2021 Prince Rupert Fishing Report

Thanks for the most excellent report.

Where is "The Brain"?

We are loaded to leave tomorrow bright and early: 11 hours to Port Ed.
We will probably stick to Humpback, Edyie, and maybe Avery.

Where the springs the same depth as the coho? We usually set the riggers to 60'-75' on one side and 120ish on the other. Am I in the
Thanks for the most excellent report.

Where is "The Brain"?

We are loaded to leave tomorrow bright and early: 11 hours to Port Ed.
We will probably stick to Humpback, Edyie, and maybe Avery.

Where the springs the same depth as the coho? We usually set the riggers to 60'-75' on one side and 120ish on the other. Am I in the ballpark?

Prince Leboo island AKA “the brain” south west corner of Dundas at Avery we run 35 right side & 55 left side. We like being close to structure to suck out the springs. 11 hours I wish lol 14.5 home for me.

Alright the yearly trip comes to and end the weather and salmon fishing were one for the ages. Best stretch of weather in over 25 years of coming here.
Day-1
Run over to Avery made a few tacks along the south of the lighthouse only picking up a few nice coho. Once the tide eased up a little we trolled out into the mouth a little chop along the wall but we started picking up really nice coho and two 20lb springs. We tried herring anchovies spoons and skirts. All produced but anchovies were hands down favourites. Killer whales showed up with dolphins playing around them no idea how many whales they kept coming and coming rough guess 50. Run outside treated to flat seas dropped for lings only picking up 1 decided to catch the end of tide change for halibut. Drop anchor on my closest waypoint three nice halies in the bucket in quick order . End the day with 8 plump coho 2 football springs 1 ling 3 halibut and a few big sea bass.

Day-2
Winds say go fish the brain boy was the wind correct. Lost a big spring in the kelp 5 minutes after dropping gear setting up a great trip. We figured out a new to us tack combined with knowledge we’ve gained over the years of structure. The big northern coho everywhere and steady chaos on the deck and toss in a nice spring for every five coho to the boat. Slipped outside with 8 more fatty coho 3 25lb springs and 3 ling. Drop anchor on a halibut spot send my gear down dad and the boy fiddling with there baits boom 45lber to the boat. They drop down kid hooks up another 45lber dad hooks a 88cm just after we finished with Kalums fish. On the trip in a humpback breached 200 yards in front of us going through a narrow pass CRAZY. Pull up full crab pots and a 30 prawns in the traps beer and fresh bugs for supper.

To put a cherry on top we seen the big coast guys fishing and filming an episode. I told kalum look over there it’s the the big coast crew my son loves watching the show dreaming about his trips out here. So kalum immediately runs out on deck yells HI TIM the boys all turn around and give a wave and hello back. Couldn’t get the grin off his face all day.
Thanks guys you made him a very happy boy

Day-3
Back up to the brain the action left off right where it was the day before got two springs over 30 to the boat five over twenty and a bunch in the teens. Coho feeding frenzy enough said there. Highlight of the day both kalum and myself doing battle with a bull sea lion over salmon while trying to net fish. Headed over to a few ling piles pick up three and lost lots due to malfunctioning gear. Had a 40ish pound ling beside the boat for five minutes watching a little rockfish twitch on dads hook. No commitment and away it went unbothered little rockfish got to go home. Treated to more full crab pots and a few more prawns.

Day-4
My wife joined us for the day so back up to the brain the action intensified non stop action all morning what a treat catching salmon shallow water on calm seas we got two more springs over 30lbs 4 in the 20’s and a few teens. I got a monster Black Sea bass while trolling around we got a few more lings.

Day-5
Hungover up at holiday island lots of pinks only a few coho decided breakfast at most dicks and a nap is a better idea.

What a trip we had this year again thank you so very much Mother Nature for the show you out on.
Awesome post! Got us so excited for our trip. We head there Monday. Fingers crossed we get seas like you had.

We will be getting to Prince Rupert on Aug. 18th for a week or so. Will the coho still be around? Any suggestions for locations by then?

We will be getting to Prince Rupert on Aug. 18th for a week or so. Will the coho still be around? Any suggestions for locations by then?
The coho should continue to get bigger as the northern run shows up here. I would expect you’ll find them everywhere. All the typical spots will have them. But if the wind permit and you have enough boat go to the top end of the work channel It should be the spot to be.

Just got back.
My wife and I had an amazing 2 days of fishing.

We launched out of Port Edward (free launch and free parking) early on Sunday morning after sleeping in the boat in the parking lot.
Got lost a bit in the fog Sunday morning but the GPS got us across the channel to Humpback Bay.

Fishing was actually kinda slow on Sunday until my wife MADE ME talk to another fisherman on depth and tackle. (This was totally against my nature as one is suppose to know these details intuitively).

Fished Humpback for a few hours then went to Edye Pass to complete the day. We did catch our limit but it took well into the evening.

A lot of boats out for the North Coast: 3 at Humpback and probably 16 at Edye. Whales did a swim by which is always fun.
We returned to Humpback and anchored for the night in the bay.

