Brechin launch was fun at noon yesterday :)

Ran to Entrance, got a few undersized on spoons, and big thanks for the white hootchie idea from the guy in the black aluminum....changed up and fished shallow near the lighthouse, picked up a 14 lb/76cm) on the first tack.
On the boat launch the city has told me they have been starting to ticket people parking in trailer spots who clearly aren't moving boats, so hopefully that helps.
On fishing... well, I got to fish for salmon for about a minute yesterday. Dropped a small plug to 175 and didn't have time to get my clip into the other downrigger before I had a 75cm on. Spent the rest of the time trying unsuccessfully to catch a ling and watching a Humpback on the south side of Orlebar Pt.

Fishing has definitely slowed out there after those massive low tides last week. Much less bait around even at entrance. Still a decent amount of under sized out there and now a bunch of coho shakers, so check those lines often. Still some good ones to be had but nothing like a few weeks ago. Also when I was at the nicely renovated cleaning station today I noticed something. 2 nice new ptz surveillance cameras right above the cleaning station. And they are pointed directly down at the cleaning table. I highly doubt the city would have paid money to put cameras there, so the only other thing I could think of is it’s being monitored by fisheries. Anyone else notice them?

Fishing has definitely slowed out there after those massive low tides last week. Much less bait around even at entrance. Still a decent amount of under sized out there and now a bunch of coho shakers, so check those lines often. Still some good ones to be had but nothing like a few weeks ago. Also when I was at the nicely renovated cleaning station today I noticed something. 2 nice new ptz surveillance cameras right above the cleaning station. And they are pointed directly down at the cleaning table. I highly doubt the city would have paid money to put cameras there, so the only other thing I could think of is it’s being monitored by fisheries. Anyone else notice them?
I was out a couple of days ago and the only keepers I got were on a med sized plug. My usually reliable spoons weren't producing, so maybe try bigger gear? I do know last year by August it became a bit of a bait show for me.

Lol not surprising. They will probably expect you to have them on your boats soon like the commercial guys lol

Long post warning. Well how to sum up an afternoon like today. Came out about 1 o’clock as the winds had started to come down from the morning. Had a group of 4 out with 2 younger boys early teens and their dads. Fishing off pipers got into fish right away. All unders but good action. The days a bit of a blur now so not sure how long we were
Fishing before we heard the mayday call come in over the radio. A plane had spotted a capsized vessel 7 miles north of entrance island with one person in the water. We radio’d coast guard back and asked if they had anyone responding as we were about 8 miles from the lkp. Only vessel that was responding was the hovercraft from Vancouver and was 15-20 minutes out. I told my clients we are going right now and We pulled the lines as quick as possible, fired up the main and put the hammer down. Was running at wot in a decent 2-3’ chop on the qtr. Was first on scene and proceeded from the last known coordinates and started a grid search. Hovercraft joined shortly after and started its search. Soon after the sea tow boat was out along with the sar boat out of Nanaimo. Shortly after a cormorant chopper along with a fixed wing Buffalo aircraft from cfb comox. Conditions were not good for searching with white caps and solid 2+ seas. There was no sign of the person, vessel or any debris. We stayed out for hours until we were low on fuel and had to start heading back. Shortly after with no sightings the search was called off by the coast guard. The cormorant chopper came by for a low pass hover thanking us for the assistance. Shortly after the hovercraft came by to do the same. Thanks to the Grady that was also out there doing what they could. We did everything we could. Was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I had all my clients scanning the water the whole time and on the binoculars. If the single person had’ve been wearing a life jacket or pfd they would have been easily spotted and rescued. You truly feel helpless in these situations but you know you’ve done your duty and done everything you can. I hope the family of that person knows we did everything we can. I truly hope I never have another day like this on the water. If your going to be out in a boat by yourself especially in conditions you shouldn’t be in for the love of god put on a pfd. Things happen so fast on the water most times within seconds and you have no time to grab anything or react. We headed back to Nanaimo running on fumes and got back about 5:30. Fueled up and decided to get my clients back out and hopefully into some more fish. It was good action and we ended up getting a beautiful 26lb 38” slab. Weighed in the net quick, quick picture and released with no damage. Was a good way to end a trying day. Please be safe out there guys, no fish or trip on the water is worth risking your life for. B609FBC7-6F16-4461-94F3-D2F5B4728661.jpeg4DE3F62B-9B5C-4158-9B5A-D9B16F821266.jpeg62358C94-1FD3-4832-9D6E-86283FCDF93D.jpeg

