2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

First fishing lesson of 2021 learned! Went out for prawning yesterday in Howe sound. Set up 4 traps (2 weighted trap on a line) and soaked it for 2 hours. Went to pick them up and found out my brand new Ace line hauler was not working. Had to pull all the those heavy traps manually, my arms still soars -:). Next time I'll be checking my equipment before I leave home. Oh I almost forgot, 2 crab traps as well.

First fishing lesson of 2021 learned! Went out for prawning yesterday in Howe sound. Set up 4 traps (2 weighted trap on a line) and soaked it for 2 hours. Went to pick them up and found out my brand new Ace line hauler was not working. Had to pull all the those heavy traps manually, my arms still soars -:). Next time I'll be checking my equipment before I leave home. Oh I almost forgot, 2 crab traps as well.
Pictures? How were the prawn numbers?

Last edited:
What was wrong with the hauler?

What was wrong with the hauler?
I am not sure what was wrong but I bought the puller in summer used it once and it was fine. yesterday when I was going to pull my traps up, plug it in, turn the switch on and it blew the fuse .then I plug it to the other side and turn the switch on, blew the fuse again. I was using my down riggers earlier from same socket with no problem. Anyone else experience this with Ace line hauler before?

I am not sure what was wrong but I bought the puller in summer used it once and it was fine. yesterday when I was going to pull my traps up, plug it in, turn the switch on and it blew the fuse .then I plug it to the other side and turn the switch on, blew the fuse again. I was using my down riggers earlier from same socket with no problem. Anyone else experience this with Ace line hauler before?

I was blowing fuses with my Ace hauler before switching to 40 amp fuses. 30 amp in swells, extended depths, and possibly pulling yourself towards your traps seem difficult for 30 amp fuses. Ace also recommends 40 amp, even though 10 ga wire (largest they indicate to use for runs over 15 ft) is only rated for 30 amp. Perhaps you are experiencing this issue.

Put a 40AMP fuse on the puller side. If it blew before pulling the load, you may want to take it for a warranty repair.

Nice to hear Dogbreath thanks for info, and method to my madness and spending: If anyone interested and don't mind the cold, rain and wind; Herring are in heavy right now off docks in Richmond. Easily caught on sabiki rigs, and are really chrome and clean looking with the ice cold water this time of year. So we have all kinds of "dead" bait to try these new toys on - and all sizes of bait to play with, from firecrackers to jumbos.
Where would one go to try this exactly. I would love to get my kids on these.

I was blowing fuses with my Ace hauler before switching to 40 amp fuses. 30 amp in swells, extended depths, and possibly pulling yourself towards your traps seem difficult for 30 amp fuses. Ace also recommends 40 amp, even though 10 ga wire (largest they indicate to use for runs over 15 ft) is only rated for 30 amp. Perhaps you are experiencing this issue.
I use 40 amp for both sockets. The fuse blew before I put any load on puller.

OUCH!!!

#2 road and #3 road public fishing piers. south end of each road, high-mid tide. Watch for schools, cast over to them with long spinning rod and sabiki rigs, might be harder for kids, but sometimes schools are in close to dock, varies. If many people bad idea for kids - crossed lines and all, cast up current ( 11 o-clock) , drift down and repeat, pick up 2-4 fish each cast. . go high tide when miserable out. Less people. Someone said same can be done at Whiterock.

I experienced the same thing and change wire gauge and fuses. Since then no issues. The older Aces worked fine on 30amp. The new ones need more.

Nice to hear Dogbreath thanks for info, and method to my madness and spending: If anyone interested and don't mind the cold, rain and wind; Herring are in heavy right now off docks in Richmond. Easily caught on sabiki rigs, and are really chrome and clean looking with the ice cold water this time of year. So we have all kinds of "dead" bait to try these new toys on - and all sizes of bait to play with, from firecrackers to jumbos.
You got herring in the Fraser river, I call bs herring are salt water only. Never heard of it before and I grew up on the river

You got herring in the Fraser river, I call bs herring are salt water only. Never heard of it before and I grew up on the river
The Steveston part of the Fraser is very salty brackish water. So is a lot of the lower Fraser River. And yes Herring are caught there from the docks every year from Dec to March. You can also catch chub, shiner's (perch), flounder, sculpin, shad, pike minnows, and suckers off the docks there.

The Steveston part of the Fraser is very salty brackish water. So is a lot of the lower Fraser River. And yes Herring are caught there from the docks every year from Dec to March. You can also catch chub, shiner's (perch), flounder, sculpin, shad, pike minnows, and suckers off the docks there.
I know of all those other fish but never heard of herring in the Fraser

Yes that right it's BS Spring Time! You caught me! ( wink wink everyone else) you better just stay away from the #3 road fishing dock and certainly don't ask for my Sturgeon Slaying buddy Al ( squat older Chinese man long hair, awesome mechanic, great guy) , who is most definitely not getting a full cooler of non-herring every day for crew to fish with - with plenty of bait for the whole season, plus extras for the prawn traps, So yes definitely not happening, and I spent 10 days photo-shopping each herring, just to try and fool you!

Back