The next morning we were fishing before 6 am. As slow as Sunday was, Monday started with an 8 lb coho within two minutes of dropping the first line. For 45 minutes I could not get the second down rigger set and lowered as the first one would hardly settle without a strike. 3 coho to the boat in half an hour and then nothing. A lot of long-line releases as well.

Monday was clear and calm so we decided to try Avery which is about 35 minutes away at cruising speed. Lots of boats at Avery, maybe 12.
Fishing was fast and furious.

We were done by noon with tired arms. We didn't get into the large northerns: the fish we caught were all in the 6-8 lb range. We are rookies so we were happy.

We tried a couple of places for halibut but they outsmarted me again.

Thoughts on North Coast:
1. Talked to one tackle store regarding bait: apparently there is a group of 5 or 6 people who buy all the anchovies from Terrace west. Don't count on buying the right bait. I could not get a strike on herring.

2. Even though Port Edward offers free launch and parking, they are not really set up for out of area sports fishers. Almost all services are geared towards commercial fishers. When I am on "holidays" I don't mind spending some cash on goods and services BUT have the goods and services there. We have learned to go as self-sufficiently as possible. Other then fuel for boat ( burned less than 1/2 tank) and getting there, Ice was our major expense ($30 lol). Port Edward USE TO have an honour box for shaved ice: not any more. We had to buy commercial gas station ice.

3. Diesel for truck was $450 ( about 2000 km return) and probably $200 for boat (haven't topped up yet) so the cost to me is about the same as trailering the boat to Vancouver Island with the ferry costs.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Last edited:
The coho should continue to get bigger as the northern run shows up here. I would expect you’ll find them everywhere. All the typical spots will have them. But if the wind permit and you have enough boat go to the top end of the work channel It should be the spot to be.
Is the boat launch at the bottom of Work Channel sufficient for a bunk trailer? I haven't been there for about 8 years but it used to be a bit primitive. With my old aluminum and roller trailer I could launch in quite shallow water. With my new (to me) boat, not so much.

Is the boat launch at the bottom of Work Channel sufficient for a bunk trailer? I haven't been there for about 8 years but it used to be a bit primitive. With my old aluminum and roller trailer I could launch in quite shallow water. With my new (to me) boat, not so much.
I'm certain it hasn't changed since you were in there it's been about the same amount of time for me being there. I also wasn't a fan pretty gross actually when I went in for a look people using the bathroom right along the road ect. When I fished the the inlet to the work channel I launched out of Rupert and run up the coast. Bait was tough to get this year we get the local bait shop at home to bring in ours now before we leave. works out good we have them salted and ready for fishing on the way out.

Have a day off fishing due to weather so I have time for a report.
Aug 1 - Fished around Meville. Foggy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon. Fishing was slow for salmon, only caught one pink and did a long line release on a coho. Bottom fishing was a little better, caught 5 under size halibuts, kept a small one for supper since it could not be realsed.

Aug 2 - Weather was good so we made the run to Dundas. Fishing was excellent. Limited out on salmon within two hours for 3 guys. Managed to get two chinooks, 16 and 24 pounds. The rest were coho. Green and white hoochie was the biggest produce. Managed to catch a few on bait and spoons. It was utter pandimonium on the boat for that breif period of time. Bottom fishing was poor. Did not find any concentrations of fish. Kept 3 rock fish.

Aug 3 - Headed back to Dundas. Weather was good for the run out. The bite was not as good as the previous day. We caught 6 glood sized coho, before having to leave as the weather was turing. Tried to duck in by some of the smaller islands on the way back to try some bottom fishing, but the wind would not allow it. So we bagan the slow lumpy ride back. Half way back the winds subsided for a time so we tried bottom fishing on humps. Caught a few yellow eye rockfish, used the seaqualizer to send them home. Quit after we started to drift too fast.

Hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow.

Ooops posted this to the archive reports.

Got out for our first day this morning for a couple hours as we wanted a fresh dungy lunch. So we dropped the traps outside Port Ed and trolled along Smith Island while they soaked. Picked up a 7 lbs coho and a 15 lbs Spring in quick order. Coho on purple onion and lime hootchie at 50'. Spring at 30' on a green/silver flasher and army truck hootchie. Lots of small crab but got 5 keepers for lunch. Not sure if it was luck but didn't need to burn any gas running out to Edye pass or Squatterie to get into fish.

Heading out tomorrow till Sunday.. Hows it been and where has it been? Any advise would be great!!
A buddy of mine just got home this morning the run into some weather last week but still managed some nice coho at Avery and the brain. Didn’t do very well at the balls

I was able to get out one last day on Aug 5th. Fished at North end of Dundas. Only took an hour to get our last six salmon. All coho. Hoochies were the most effective. We then concentrated on bottom fishing for the rest of the day. Since current was to strong to jig we trolled with large white hoochies to catch a variety of fish. Trolling depth was any where from 100 - 150 feet depending on structure. Still caught a number of salmon trolling at 0.9 mph.

During the tide change we caught two 84 cm halibut and a 10lb ling using jigs and bait. Also a variety of rock fish. For a last day effort we did ok.

Ride back was slow as the wind picked up and was out of the SW.

Back