2021 Port Renfrew Reports

Just got back from the long weekend, not hot and heavy but if you put in time there's springs around, managed to grab 3 around 26-28lbs and some teeners with them aswell. We had better luck just up from woods nose . Good weather along with that aswell!
Thanks for the report. I’m coming up tomorrow for the week.
T2

Just got back from the long weekend, not hot and heavy but if you put in time there's springs around, managed to grab 3 around 26-28lbs and some teeners with them aswell. We had better luck just up from woods nose . Good weather along with that aswell!
Where is the woods nose. What was the winning combination

fished today at camper 7ish.fair bite at the tide change ,really kinda spread and steady with nets out.us snakebit ,hot teaser head from last report snapped and I lost 3springs….boat got quiet lol.moochers did good inside it seemed,
Swells built a bit on the flood ,no fog no wind.then a couple double headers at the three caves(sisters),anchovy.last one the hook pigtailed in the net.boats at woods nose and east point later,didn’t stop to fish though.
guides had Hali on the dock if you do that.gl

fished today at camper 7ish.fair bite at the tide change ,really kinda spread and steady with nets out.us snakebit ,hot teaser head from last report snapped and I lost 3springs….boat got quiet lol.moochers did good inside it seemed,
Swells built a bit on the flood ,no fog no wind.then a couple double headers at the three caves(sisters),anchovy.last one the hook pigtailed in the net.boats at woods nose and east point later,didn’t stop to fish though.
fished Sunday ,7ish ,no fog,lotsa boats woods nose,
Us camper,quieter than Friday,1130 maybe first spring,3sisters 60-70 ft of water,during a snapped cannon ball 1rod
replaced gear and steadily got 3 more and lost one at the boat.anchovies,I had small herring5inch in chovy holder ,switched back to chovy old275B (love that sound)sung,all 17-21lbs.240pm.
lessons learned,check bait religiously,some guides use 20 minutes.
and keep 1rod fishing,get it in and the “boat” fishing. figure it out later whatever’s happening no opinion just I’ve often seen the 1hot rod catch 3outa four.
ps.there was crabs in tubs if your crabbing.
gl

Well it’s been two years since we been able to fish your side of the pond hopefully weather will allow me to make the run! Hope to have a report Saturday night!

Fished this morning off East Point, managed a couple of smalls that we threw back, good pin popper and finally a scrappy 18 pounder on the outer edge of the point on a spoon at 52ft. Didn’t see much happening all morning so maybe west was best.

chatter at the dock was the last few mornings have been real solid up towards Camper and Logan whereas afternoons been solid at East. I’ll try west in the morning if the water stays down.

cheers

Fished this morning off East Point, managed a couple of smalls that we threw back, good pin popper and finally a scrappy 18 pounder on the outer edge of the point on a spoon at 52ft. Didn’t see much happening all morning so maybe west was best.

chatter at the dock was the last few mornings have been real solid up towards Camper and Logan whereas afternoons been solid at East. I’ll try west in the morning if the water stays down.

cheers

That’s been my program most of the summer. I took my parents out for a few hours this morning past Camper and it was lights out. Seems to just keep getting better the last few weeks. Crabbing has slowed but still enough around for a decent feed but not monsters like earlier in the year. My summer is almost over at our place here. Been great all around. Back to reality soon and freezing in the rink in August for kids hockey try outs! Lol

With all the road construction via highway 14/sooke is the preferred route to Renfrew going Lake Cowichan??

leaving from Victoria

With all the road construction via highway 14/sooke is the preferred route to Renfrew going Lake Cowichan??

leaving from Victoria
I does get a bit jammed up if you go the sooke way depending what time your going through, rush hr, I still go through sooke, driving around to Duncan is an extra hr if not more, plus on the week days watch for logging trucks on the lake cowichan side, lots of them

Last edited:
Don’t know what happened today, but it was dead out there. Saw one spring caught from Camper to Walbran. Over the last 8 days I’ve fished about 5 and the action was steady to excellent. Marked some fish, not a lot of bait. Saw a seiner out deeper outside of the bay, but I have no idea if that had anything to do with it. Saw no orcas. Tons of kelp, so I guess it was windy yesterday (I didn’t fish). Maybe just an off day.

Don’t know what happened today, but it was dead out there. Saw one spring caught from Camper to Walbran. Over the last 8 days I’ve fished about 5 and the action was steady to excellent. Marked some fish, not a lot of bait. Saw a seiner out deeper outside of the bay, but I have no idea if that had anything to do with it. Saw no orcas. Tons of kelp, so I guess it was windy yesterday (I didn’t fish). Maybe just an off day.
Seiner are test boat for sockeye, been going on for a month, kelp as been in the water for 2 months now in with the flood out with the ebb, dodging kelp has been part of fishing this year

Report from the old man fishing up there today was that it slowed down. Lost 1 and got 1 at first light then dead after that. It has been on fire for us since August 3rd so maybe that rain this past weekend moved the fish along.

And to the loser who stole our green roof for an 182 Malibu, Karma is a *****. Who steals a roof made specifically for a boat anyways??

Quick Tuesday evening, Wednesday morning trip for us.
Slow and inconsistent but still some very scrappy Chinook around. Bait and hootchies for us.

Report from the old man fishing up there today was that it slowed down. Lost 1 and got 1 at first light then dead after that. It has been on fire for us since August 3rd so maybe that rain this past weekend moved the fish along.
And to the loser who stole our green roof for an 182 Malibu, Karma is a *****. Who steals a roof made specifically for a boat a. Was this at PRM??? And when did this happen? Derby weekend ??

Back