2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

There Saturday until today, fished Sunday and Monday hard, mostly around the North entrance. Slow for us, only one good coho and that was it. Should have targeted ground fish, but was looking for the big Nootka Springs we have heard about. Not there yet. Did some good family cruising too, whales, bears and sea otters kept the kids interest.

After a bit slower week the fishing has heated up again in Esperanza. Most of the chinook action has been north past Tatchu point, with big squid concentrations attracting chinooks. The biggest yesterday was 30lbs. Pin rocks black and low rock have had fish too. Ferrer closes at midnight tonight's but has not been as productive as most of the other places we fish in the area this year.20210713_151939.jpg

After a bit slower week the fishing has heated up again in Esperanza. Most of the chinook action has been north past Tatchu point, with big squid concentrations attracting chinooks. The biggest yesterday was 30lbs. Pin rocks black and low rock have had fish too. Ferrer closes at midnight tonight's but has not been as productive as most of the other places we fish in the area this year.View attachment 68129
Some nice hogs there.

When it rains it pours. this picture is the same guys as yesterday, another tyee (32) chinook limits, and a 54 halibut. It's on in Esperanza, great fishing and a fraction of the boats in Nootka! We have some space at Port Eliza for guided or bring your own boat available.20210714_152556.jpg

Last edited:
Well, what a difference a week makes. Lots of fish now inside. We have 4 of our 8 fish now in 2 days. Most around 18-20 and one 27. Fished the Lighthouse and Wash yesterday but no luck at all. Tried Beano as well and no luck. All our fish have come from the inside. All on Anchovy at 40 feet. I'm hearing fish are being taken in all the usual places inside although we've pretty much stuck to Tahsis Inlet area. Tried Hali yesterday and today, but, no luck yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be good offshore so we'll put in some time 10 miles out. Ya, good times......

Well, what a difference a week makes. Lots of fish now inside. We have 4 of our 8 fish now in 2 days. Most around 18-20 and one 27. Fished the Lighthouse and Wash yesterday but no luck at all. Tried Beano as well and no luck. All our fish have come from the inside. All on Anchovy at 40 feet. I'm hearing fish are being taken in all the usual places inside although we've pretty much stuck to Tahsis Inlet area. Tried Hali yesterday and today, but, no luck yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be good offshore so we'll put in some time 10 miles out. Ya, good times......
After reading the recent reports and seeing this sign near the post offfice in Gold today, it must be back on..

714316BA-3628-4D32-AC75-DA5EED1A7266.jpeg

When it rains it pours. this picture is the same guys as yesterday, another tyee (32) chinook limits, and a 54 halibut. It's on in Esperanza, great fishing and a fraction of the boats in Nootka! We have some space at Port Eliza for guided or bring your own boat available.View attachment 68144
We had a great trip to Port Eliza Lodge. Robert and his team were fantastic! The food was terrific and fishing lights out! Lots of good size chinook around!

Attachments

• 20210714_081445_resized_1.jpg
    20210714_081445_resized_1.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210713_070929_resized_1.jpg
    20210713_070929_resized_1.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 20210713_123301_resized.jpg
    20210713_123301_resized.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 20210713_141101_resized_1.jpg
    20210713_141101_resized_1.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 20210714_064622_resized_1.jpg
    20210714_064622_resized_1.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 212
I am heading up to Cougar Creek on Wednesday the 21st for one week. This will be my first time fishing Nootka Sound and I am curious as to what size anchovies I should buy should I get the largest ones for 6 inch? I am having trouble finding them everyone seems to have 5 1/2 inch?
Also should I get salt ice. I have never used it is it way better than regular ice. If so I will Google where to get salt ice in Campbell River. Does the salt ice affect the taste of the fish? Should the fish be put directly in the salt ice or in a bag first?
I would like to try fishing for lingcod and Halibut as I have never done it. Do you have to go far out into the open ocean. My boat is only a Harbercraft Discovery 1925 with a 115 and a 9.9. Is anybody else from this form going to be at Cougar Creek next week?

Last edited:
Also should I get salt ice. I have never used it is it way better than regular ice. If so I will Google where to get salt ice in Campbell River. Does the salt ice affect the taste of the fish? Should the fish be put directly in the salt ice or in a bag first?
I would like to try fishing for lingcod and Halibut as I have never done it. Do you have to go far out into the open ocean. My boat is only a Harbercraft Discovery 1925 with a 115 and a 9.9. Is anybody else from this form going to be at Cougar Creek next week?
Salt ice last longer. Campbell river seafoods sells it. Boatland during the work week hours sells bulk regular cubed ice, cash only. Ice melting time depends a lot on the type of cooler and if you keep it shaded or insulated. You’re going for a week which is a long time to keep fish prime. So might want to plan your retention accordingly, keeping closer to the end of trip. Moutcha bay used to have a processing place where you could get it frozen and pick up at end of trip. It’s still part of your possession limit even if you drop it off or store it there. Not sure if they still do that since COVId though.

Critter cove across the way from cougar sells bagged ice for reasonable if you run low. For your cooler, don’t store fish right in the salt ice. Buy Chinook sized plastic fish bags from tackle store or redden net and put one fish gutted per bag in the ice, bag tied off. In a bag keeps your fish out of the slush and water which I find softens the meat and ruins quality.

For offshore, it’s all about the winds. Morning usually better than afternoon for winds.

For bait size, I’ve always used 5 1/2 chovies and long 6-7’ leaders. But bring some skinny g’s and some glow white hootchies too as they can be deadly depending on what fish are honed in on. Dick at Cougar Creek used to sell anchovies, not sure if he still does. Critter Cove selling them for about 12-13 bucks a pack this year. Have a great trip.

Last edited:
Salt ice last longer. Campbell river seafoods sells it. Boatland during the work week hours sells bulk regular cubed ice, cash only. Ice melting time depends a lot on the type of cooler and if you keep it shaded or insulated. You’re going for a week which is a long time to keep fish prime. So might want to plan your retention accordingly, keeping closer to the end of trip. Moutcha bay used to have a processing place where you could get it frozen and pick up at end of trip. It’s still part of your possession limit even if you drop it off or store it there. Not sure if they still do that since COVId though.

Critter cove across the way from cougar sells bagged ice for reasonable if you run low. For your cooler, don’t store fish right in the salt ice. Buy Chinook sized plastic fish bags from tackle store or redden net and put one fish gutted per bag in the ice, bag tied off.

For offshore, it’s all about the winds. Morning usually better than afternoon for winds.

For bait size, I’ve always used 5 1/2 chovies and long 6-7’ leaders. But bring some skinny g’s and some glow white hootchies too as they can be deadly depending on what fish are honed in on. Dick at Cougar Creek used to sell anchovies, not sure if he still does. Critter Cove selling them for about 12-13 bucks a pack this year. Have a great trip.

CR seafoods is where I used to get it. BUT when I was thru on June 28, it was gutted…are they open now?!? Years past it’s even been hard to get anyone to answer the phone - hours are whacky. I think French Creek is a better option, or Hub City in Nanaimo…although I haven’t found their recipe is very good.

French creek has salt ice in parksville. 25 a cooler. Definetly bag fish then cover in salt. Do not be too concerned on anchovies size. I would almost say smaller is better the last few years But they all work small medium big. Enjoy your time up there. We are back on the 28th.

I'm strongly in the no bag camp. Melting ice washes away some slime and bacteria out the drain hole. Put a good layer of salt ice in the bottom of the cooler, head on, belly ice on their backs, stack em in, packing ice around, Cover with thermal fleece. Drain often or let it drip. Top ice when needed. 5 days is no problem, 7 I don't know.

Back