2021 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

I know you should be there early, but how is the sockeye fishing on the evening shift? 6 to 10 pm?
It depends.....this year since the run looks good, a evening fish can be good depending if it's not too windy. They tend to bite just before it gets dark, I don't seem to catch many after 8. Every year different, I might go out one evening this week.

I have a question, might not be the right group.

I fished here 25 years ago when the run was a million fish, have been out of touch for twenty or so years. Used to camp at China Creek with all the Yankees. Camped in a tent, definitely an outlier. It was a daily gong show. The cleaning table had a bunch of Yanks from Idaho or Texas preparing their fish to be canned! Blasphemy to me. Different times.

Anyway, I live here now. Have fished a couple of seasons. Yes, the run is diminished, but the fish are smaller. They used to be eight pounds for a good one, now a two pounder is good. Why is that?

i may have asked this in the past so apologies.

Dan
So true. They have lost size for sure.
We all forget there are mass illegal netting’s of our fish in international waters…definitely impacting them more than any sport or Fn fishing at home.

It depends.....this year since the run looks good, a evening fish can be good depending if it's not too windy. They tend to bite just before it gets dark, I don't seem to catch many after 8. Every year different, I might go out one evening this week.
Great, thanks for the info.

I believe that over the years we have over fished the stocks and keep the larger fish and we have depleted the genre pool and that is why the fish are smaller. Keep taking the large fish and smaller fish are your brood stock.

Gillnet fishery was pretty good. (And by good it means Jimmy will do well as the prices suck.....totally sucks how a once vibrant fishery is now a DFO and corporate starvation operation for gillnetters) Anyways they are likely closed now for at least a couple of weeks.

Looks like there will be more fish streaming in over the next couple of weeks for the sporties as it’s not the peak yet. Enjoy the fishery.

Was quite lumpy this am out of CC. Gear down @630, fish on @ 720. Steady action 30-90 feet with reg sockeye gear. Lost a fair number due to our own mistakes…
Easy to find and great to play. If you get an opportunity to go, get at it now!

I have a question, might not be the right group.

I fished here 25 years ago when the run was a million fish, have been out of touch for twenty or so years. Used to camp at China Creek with all the Yankees. Camped in a tent, definitely an outlier. It was a daily gong show. The cleaning table had a bunch of Yanks from Idaho or Texas preparing their fish to be canned! Blasphemy to me. Different times.

Anyway, I live here now. Have fished a couple of seasons. Yes, the run is diminished, but the fish are smaller. They used to be eight pounds for a good one, now a two pounder is good. Why is that?

i may have asked this in the past so apologies.

Dan
yes, remember those days well. fished China Creek lots in the early 90's. it was mayhem just before sunrise. everyone scrabbling to get ready to get out on the water first. A fleet of lights heading out in the early morning darkness to there "chosen spots."
good size sockeye and some mighty big springs. Funny thing, some of the biggest fish were caught right in front of the marina.
Great fishing!! then down to a trickle, a gauntlet of commercial nets as far down the inlet you could see.
Back on shore, many yanks from Washington state with these huge motor homes, jarring sockeye constantly.
glad they put a stop to that !!
Good times, great memories.
Cheers !

yes, remember those days well. fished China Creek lots in the early 90's. it was mayhem just before sunrise. everyone scrabbling to get ready to get out on the water first. A fleet of lights heading out in the early morning darkness to there "chosen spots."
good size sockeye and some mighty big springs. Funny thing, some of the biggest fish were caught right in front of the marina.
Great fishing!! then down to a trickle, a gauntlet of commercial nets as far down the inlet you could see.
Back on shore, many yanks from Washington state with these huge motor homes, jarring sockeye constantly.
glad they put a stop to that !!
Good times, great memories.
Cheers !
Went out with my son and his sweetheart this morning , was a little like the old days with over 100? boats counted around us, I stopped counting at 88.20210627_162748.jpg
20210627_061226.jpg
Usual early sockeye bite for us, busy for a short time then nothing, 4-5 lbs? Let smaller ones go, 40-60ft
boat on trailer around 9am? before the heat got unbearable(for me anyway), then got to play with these 2 doh heads,
Stella on left and Storm on right while son cleaned fish,
received_497340045014553.jpeg

Last edited:
Went out with my son and his sweetheart this morning , was a little like the old days with over 100? boats counted around us, I stopped counting at 88.View attachment 67610
View attachment 67609
Usual early sockeye bite for us, busy for a short time then nothing, 4-5 lbs? Let smaller ones go, 40-60ft
boat on trailer around 9am? before the heat got unbearable(for me anyway), then got to play with these 2 doh heads,
Stella on left and Storm on right while son cleaned fish,
View attachment 67608
Stella and Storm look like a couple of beauties. Too hot for me, hope the fish hang around, can’t get out til Wednesday.

Fished Saturday and Sunday from China Creek. Saturday 6 nice ones all before 7 and then nothing so packed it in at 9am. Then went for a nice kayak trip for 3 hrs to cool down from heat. Sunday only 3 and fished till 9 again then had to head home. Over all thought i was kind of slow this weekend. be back Thursday for another shoot at it

Attachments

• HMDG8277[1].JPG
    HMDG8277[1].JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 202
  • CAMT8056[1].JPG
    CAMT8056[1].JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0959[1].JPG
    IMG_0959[1].JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 152
  • RTST8545[1].JPG
    RTST8545[1].JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 200
Fished Saturday and Sunday from China Creek. Saturday 6 nice ones all before 7 and then nothing so packed it in at 9am. Then went for a nice kayak trip for 3 hrs to cool down from heat. Sunday only 3 and fished till 9 again then had to head home. Over all thought i was kind of slow this weekend. be back Thursday for another shoot at it
Did you try fishing deeper after it slowed down?

Did you try fishing deeper after it slowed down?
Yes, we were fishing 50-70ft went down to 90ft but nothing. Wasn't a big deal we had enough fish, whole weekend was more about hanging out and relaxing from a lot of ****** things that have been dealing with in the last year. Probably back this weekend to hit it again.

Hi Everyone,
I'm heading out to Port this weekend and I was just wondering if any of you can give me an update on what has been working for bait and how many feet have you been having luck at? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Back