Long post warning. Well how to sum up an afternoon like today. Came out about 1 o’clock as the winds had started to come down from the morning. Had a group of 4 out with 2 younger boys early teens and their dads. Fishing off pipers got into fish right away. All unders but good action. The days a bit of a blur now so not sure how long we were
Fishing before we heard the mayday call come in over the radio. A plane had spotted a capsized vessel 7 miles north of entrance island with one person in the water. We radio’d coast guard back and asked if they had anyone responding as we were about 8 miles from the lkp. Only vessel that was responding was the hovercraft from Vancouver and was 15-20 minutes out. I told my clients we are going right now and We pulled the lines as quick as possible, fired up the main and put the hammer down. Was running at wot in a decent 2-3’ chop on the qtr. Was first on scene and proceeded from the last known coordinates and started a grid search. Hovercraft joined shortly after and started its search. Soon after the sea tow boat was out along with the sar boat out of Nanaimo. Shortly after a cormorant chopper along with a fixed wing Buffalo aircraft from cfb comox. Conditions were not good for searching with white caps and solid 2+ seas. There was no sign of the person, vessel or any debris. We stayed out for hours until we were low on fuel and had to start heading back. Shortly after with no sightings the search was called off by the coast guard. The cormorant chopper came by for a low pass hover thanking us for the assistance. Shortly after the hovercraft came by to do the same. Thanks to the Grady that was also out there doing what they could. We did everything we could. Was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I had all my clients scanning the water the whole time and on the binoculars. If the single person had’ve been wearing a life jacket or pfd they would have been easily spotted and rescued. You truly feel helpless in these situations but you know you’ve done your duty and done everything you can. I hope the family of that person knows we did everything we can. I truly hope I never have another day like this on the water. If your going to be out in a boat by yourself especially in conditions you shouldn’t be in for the love of god put on a pfd. Things happen so fast on the water most times within seconds and you have no time to grab anything or react. We headed back to Nanaimo running on fumes and got back about 5:30. Fueled up and decided to get my clients back out and hopefully into some more fish. It was good action and we ended up getting a beautiful 26lb 38” slab. Weighed in the net quick, quick picture and released with no damage. Was a good way to end a trying day. Please be safe out there guys, no fish or trip on the water is worth risking your life for. View attachment 68748View attachment 68749View attachment 68750
Wow, great job springing into action and doing what you could, what a sad outcome.

Wow, great job springing into action and doing what you could, what a sad outcome.
Thanks for sharing, these situations make us all think. Good to know there’s people out there like yourself ready to help. Hope your good

Fishing before we heard the mayday call come in over the radio. A plane had spotted a capsized vessel 7 miles north of entrance island with one person in the water. We radio’d coast guard back and asked if they had anyone responding as we were about 8 miles from the lkp. Only vessel that was responding was the hovercraft from Vancouver and was 15-20 minutes out. I told my clients we are going right now and We pulled the lines as quick as possible, fired up the main and put the hammer down. Was running at wot in a decent 2-3’ chop on the qtr. Was first on scene and proceeded from the last known coordinates and started a grid search. Hovercraft joined shortly after and started its search. Soon after the sea tow boat was out along with the sar boat out of Nanaimo. Shortly after a cormorant chopper along with a fixed wing Buffalo aircraft from cfb comox. Conditions were not good for searching with white caps and solid 2+ seas. There was no sign of the person, vessel or any debris. We stayed out for hours until we were low on fuel and had to start heading back. Shortly after with no sightings the search was called off by the coast guard. The cormorant chopper came by for a low pass hover thanking us for the assistance. Shortly after the hovercraft came by to do the same. Thanks to the Grady that was also out there doing what they could. We did everything we could. Was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I had all my clients scanning the water the whole time and on the binoculars. If the single person had’ve been wearing a life jacket or pfd they would have been easily spotted and rescued. You truly feel helpless in these situations but you know you’ve done your duty and done everything you can. I hope the family of that person knows we did everything we can. I truly hope I never have another day like this on the water. If your going to be out in a boat by yourself especially in conditions you shouldn’t be in for the love of god put on a pfd. Things happen so fast on the water most times within seconds and you have no time to grab anything or react. We headed back to Nanaimo running on fumes and got back about 5:30. Fueled up and decided to get my clients back out and hopefully into some more fish. It was good action and we ended up getting a beautiful 26lb 38” slab. Weighed in the net quick, quick picture and released with no damage. Was a good way to end a trying day. Please be safe out there guys, no fish or trip on the water is worth risking your life for. View attachment 68748View attachment 68749View attachment 68750
Kudos to you and your guests for responding promptly!

