2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

The message is out that Nootka and Esperanza are pretty dead. By the 19th, Nootka was empty of boats on the run out and the near outside had very few boats fishing. Most rec guys had given up and gone home.
I can not comment on the fishing in Nootka, but can say that calling the fishing is dead in Esperanza is completely untrue! The last 3 groups of guided fisherman (last 10 days) all had limits or close to it of Chinook most had limits of wild coho (each person can keep two in area 25) , but sometimes could not find enough hatchery Coho. Off-shore for bottom fish has been challenging with the wind, although we had a 55lb and 7 chickens come in Yesterday with a bit of a window in the AM. Its not just guides experiencing good fishing, we had a Bring your own boat group of 2 guys with an 18 foot Campion, had never fished the ocean (lots of lake experience) get their limit of Chinook in 2 days, they didn't go further than pin rocks. Rosa has slowed although I got a 22lb and lost another teenager at the boat the night before last fishing for 2 hours pulling cut plugs at 1.5 mph around with no flasher at 25 feet and 29 feet on the downriggers.
Sorry to the lodge guys for being honest. I know with the border closures this is two years with few to no American fishermen.
While I run a lodge, its not multi-million-dollar, and anyone who has followed my posting knows I say when its slow, and it's not slow right now! Sandstone continues to produce nice bright fish, Low rock, Pin rocks as well. There are pockets of Coho out there. often at reefs not known for Chinook fishing. Anchovies have been the favorite bait for Chinook. Small spoons like Coho killers for Coho.

Last edited:
I can not comment on the fishing in Nootka, but can say that calling the fishing is dead in Esperanza is completely untrue! The last 3 groups of guided fisherman (last 10 days) all had limits or close to it of Chinook most had limits of wild coho (each person can keep two in area 25) , but sometimes could not find enough hatchery Coho. Off-shore for bottom fish has been challenging with the wind, although we had a 55lb and 7 chickens come in Yesterday with a bit of a window in the AM. Its not just guides experiencing good fishing, we had a Bring your own boat group of 2 guys with an 18 foot Campion, had never fished the ocean (lots of lake experience) get their limit of Chinook in 2 days, they didn't go further than pin rocks. Rosa has slowed although I got a 22lb and lost another teenager at the boat the night before last fishing for 2 hours pulling cut plugs at 1.5 mph around with no flasher at 25 feet and 29 feet on the downriggers.

While I run a lodge, its not multi-million-dollar, and anyone who has followed my posting knows I say when its slow, and it's not slow right now! Sandstone continues to produce nice bright fish, Low rock, Pin rocks as well. There are pockets of Coho out there. often at reefs not known for Chinook fishing. Anchovies have been the favorite bait for Chinook. Small spoons like Coho killers for Coho.
I will echo that Robert gives very honest reports and that are great to have posted here.

As someone who has fished Esperanza for the last 12 years you can't base your findings on one day of fishing. Fish do move around and can be selective even when good numbers are around. You need to match the feed.

I will echo that Robert gives very honest reports and that are great to have posted here.

As someone who has fished Esperanza for the last 12 years you can't base your findings on one day of fishing. Fish do move around and can be selective even when good numbers are around. You need to match the feed.
Fishing is definitely solid on the inside in Esperanza. Limits on springs and wild coho yesterday and today.

Was fishing Nootka mid 1990s and have not fished Nootka last 20 years and recently purchased a boat again . Been reading this thread and noticed commercial boats fishing the inside Camel Rock etc . How long has this been going on as I never seen back then ? Any old timers can tell me how fishing now compared to back then . Back then was always on fire . Regardless looking forward to going back next year ;)

Was fishing Nootka mid 1990s and have not fished Nootka last 20 years and recently purchased a boat again . Been reading this thread and noticed commercial boats fishing the inside Camel Rock etc . How long has this been going on as I never seen back then ? Any old timers can tell me how fishing now compared to back then . Back then was always on fire . Regardless looking forward to going back next year ;)
I fished Camel area rock with my dad during the 90s and can recall being the only boat around. Now it can be horrible, so many boats. And this year did not even have a huge influx of US boats. We stopped fishing the area and moved to north. Still a nice area with decent fishing and calm inside waters.

