he broke me off. 4th fish was a good one but got sealed again. Tried to run the ******* over, at least got my gear back.
166’ & 177’. Skinny G Herring aid and No Bananas.

I’m going shopping for a .22 next week.

Guys. I kid you not I have NEVER been sealed. I'm honestly shocked at how often people do. There's no point to this comment. Just a cool story...bro.
You have to hook into some fish once in a while to get sealed:; I went years without it happening. Now the last couple times I've been out I fed those pricks. It is a super frustrating experience. Hope you never deal with it.

You have to hook into some fish once in a while to get sealed:; I went years without it happening. Now the last couple times I've been out I fed those pricks. It is a super frustrating experience. Hope you never deal with it.
I tried putting a emoji in there but it didn't work. Lol.

did you call the city of richmond and report it or talk to the caretaker at macdonald beach

damn seals
No. There often seems to be logs floating around in there. Just not usually in the middle of the entrance. Figured it would be moved along with the next tide change. Does the city/caretaker actually deal with that kind of thing?

That’s why I packed it in after an action packed hour today. Awesome day out there, but I could see the direction it was going in, surrounded by a few seals.

Gave up on Salmon and went looking for herring to jig up. Need some Hali bait.

That’s why I packed it in after an action packed hour today. Awesome day out there, but I could see the direction it was going in, surrounded by a few seals.

Gave up on Salmon and went looking for herring to jig up. Need some Hali bait.
Find any? I caught a bucket full off west van late summer. I was hoping to find a new way to get some smelts. Just Herring though.

Find any? I caught a bucket full off west van late summer. I was hoping to find a new way to get some smelts. Just Herring though.
Not today.

waiting for the big spawning events and the commercial fishery gong show to go join the party. Last year around Hornby Denman first week of March was a blast. Hundreds of sea lions, dozens of commercial boats, birds, whales.. total circus.

I've been told seals are worse this year then ever. I got sealed at Grace a couple weeks ago every time a fish was hooked. We just left to the waterfall to join 2 other boats to increase chances. But I feel it just increased the seals chances. My theory is that pack of transient killer whales hasn't shown up yet this year. The seals are roaming and hunting us with no repercussions.

Back