Took out some buddies this morning that usually can't get out. Started at Sidney Spit hit a few unders so stayed around and picked up a keeper a bunch more unders and lost another screamer. Another nice beautiful morning off Sidney and home for lunch and a bevy.

Got out from 4-7 yesterday. Instead of camping out at Sidney Spit, as per my usual, decided to give Fairfax a try.
Lost a good one right at the "open" line. Didn't see it, but felt about 12-14? Picked it up about 10 minutes after dropping the lines, so I was pumped!

Made the corner to the East side of Moresby and spent the remaining couple hours picking up the odd pink. I wanted some to smoke, so mission accomplished there. I wouldn't call them "thick", but consistent bite every 10 minutes or so.
3 in the cooler, 5 more lost.

Pink squirt / French Onion
Green 4" Needlefish GSB / Footloose Flasher.

Mixed depths from 55-80 on the DR and 190-350ft of water

Sunday Aug 3rd, trolled Fairfax dragging everything but the kitchen sink.
Landed the tiniest hatchery Chinook I've ever seen on a cop car Skinny G straight off the point on the bottom. One of our downriggers decided to quit (faulty plug) so we had to troll a 40' diver and a spoon which worked for pinks.
Eventually had three hookups on a 5" Tomic in white glow on the rocky section due west of the point, just off the bottom. We lost them all due to general incompetence. We did however get a really nice ~15 lb fish to the net before it came unbuttoned.
The bite seemed to die around 1:30 PM

...And like that... Poof. All the fish are gone!

Took a couple coworkers out to the East side of Moresby to dredge up a few pinks yesterday evening. Despite clouds of bait on the surface, a couple of seals and some scattered birds, there was nothing going on. I played one fish to the surface, but then it spat the hook shortly after we arrived (5:45 ish). But then silence until we packed up at 8.
It was super busy! There must have been 8 boats out! Didn't see a net, and a lot of shrugs as we passed.

Green Grandslam Bucktail and Footloose flasher got the bite.

Talk about a sunset though!
1628873035425.png

Last edited:
Out to the spit this morning, boated one about 10# on first pass dragging bottom. Net ended up in the water on the solo net job so had to use the gaff. If anyone catches a nice net i'll reward you with some beer.

Out to the spit this morning, boated one about 10# on first pass dragging bottom. Net ended up in the water on the solo net job so had to use the gaff. If anyone catches a nice net i'll reward you with some beer.
Oh crap! Lost the net. That might be the only I catch tonight if I get out. Tried over at hamley Tuesday bright and early. Nothing. Not a peep. So lame. One other boat trolling along the wall too. I don’t think he landed anything either. It’s all pretty discouraging. What did you get the 10# er on?

^^^ Too late, its gone. lol, sorry Jeff
Friday the 13th! We lost ours tonight too. South of Ker Island. Just planed up and it slid down the gunwhale, somehow jumped over a rigger and it didn’t get caught. Bloop in the water. Spun around fast as we watched the handle go down… $140 Scotty net. Gone. Wild. ‍♂️

Oh crap! Lost the net. That might be the only I catch tonight if I get out. Tried over at hamley Tuesday bright and early. Nothing. Not a peep. So lame. One other boat trolling along the wall too. I don’t think he landed anything either. It’s all pretty discouraging. What did you get the 10# er on?
Friday the 13th! We lost ours tonight too. South of Ker Island. Just planed up and it slid down the gunwhale, somehow jumped over a rigger and it didn’t get caught. Bloop in the water. Spun around fast as we watched the handle go down… $140 Scotty net. Gone. Wild. ‍♂️
I lost two nets then I did this

Green and glow wee gee

I thought I’d throw out a Hail Mary attempt to catch not only my first Chinook for the season, but the first Chinook on my boat. (I just renewed the insurance, so it’s been one year)

I was planning on going to south pender but decided to make a stop on the south of coal island as there were a few boats around and it was glassy calm. Got my first rod down and reached for my second rod when BAM!! pin popper. Had a nice little battle, didn’t have my net out yet, so I got her close and one nice gaff shot to the dome. 10-12lbs

5 minutes and my fishing session was done. I had the crab pots down so I decided to go for a cruise to pender to kill time and go see a bud there.

headed back and got my 4 dungees. Great day!!!

salty dawg with no bananas skinny g
91’ in 100’

As you can see, I like my Chinook like I like my women. LOTS OF TAIL!

DFD4BDEF-DA15-4080-BC1F-B3235FE7793D.jpeg

Last edited:
Each and every time I use the Tulista launch it makes me want to buy a boat slip more and more.

today a guy tried to leap frog me on the retrieval as I went to my truck. I was back and ready to pick up before the the guy before me was out of the water with his. I explained to the budger how a lineup works and to move his boat.

He did…

Maybe it was because I had 10” and 100lbs on him. or maybe it was the 11” bubba knife I was yielding at the time.
Bad butt!

Dad and I went to Moresby/Fairfax yesterday, we were still down a downrigger so we had to resort to using a 40' diver instead.
We trolled around with until the wind came up on Haro, our 16' boat is not sheltered so we decided to troll over to Coal. We did not get a single bite high or low until we reached Dock island, the eastern most of the Little Group of islands south of Coal. We picked up what I am positive was a small wild coho on a lure called a 'Ross swimmer tail" This being on the diver rod. Unfortunately the trout sized fish brained itself on the large hook and was dead by the time I reeled it in. We proceeded to spend the rest of the day jigging and mostly catching dogfish.

Green and glow wee gee
Nice! When we all say “the spit” do you mean in miners channel between the spit and Forrest Isl. or out front of the horn of the spit in the 100’ section. I never know where to fish out here as we just got our boat in May. I’ve only ever caught one fish in the entrance to the spit on a tack south and east to Kerr towards Forrest. Tried last night for 2 hours with not even a sniff (again).

Dad and I went to Moresby/Fairfax yesterday, we were still down a downrigger so we had to resort to using a 40' diver instead.
We trolled around with until the wind came up on Haro, our 16' boat is not sheltered so we decided to troll over to Coal. We did not get a single bite high or low until we reached Dock island, the eastern most of the Little Group of islands south of Coal. We picked up what I am positive was a small wild coho on a lure called a 'Ross swimmer tail" This being on the diver rod. Unfortunately the trout sized fish brained itself on the large hook and was dead by the time I reeled it in. We proceeded to spend the rest of the day jigging and mostly catching dogfish.
Sounds bout right for our area! Not holding much. Didn’t see any bait anywhere last night and we covered some ground. Trolling to the open line at area 19.

Dragged around some go-to gear around Coal Islets yesterday evening. Never seen so much bait in the area before. Boiling at the surface and thicc balls on the bottom, but alas. Not a sniff for us and the four other boats in the area.

Back