I fished Camel area rock with my dad during the 90s and can recall being the only boat around. Now it can be horrible, so many boats. And this year did not even have a huge influx of US boats. We stopped fishing the area and moved to north. Still a nice area with decent fishing and calm inside wate

Thanks for your response as i figured would be busy . I remember one year mid 90s DFO shut down inlet and was all catch and release and total ghost town best fishing ever . We landed 65 springs between 20 to 30 lb in a 3 day period with a buddy that never landing a salmon before . Cannot count the number he lost . Went back a week later with an experienced fishing buddy and landing 50 in a two day period on fly rods with strip no flasher off the down rigger . Those were the days .

Last edited:
I fished Camel area rock with my dad during the 90s and can recall being the only boat around. Now it can be horrible, so many boats. And this year did not even have a huge influx of US boats. We stopped fishing the area and moved to north. Still a nice area with decent fishing and calm inside waters.
Ha! same story. i remember seeing Camel Rock for the first time as a 13 year old kid in early 90’s
i thought it was the holy grail or something. i remember thinking how can the fishing be this good and there only be one other boat here?
yeah…not the case anymore. fishing can still be great there but i don’t do the bumper boat thing.

Back from 3 days of fishing at Nootka and 1 day guided at Esperanza. The Guided day was to be Ling and Halibut. As we came around the double black markers it was clear that there was a problem as many boats headed for Sandstone Pt and the kelp beds were coming back in. Our Guide Ben was super pumped as he had a great day at Sandstone 2 days earlier. We headed into the odd swell that topped 8 - 10 foot, but most of the swells were 6 footers. We were in a 24 ft Boston Whaler. Great boat for staying on top of the water. Not a great boat for breaching swells, and it made a very bumpy ride. Even the Grady Guide Boats were heading back, but we made a few passes with no hits. We did see a couple of hook ups, but nothing major.

Inside everyone was hitting double black, pin rocks, etc. Nothing to show for it and no one else did much either. Eventually at Pin I hit a 4 pd Coho. I have no multi million dollar operation that depends on enticing fishermen, so this is the honest truth.

We decided to run to Rosa and trolled off the kelp beds with the rest of the fleet. Guide was stuck on 35 ft. I fished the other side to 55 - 65 ft. Fish were deeper and that was that. A 10 and 14 spring for the afternoon with a number of shakers. Did not see any guide boats with fish at Rosa, and no Lodge Boats with fish at Rosa.

At Nootka, I had a Moutcha Bay Rental boat as my boat was not back from the shop before departing. Quaycraft with a 90 Yami and it was very capable. First day (Aug 15) we hit all the regular spots on the inside hard. No hits, tons of jellyfish. Few fish marked. Only saw one fish taken at Camel. Second day we hit friendly, and the whole fleet was out there. Very Very few fish in the sound. Surface temp in the sound was a solid 67 - 71 F. Some of the warmest water inside that I have seen. We did get shakers, and some people had a pattern going with a purple haze flasher and purple haze anchovy head holder. They were not tubbed out, and slugged out the day with the odd fish.

We did put something together with a glow Cop Car flasher and a glow Cop Car Coyote spoon and 65 - 80 ft and the fish were in the 17 - 20 pd range, just not many.

As everyone trolling was not producing we switched to buzz bombs. Lots of shakers outside, nothing inside. Not even in Moutcha Bay where the fish should have been staging. It said alot that the gill netters still did not hit their 5200 in the time we were there with multiple openings.

I suspect that the low to no flow of most of the creeks and rivers is having an impact. I can **** harder than most of those streams were flowing. For the few days guys were able to run offshore to Bajo, they did not deliver fish either. I hope that the fish are 80 miles off shore in cooler water, if that exists.

