2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

back for 6/7 day with my boy…
I see the commercial guys are still here and waiting. Anyone know their next opening???
Hopefully some fish still want to bite.

back for 6/7 day with my boy…
I see the commercial guys are still here and waiting. Anyone know their next opening???
Hopefully some fish still want to bite.
Dunno about the south end but Esperanza inlet is pretty dry. It’s worth the run to the surfline though, lots of salmon and tyees being caught everyday

Boys from reelobsession have been posting up some nice catches on Instagram the last couple days. Not sure where they are getting them but they are out there some place.

Opens 19th (today) at 9:00pm.
We found some fish at Nootka red can and Beano. No keepers for us at Burdwood on Monday or Saltery or Rosa for us on Tuesday
A boat said Sandstone was awesome but rough on Tuesday.

We found some fish at Nootka red can and Beano. No keepers for us at Burdwood on Monday or Saltery or Rosa for us on Tuesday
Tuesday was not rough there, but stuffed with springs. Nothing huge for us, just shy of 28#. That’s the best out of 15 landed. Crew I had yesterday got sick couldn’t fish there, today wasn’t any better for wind I hear. There will be another push of fish in Esperanza inlet, but I suspect the grade won’t be as good as the surfline. Coho are thick from Pin to low rock…

Attachments

• A6F6E2C7-506C-401E-8D42-CE7F04E2A49A.jpeg
    A6F6E2C7-506C-401E-8D42-CE7F04E2A49A.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 132
Hopefully they leave something for us…
Appreciate the quick info guys!!!

There they go!
Some of them waited since it closed last week for a good spot only to get corked by latecomers on the opening gun.
Say hi to my friends in the red 2525. He kicked us out of the yurt to bring in the family. Can hardly blame him.

Finally was able to get my Mom and Dad out on the water this morning for there first trip and I had to bang on the door and wake them up as they where 1/2 hour late so it was daylight when we headed for Burdwood. Lines in the water and a tree shaker bite first thing and gone. Some how Dad gets 30 feet of downrigger line wrapped under the spool in the process of re setting his line, just before he mentioned “I got this son you keep driving the boat”

After several shakers, strikes and releases Mom and Dad managed to battle a few very fiesty fresh fish. Did see quite a few boats hooking up and a few coho jumping so that’s a good sign.

85B9C109-12E2-495F-8D15-2B5274704680.jpeg

Finally was able to get my Mom and Dad out on the water this morning for there first trip and I had to bang on the door and wake them up as they where 1/2 hour late so it was daylight when we headed for Burdwood. Lines in the water and a tree shaker bite first thing and gone. Some how Dad gets 30 feet of downrigger line wrapped under the spool in the process of re setting his line, just before he mentioned “I got this son you keep driving the boat”

After several shakers, strikes and releases Mom and Dad managed to battle a few very fiesty fresh fish. Did see quite a few boats hooking up and a few coho jumping so that’s a good sign.

View attachment 69511

Say hi to your folks from Steve and Ryan
My son Ryan would help build the dock fingers oh so many years ago when he didnt want to go out and fish the early mornings with dad, lol, he also was going to "take out the bear with his potato gun" the summer she walked around camp and up ended garbage cans and coolers, your dad and I were chatting at the bench and Ryan shot it off over by the river, Dick looked at me and said Ryan!? Lol, and off he went to have a chat with him lol , ALOT of great stories and time up there !

Fishing continues to be good in Esperanza. Winds have limitless offshore bottom fishing but inshore chinook and coho have been good. The inlet has slowed and has quite a few dark fish but still lots of bright chinook and coho outside the inlet.

Attachments

• 20210817_152926.jpg
    20210817_152926.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 76
Guys, Been reading this thread for a while now as my first trip to Nootka is this Mon-Thur. Towing to Moutcha Bay with the wife, kids and grandmothers. Might be a stupid question but I assume most guys are running bait this time of year in Nootka? Any traction with hoochies and/or spoons?

I just drove in and out last week without a trailer. The uphills are washboardy, it was dusty before the rain, and unlike the highway, the tight corners have no yellow curve sign warnings. If I was pulling a boat, I'd go dead slow (75 minutes vs 40 for no trailer) except for the short parts that are sealed/paved.

Been driving that road for guiding since 05. It’s definitely the worst I’ve ever seen it. Took a big pothole and the back window on my canopy blew out! I’d never tow my boat on that road. Bad enough with just a truck.

Back from 3 days of fishing at Nootka and 1 day guided at Esperanza. The Guided day was to be Ling and Halibut. As we came around the double black markers it was clear that there was a problem as many boats headed for Sandstone Pt and the kelp beds were coming back in. Our Guide Ben was super pumped as he had a great day at Sandstone 2 days earlier. We headed into the odd swell that topped 8 - 10 foot, but most of the swells were 6 footers. We were in a 24 ft Boston Whaler. Great boat for staying on top of the water. Not a great boat for breaching swells, and it made a very bumpy ride. Even the Grady Guide Boats were heading back, but we made a few passes with no hits. We did see a couple of hook ups, but nothing major.

Inside everyone was hitting double black, pin rocks, etc. Nothing to show for it and no one else did much either. Eventually at Pin I hit a 4 pd Coho. I have no multi million dollar operation that depends on enticing fishermen, so this is the honest truth.

We decided to run to Rosa and trolled off the kelp beds with the rest of the fleet. Guide was stuck on 35 ft. I fished the other side to 55 - 65 ft. Fish were deeper and that was that. A 10 and 14 spring for the afternoon with a number of shakers. Did not see any guide boats with fish at Rosa, and no Lodge Boats with fish at Rosa.

At Nootka, I had a Moutcha Bay Rental boat as my boat was not back from the shop before departing. Quaycraft with a 90 Yami and it was very capable. First day (Aug 15) we hit all the regular spots on the inside hard. No hits, tons of jellyfish. Few fish marked. Only saw one fish taken at Camel. Second day we hit friendly, and the whole fleet was out there. Very Very few fish in the sound. Surface temp in the sound was a solid 67 - 71 F. Some of the warmest water inside that I have seen. We did get shakers, and some people had a pattern going with a purple haze flasher and purple haze anchovy head holder. They were not tubbed out, and slugged out the day with the odd fish.

We did put something together with a glow Cop Car flasher and a glow Cop Car Coyote spoon and 65 - 80 ft and the fish were in the 17 - 20 pd range, just not many.

As everyone trolling was not producing we switched to buzz bombs. Lots of shakers outside, nothing inside. Not even in Moutcha Bay where the fish should have been staging. It said alot that the gill netters still did not hit their 5200 in the time we were there with multiple openings.

I suspect that the low to no flow of most of the creeks and rivers is having an impact. I can **** harder than most of those streams were flowing. For the few days guys were able to run offshore to Bajo, they did not deliver fish either. I hope that the fish are 80 miles off shore in cooler water, if that exists.

The message is out that Nootka and Esperanza are pretty dead. By the 19th, Nootka was empty of boats on the run out and the near outside had very few boats fishing. Most rec guys had given up and gone home.

Sorry to the lodge guys for being honest. I know with the border closures this is two years with few to no American fishermen.

Drewski

Back