Those cameras pickup a signal from the 12mm tag inserted into the belly as smolts.And take a picture of the fish on the table.

Those cameras pickup a signal from the 12mm tag inserted into the belly as smolts.And take a picture of the fish on the table.

Wow great idea. Hopefully the Heron and other predator's didn't get the majority of the tagged smolt's the hatcheries release during the Heron's nesting periods near the release sites. The birds are quick learners and know when they are released and where to target them. Would be very interested in knowing the results of the program this year.

Fished the grande today, got out pretty late at around noon. It started off pretty slow but I got into a couple of nice chinook at around 2:00 pm. One at 170 on the rigger in around 220ft of water, another at 140 on the rigger in 200ft of water.

Thanks, but just doing what we all hope someone would do for us if we were ever in a similar situation. With how long it takes to mobilize sar and coast guard, a lot of the times it’s our fellow boaters that can get to scenes first and render assistance. Just wish it was a different outcome this time.

Thanks, but just doing what we all hope someone would do for us if we were ever in a similar situation. With how long it takes to mobilize sar and coast guard, a lot of the times it’s our fellow boaters that can get to scenes first and render assistance. Just wish it was a different outcome this time.
Ya kinda wish there was a bit more chatter on the radios like it used to be just to be a bit more connected out on the water. Now everyone mostly texts and has the radio down low if even on at all.

I was not able to find anything about a missing/drowned boater in the Nanaimo area. Perhaps he was located? Good response to go and help. Cheers

I was not able to find anything about a missing/drowned boater in the Nanaimo area. Perhaps he was located? Good response to go and help. Cheers
Most of the time these dont make the news unless someone contacts the news outlets. Where the boat sank was actually closer to gibsons than Nanaimo, not far from halibut bank.

Fair bit less bait around last few days. Lots of unders, some slot size still producing but less than the few weeks prior. No sense putting bait on while the unders destroy it quickly. Spoons, hootchies, flashflys, and plugs have been producing. Most of the unders and pinks have been shallow while most of the keepers have been hit between 150 and 180 close to bottom contours.

FB_IMG_1628090850996.jpg

FB_IMG_1628090844212.jpg

FB_IMG_1628090835359.jpg

Fair bit less bait around last few days. Lots of unders, some slot size still producing but less than the few weeks prior. No sense putting bait on while the unders destroy it quickly. Spoons, hootchies, flashflys, and plugs have been producing. Most of the unders and pinks have been shallow while most of the keepers have been hit between 150 and 180 close to bottom contours.

View attachment 68928

View attachment 68929

View attachment 68930
I'd agree with all of this, and I'm fishing down to 200. I think some of the bait that is around is bigger; my lines were jumping all over the place the other day going through them. I'm learning to use med sized plugs and they are definitely working and keeping most of the unders off, so I'd add don't be afraid to throw on some bigger gear. Even got a hatch coho at 175 the other day on one. Nice pic off entrance btw; I'm sure I've seen you out there judging by where you are fishing.

I'd agree with all of this, and I'm fishing down to 200. I think some of the bait that is around is bigger; my lines were jumping all over the place the other day going through them. I'm learning to use med sized plugs and they are definitely working and keeping most of the unders off, so I'd add don't be afraid to throw on some bigger gear. Even got a hatch coho at 175 the other day on one. Nice pic off entrance btw; I'm sure I've seen you out there judging by where you are fishing.
Ya we've been using some real big gear and hooks to try to discourage the smaller ones from biting. Still always surprising when a 15" grills will hit 9" of spoon and hook or large plugs. But it does help reduce the numbers for sure.

About to head out in Nanaimo. Where’s my best bet to drop a line? Been a few weeks since I’ve been out.
Entrance has been ok, I’ve been having pretty good luck off the grande as well so if I were you I’d start at entrance and troll your way to the grande and back, been working for me lately.

Back