Nice to know that there are actually halibut around in Sidney!!!!!!! What a great surprise, I'll be anchoring up around Moresby with the other 25 guys this weekend, ha...

Good luck! I've been here for 4 years and have put many a shift in anchored for Hali around Sidney without any luck, turns out I was doing it all wrong lol.

Couldn’t resist a beauty of a night to be sitting in the water and getting the lines tight. Spent 3 hours at Fairfax and hooked into three, two spat the hook after a couple good runs and we were lucky enough to get this one to the boat. All caught at 100’ between 120’ - 150’ on a green spoon and green flasher.

Attachments

• 1769213A-7321-4F4B-99E1-AB784735DC93.jpeg
    1769213A-7321-4F4B-99E1-AB784735DC93.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 166
Couldn’t resist a beauty of a night to be sitting in the water and getting the lines tight. Spent 3 hours at Fairfax and hooked into three, two spat the hook after a couple good runs and we were lucky enough to get this one to the boat. All caught at 100’ between 120’ - 150’ on a green spoon and green flasher.
That appears to be a big fish. What do you estimate it at?

A tubby little football.

Holy hell! It's been 9 months since I've been on the boat. One project led to another, the weather wasn't cooperating, and the DFO announcement sucked all motivation out.
But Lo! I got out yesterday evening for the 2021 Maiden Voyage. Just a couple hours around high slack in the late afternoon for some jigging with my new setup.

Jigged around Sidney Spit and saw some bait balls, but nothing really special. Had one decent hit and brought a small lingcod to the boat.

All in all, it's good to be back.

Haven't fished Sidney for a couple of years, It was the only area that was not windy. Fished 4:30am - 10:00am Friday, It was a great day. No one around. C &R 5 for 9 on springs. Biggest 12 lbs. One double header and got Sealed with about a 10lber. Tons of bait. Ended the day with 2 monster Dungeness and hard as bullets.

I was on ramp duty Sunday at tulista with Sidney anglers and last night a fisherman asked us if we had found 2 rods at the ramp. He said they were were Rhinos or ugly sticks ( neon tips). Thinks he might have left them on the recovery ramp. If anyone picked them up it would be much appreciated if he could get them back

Sidney spit was a red rock crab fest but even worse for a sailboater and commercial crabber. F bombs flying while everyone had kids on the beach. Commercial might have set over his anchor? Sailboater had a commercial trap and bouy in his dingy. RCMP and Parks doing an investigation.

Only 2 female dungies. Had a nice long cod on my sons rod but it broke the line. Spooked his other up with 10lb maxima and will do the other shortly.

I took my dad out yesterday to hunt crab and try for a lil’ C&R springs action. We did a few lengths of moresby (was I even allowed?) and there was a very decent amount of bait there. After about 2 hours throwing a handful of spoons and hoochies down at different depths, I had a mighty wallop on a cop car/cop car coho killer combo. 123 in 140

It took a couple little runs, and poof. So long. My guess was 12 pounds. Either it hit bigger than it wasor fought smaller.

hit my crab spot where we had our 4 pots laid out. First two had a couple each and last two had 20+ inside. Picked 8 and cruised back in a bit of slop.

Anyone finding coho around? If so, where? Dying to get out there Aug 1st but it sucks targeting fish you can’t keep!

Anyone finding coho around? If so, where? Dying to get out there Aug 1st but it sucks targeting fish you can’t keep!
Coho in Sidney waters are few and far between in my experience. Your best bet would be the open parts of Pender Island (either way offshore the bluffs or off south Pender). Pinks should be pretty thick there in about week.

Out today for an early start at Hamley with a few other boats. Kept one pink. Lost a small one. Saw two boats land two low teen springs. Then headed out for Halibut but caught too many dogs so packed it in after lunch. As usual, springs are out there in Sidney, just not in numbers.

Started at Coal Island @ around 7:30 this morning. Fish on within about 2 minutes but a long line release. Lots of bait but no bites for the next few hours. Ran to S Pender. A few more long line releases (likely Pinks) before we landed a Pink. We were fishing a bit deeper and trying to target Springs with no results. There are definitely some Pinks around though. A few jumpers and some other boats catching Pinks.

FYI, we noticed quite a few boats fishing the SW side of Moresby - which is still closed for Chinook retention.

Lots of enforcement out there. We were pulled over by both Fisheries for a license and hook check as well as an RCMP boat. I'm an old white guy with a boat so I'm thinking it is definitely racial targeting?

Back