2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Made er to Tahsis, head bay fsr is a joke right now. 125min to make it the 65.5km from GR to Tahsis. If you have a nice boat bigger than 20ft I might be thinking about running it from GR…

Made er to Tahsis, head bay fsr is a joke right now. 125min to make it the 65.5km from GR to Tahsis. If you have a nice boat bigger than 20ft I might be thinking about running it from GR…
I drive that road everyday and it’s been brutal for a while now. They have been working on the road last couple days. There was 1 truck and a tow truck in the ditch on the way home tonight.

The road to Zebellos is always much better than Tahsis. They keep it up much better. It was as rough as I've seen coming in today though, there were several sections with potholes and some washboard, but it still took about 40 minutes to drive the 40Km. Once I was to km 25 the grader was working and the final 15 km was smooth. The rest of it will be graded soon.

I’ve been saying that for years now. Only take a nice truck and boat combo in on that road, or the Nesook Rd, if neither the truck nor boat belong to you. If they belong to you, launch the boat in Gold River. One person can drive the boat around to the destination while the others take the truck there. If the road is dry, the truck/ boat combo will be completely covered in granite dust. If it is wet, the gear will be covered with granite mud. Neither scenario is any good. Launch in Gold River , it’s a lot easier and much less grief.. My thoughts anyway…

Question. Anybody know if you can drop fish at Moutcha Bay for St Jeans for processing if you’re not staying there. I leave on one of my trips back home on Sunday when none of their facilities South Island are open. It would be convenient to drop on our last afternoon in the Sound at Moutcha.

Question. Anybody know if you can drop fish at Moutcha Bay for St Jeans for processing if you’re not staying there. I leave on one of my trips back home on Sunday when none of their facilities South Island are open. It would be convenient to drop on our last afternoon in the Sound at Moutcha.
Moutcha will be happy to arrange the processing of your fish even tho’ you’re not staying there. Shouldn’t be an issue at all. All it takes is $$$…

Its on! The mature Chinook have arrived in the Esperanza area. The end of June and early July is an excellent fishery. 3 hour fish this morning produced 4 Springs to 15 lbs on spoons and anchovies, 3 more hooked and lost, and a couple of bonus halibut trolled up a 30 and 22! We have space available with the border closed! Get in in some of rhe best fishing of the year without the crowds! 20210619_094524.jpg20210619_112820.jpg20210619_094717.jpg

Due to all the pandemic this and that I asked MB last week same thing. They are open to all, no issues. Even process your fish there if you prefer.

Now that the threads awake, any prawns in the nootka area?? ill be up mid july and would love to grab a few to stock up the freezer. Things are pretty slow in howe sound for prawns right now.

Now that the threads awake, any prawns in the nootka area?? ill be up mid july and would love to grab a few to stock up the freezer. Things are pretty slow in howe sound for prawns right now.
Not many right now, the Commercial boats just finished up their season. There were more boats in the inlet than normal. I know one of the regulars and he was saying it was his slowest year ever. Normally after the commercial opening it isnt worth the time or effort for at least a few months. Up to you but i would suggest your time would be better spent fishing this time of year. My traps are put away until at least late August

Not many right now, the Commercial boats just finished up their season. There were more boats in the inlet than normal. I know one of the regulars and he was saying it was his slowest year ever. Normally after the commercial opening it isnt worth the time or effort for at least a few months. Up to you but i would suggest your time would be better spent fishing this time of year. My traps are put away until at least late August
Thanks for the intel, ill be up fishing for 7-10 days. Thought maybe i would bring the traps just because i was there. Looks like ill have to try up around texada, powell river, sounds like things are still ok up that way. I had plans to day trip or overnight up there and can take a pair of traps.

Same experience with the commercial guys down here in the howesound...

A nice day with light winds in Esperanza means halibut! James, Jamie and Myles took full advantage of the increased halibut size limit with a 132cm 75lber and limited out on the morning. Late June means good bottom fishing and the salmon have arrived.

Attachments

• 20210620_121754.jpg
    20210620_121754.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 188
A nice day with light winds in Esperanza means halibut! James, Jamie and Myles took full advantage of the increased halibut size limit with a 132cm 75lber and limited out on the morning. Late June means good bottom fishing and the salmon have arrived.
That’s a nice fish

Very nice fish, unfortunately I know for a fact those guys can’t drink:)

Back yesterday from 3 nights, 2 days in Nootka. Windy first full day, so not a lot caught. Heard of a couple caught on the inside. Beer can bay for example. Second day winds died down and early morning tide maquinna to Beano was good. Trolling white and glow hootchies on bottom, bouncing cannon balls on bottom was the trick. Bounce, bounce, fish. 20+ squid in each belly, don’t know how they expected to fit more. Note those fishing spoons and bait caught a ton of shakers, like 30+ a day. Hootchies on bottom very few shakers. Got some bottom fish to round out the day. Headed home the next.
Ramp: no issues, no real waits at launching or retrieving. Up to the boaters to manage the in/out system. 65 bucks to launch and park for 3 nights.
Enforcement- fisheries were checking boats, Nootka inside mostly and over towards Esperanza. Their new plane was patrolling the RCA and 1 mile area it looked like. RCMP were stopping boats returning to gold river yesterday. Doing full checks on each boat.

Back