2021 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

This week-end went on my 16ft fiberglass from Vancouver to p.Alberni for 2 nights with my friend.
Got:
1) 16 nize Sockeyes (2 possession limits) - around ChinaCreek, small pink skinny hoochies, 22inch leader, green glovy flasher 70-100 ft deep, 3 km/h speed;
2) 5 big Chinooks at Banfield - 6ft leader with anchovies, green/red flasher 120ft deep, boat at 200-250ft trolling 4-5 km/h speed;
3) 2 Rockfishes af Banfield;

So far best fishing experience in my life.

You're implying, but not explicitly stating, that you kept 16 sockeye, 5 chinook, and 2 rockfish for 2 days of fishing with 2 people. You can't keep more than 8 salmon per person (2 days of 4/person) anywhere in BC

Last edited:
Well,it's better that you get your knuckles rapped on this forum than by the DFO-a lesson learned.
One would hope lesson learned, sometimes I’m not so sure. You take the time and money to get out salmon fishing. You can understand directions on how to get there understand how to use a down rigger and all equipment. Set your lines, set up your GPS and sonar. Your reading comprehension is good enough to do all this yet not understand basic fishing regulations. I’m not so sure on that one. Me thinks he cares now because he got exposed, something tells me the regulations aren’t all that big of deal to them.

I’m not saying he’s a deliberate poacher per say, but gee whiz, where’s the give a **** factor here. Trust me I’m not sending emails to the Gestapo as we speak, it is what it is.

Still easy limits fir Sox. We had 16 by 10 and didn’t start until 6:30.
Some are starting to colour up.

Interestingly enough we also had 2 with lampreys attached and quite a number with lots of sea lice that are damaging the fish. Don’t like seeing either of that.

No need to gather up the pitch forks and fire, the guy made a mistake and owned up to it. Most of us ***** and talk **** regarding the regs and the master’s degree you need to decipher them and then when a person misreads we toast them? I’ll admit lol don’t fully know all the regs and often have to check up.

I have met many good people at p. Alberni and ChinaCreek campground, they gave me valuable advices. But right before leaving I wanted to find and thank them for all of it, but couldn't find them any more, so I thought I can help somebody here at least, that's why I posted my experience this forum.

Still easy limits fir Sox. We had 16 by 10 and didn’t start until 6:30.
Some are starting to colour up.

Interestingly enough we also had 2 with lampreys attached and quite a number with lots of sea lice that are damaging the fish. Don’t like seeing either of that.

the Fraser Sox that hold start to get littered with sea lice as they hold at the mouth River over the muddy bottom. Lots of slime usually too

I have met many good people at p. Alberni and ChinaCreek campground, they gave me valuable advices. But right before leaving I wanted to find and thank them for all of it, but couldn't find them any more, so I thought I can help somebody here at least, that's why I posted my experience this forum.
That’s exactly what this forum is for, sharing experiences, offering knowledge to others and learning from others with more information or knowledge.,now you know only 8 salmon total possession with only 4 allowed as Chinook mix and match the others.

It’s all good my man. I don’t mean to come down on you hard as we’ve all made mistakes and will continue to do so. And yes as stated those darn regulations at times couldn’t be more difficult to understand. I read them and re read them constantly for clarification and still have a tough time with it. Going forward just ensure you know what they are for the area you are headed and if your not sure, pick up the phone and contact the DFO to clarify.

Best of luck in future fishing and tight lines all around.

Calling all China Creek Sox pro's. Firstly I am no sockeye expert. I think I've fished them 6 or 7 times in my life. I've had successful days with limits and very frustrating days with lots of misses that I blame on "soft mouths" My two trips to CC this year were the later. 4 for 12 last week and 2 for about 20 yesterday. I'd love to say that it isn't my fault but many others are putting meat on the deck with no major problems. One of the things I've started to consider is that we fish straight braid on all our rods and have for about 20 years or more. I'm not looking to open a discussion about the pro and cons of either as my mind is made up there but I am pondering if mono would be far more forgiving and superior with respect to the sockeye fishery. I just can't understand why we are having so much trouble getting them to stick. Half the time they are gone before we can even get the rods out of the holders.

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Brian

Calling all China Creek Sox pro's. Firstly I am no sockeye expert. I think I've fished them 6 or 7 times in my life. I've had successful days with limits and very frustrating days with lots of misses that I blame on "soft mouths" My two trips to CC this year were the later. 4 for 12 last week and 2 for about 20 yesterday. I'd love to say that it isn't my fault but many others are putting meat on the deck with no major problems. One of the things I've started to consider is that we fish straight braid on all our rods and have for about 20 years or more. I'm not looking to open a discussion about the pro and cons of either as my mind is made up there but I am pondering if mono would be far more forgiving and superior with respect to the sockeye fishery. I just can't understand why we are having so much trouble getting them to stick. Half the time they are gone before we can even get the rods out of the holders.

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Brian
Single hooks or doubles?. I went back to doubles this year and losing a lot less. 5/0 in front of a 4/0
Tied close together. Bottom of top hook, touches eye of bottom hook. Black, not gun metal.

Single hooks or doubles?. I went back to doubles this year and losing a lot less. 5/0 in front of a 4/0
Tied close together. Bottom of top hook, touches eye of bottom hook. Black, not gun metal.
All singles, 4/0 I believe. I even tried trimming the squirt so the hook is almost dangling back. As far as color mostly black but I did run some silver as well. It didn't really seem to matter as we got lots of hits just not a lot of reliable hook ups. Thanks for the suggestion on doubles. I'll give that a go.

Back