I’m looking for some help from anyone who has been having success in Sidney lately. I’m taking a work buddy out on Wednesday afternoon and he’s super gung ho about fishing.
it’s a very high slack tide from 4:00 till sunset. Where should I go, how deep and what should I use? I believe the slot is off tomorrow so I’d love a chance to hook a big one

pm me if you don’t want to give up your tips and I’ll zip my lips after

I’m looking for some help from anyone who has been having success in Sidney lately. I’m taking a work buddy out on Wednesday afternoon and he’s super gung ho about fishing.
it’s a very high slack tide from 4:00 till sunset. Where should I go, how deep and what should I use? I believe the slot is off tomorrow so I’d love a chance to hook a big one

I’m heading out this weekend and will try a bunch of spots. I’ll pm you with a spot I like, but haven’t tried for 12 months

Fished Hamley area on Saturday for several hours, no action at all for us, only saw 2 nets out all day but saw lots of US boats running over from the San Juan Islands. Towards the end of the day we were the only Canadian boat there...what's up with that? I guess as long as you don't bounce your cannonball on the bottom you're not officially "in Canada"

Fished Hamley area on Saturday for several hours, no action at all for us, only saw 2 nets out all day but saw lots of US boats running over from the San Juan Islands. Towards the end of the day we were the only Canadian boat there...what's up with that? I guess as long as you don't bounce your cannonball on the bottom you're not officially "in Canada"
Washington marine area 7 (San Juan islands) was only open for salmon fishing from July 1 through 7 this year. Might not be open again until next July. That’s what’s up.

I was unaware you could cross the border, fish then go back across? How does fisheries in the US know you caught a fish in Canada as opposed to a closed US area?

They were doing it all day Sunday when I was out there
Last I heard you could not buy fishing license's online if you were out of the country, had to buy them on site. Could these yanks be fishing without license's?

Last edited by a moderator:
not so. They are fishing illegally

Last I heard you could not buy fishing license's online if you were out of the country, had to buy them on site. Could these yanks be fishing without license's?
Totally legal. You can buy nonresident license online and it is legal for use. There’s some rule with fishing halibut in certain area where the license must be bought in person. Customs doesn’t require a check in if you don’t land or anchor. Washington fisheries requires an online notification if people are going fishing in Canada and will allow fish to travel back to port if marked on a valid Canadian license.

Totally legal. You can buy nonresident license online and it is legal for use. There’s some rule with fishing halibut in certain area where the license must be bought in person. Customs doesn’t require a check in if you don’t land or anchor. Washington fisheries requires an online notification if people are going fishing in Canada and will allow fish to travel back to port if marked on a valid Canadian license.
interesting....you are saying these guys have valid licenses can enter Canada legally, harvest out fish and not spend a dime.
the info I was given was from a local fish retailer 2 years ago. Guess things have changed. Guess you can't believe everything you are told.

That was the case until they opened the border in early August. Not sure about the legalities of fishing across the border right now. I suppose if the RCMP/CBSA is not out there enforcing it anymore they don't care.

If the wind is down, I'd run to Pender and fish the open area off Wallace Point. Had great luck there in late august in previous years. Lots of good lumps to fish and could get into a ling or even some late-season pinks. Magic depth for me has been 120' with anchovy.

1630521507815.png

Tried just about everything tonight.
Dipped the net, chanted here fishy fishy. Randomly said that we were gonna get a big fish… NOW! (As we pointed to a rod on the holder)
Let’s see what else… Classic rock music, country music, a little old skool rap music. Uhh, Eating while saying that if we eat the fish will eat. Peed off the side of the boat.
I ran out of ideas at that point and it was just a good old fashioned skunking.

Tried just about everything tonight.
Dipped the net, chanted here fishy fishy. Randomly said that we were gonna get a big fish… NOW! (As we pointed to a rod on the holder)
Let’s see what else… Classic rock music, country music, a little old skool rap music. Uhh, Eating while saying that if we eat the fish will eat. Peed off the side of the boat.
I ran out of ideas at that point and it was just a good old fashioned skunking.

My go to is answer a phone call or make a phone call, you can add that to your repertoire. "Oh ****, got a bite, gotta go"

Did the run over tp Pender and fished the area RogersonCruso pointed out. Picked up a 9-10lb spring some good sized pinks and Hatchery Coho. Not a bad afternoon.
The secret was opening a beer and pouring a sacrificial amount into the water for the fish gods.

Did the run over tp Pender and fished the area RogersonCruso pointed out. Picked up a 9-10lb spring some good sized pinks and Hatchery Coho. Not a bad afternoon.
The secret was opening a beer and pouring a sacrificial amount into the water for the fish gods.
You're welcome!
I'm fishing vicariously through all of you - while I'm landlocked without a rigged boat.

Hey guys, Im back from guiding for the season now. My builder has asked me to get some pics asap for a feature in a local magazine, so if anybodys out on the water today Id love to get an action shot. If not no big deal, Ill just dunk it and get a few dock shots. I hope everybody had a good season locally!

Back