The message is out that Nootka and Esperanza are pretty dead. By the 19th, Nootka was empty of boats on the run out and the near outside had very few boats fishing. Most rec guys had given up and gone home.

Sorry to the lodge guys for being honest. I know with the border closures this is two years with few to no American fishermen.

Drewski
You hit a pretty windy day out Esperanza, but we could have filled the boat with coho that day. Pin was absolutely filthy with them, I’ve no idea how you could only get one 4#er. We did hit a couple springs but lost em before getting blown out. Low rock had salmon as well but pretty snotty there. Boats that stuck it out at sandstone hammered em that day, with a couple tyees as well.
This has been the best salmon fishing on the surfline off Esperanza for easy a decade. Sorry for being honest but that’s a fact. 35’ is a good number for rosa fyi, unless you want little feeder springs ish deeper, I’m at 18/20 first tack in the am…

Last edited:
8BAE1801-66DB-4F12-9DAB-1993A2FE523C.jpeg
Hooked 20 springs with 5 doubleheader’s sat/21st, I know they’re not big fish but that’s not slow fishing. Flood tide has been the best, the following morning got blown out not long after the bite came on for the flood still managed 6 for 12…

Attachments

• 9EE20E97-6800-4C84-ABC8-864CCD802F29.jpeg
    9EE20E97-6800-4C84-ABC8-864CCD802F29.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 83
With light winds forecast i decided to go on a solo fish to Sandstone. I cut some large and medium herring into cut plugs, tied up some leaders and headed out. I've had enough of flashers for this year so I'm going cut plug herring off the downrigger without flashers. Didnt get a really early start left the dock about 7, had lines in the water by 730, first fish a #20 by about 8. Had another one on, then a bit of a lull till 9am when I got a #22 and headed back. No flasher fights are the best! The #22 jumped out of the water 6 times like a coho! 20210824_102603.jpg

With light winds forecast i decided to go on a solo fish to Sandstone. I cut some large and medium herring into cut plugs, tied up some leaders and headed out. I've had enough of flashers for this year so I'm going cut plug herring off the downrigger without flashers. Didnt get a really early start left the dock about 7, had lines in the water by 730, first fish a #20 by about 8. Had another one on, then a bit of a lull till 9am when I got a #22 and headed back. No flasher fights are the best! The #22 jumped out of the water 6 times like a coho! View attachment 69659
Couple decent ones! We only landed 4 decent ones biggest 23#, kind of sporadic but decent fishin. We’re you in the pro-line with a fish around the prop once?

Couple decent ones! We only landed 4 decent ones biggest 23#, kind of sporadic but decent fishin. We’re you in the pro-line with a fish around the prop once?
Yes that was me, I was using the lodge work boat! The fish caught my other line and got that one caught on the engine. I cut that line then it was free. Good thing I wasn't using flashers, I only lost a couple of hooks and swivels! That was the 22#.

Just got back from Nootka Cabins. Excellent weekend. 15 salmon retained in our small group and one 55lb halibut. Biggest spring was 25lbs and lots of big coho. Crazy action every day. Fished the light house and Burdwood. Great time.

I've continued trying to catch chinooks on cut plugs. Tonight it was Rosa, but I lasted about 20 minutes, got tired of pulling jellyfish off the gear. Went out to Pin rocks instead. Calm evening out there! 20210825_184548.jpgSent the two cut plugs down to 28 and 35 feet, 10 minutes later one of the rods pops off. That one got off, but just as it does the other rod
goes. Nice 20lb fish in the box! 20210825_184540.jpg

I thought this is it, its going to be on tonight! Not another hit for the remaining hour I was there. Headed back in, cleaned and got the fish ready to freeze.20210825_200927.jpgAnother nice evening in Esperanza Inlet!

Last edited:
Just got back from three days in Nootka. First time. Fishing was very poor. More chinooks came in from kayaks off the mouth of the Conuma than boats in the sound and offshore. I saw three fish landed the whole trip. The exception we're guys that made the trek to Esperanza. They got fish.

Back