Took a few laps at Coal this morning. Out from 9:30 to noon. No bites. Very little bait showing on the sounder. @Reel Gone must have caught the only fish ;)

Absolutely magical day! Went out 15 minutes from Tulista to my new honey hole. Dropped anchor, and boom 117cm halibut. Super fat weighed in over 55lbs!!!
Good job were you fishing deep? I’ve tried both 300+ and 180 and pretty much everythingin between. Lol still trying to dial in depth.

April fools!!!!

Why does April Fools' end at 12?​

According to tradition, April Fool's Day pranks are meant to end at 12 noon sharp - a handy rule for parents wanting to minimise fooling around at the dinner table.

Anyone playing a joke after midday is considered the 'April Fool'.

The origin of this particular rule was not clear.

It is also believed that jokes played after noon bring bad luck to the perpetrator

Hmmmm, bad luck? Best get in a new pallet of canon balls. Lol

Anchored for halibut yesterday around Zero Rock, but no luck, not even a dogfish( rethinking why its called Zero Rock) Saw a couple of other boats out towards Oak Bay, but all in all very quiet. Turned into a beauty of a day out there weather wise, so by no means a write off.

Tried some Prawn fishing in the Inlet and the first day was pretty good with pretty good numbers of large prawns. Today, the second day, it seemed a lot sparser and we hauled a couple of traps full of Squat Lobsters. Funny about the squats because we were fishing no deeper than our first outing and only caught one. I guess they move in the water column as well? Sure busy in there lots of traps in the water.

Tried some Prawn fishing in the Inlet and the first day was pretty good with pretty good numbers of large prawns. Today, the second day, it seemed a lot sparser and we hauled a couple of traps full of Squat Lobsters. Funny about the squats because we were fishing no deeper than our first outing and only caught one. I guess they move in the water column as well? Sure busy in there lots of traps in the water.
We get those Squats when we go any deeper than 220
How deep were you?

Possibly your traps had moved a little ? Also I find muddy/ flat bottom to be more likely to get the squat lobster.

There are some large tides lately so I suspect prawning to slow down for the next week or so. The beginning of the month was better

We get those Squats when we go any deeper than 220
How deep were you?
Both days we were about 260 or 270. That had been really productive until yesterday. I suspect Slabbed out may be on to something.

Back