2021 Archery Whitetail.

walleyes

Crew Member
Not to much fishing talk going on so I’ll share.

This is a first archery deer kill for me so it’s pretty cool. Not the biggest deer by any means but it’s been a long wait. Off and on I would say close to 25 years I’ve been after a whitetail with a bow. Like I say not steady but off and on.

This year I made the decision to only hunt my own land for deer and only with a bow. I’ve had a few decent bucks on my trail cams and told myself anyone of the decent ones comes by and gives me an opportunity I’ll take it. In all I think I’ve put in 8 nights in the stand. A few last hitch off and now this past week this was night 4. This one came in with just enough light left and quite a few minutes before legal hunting ended but where my stand is its in pretty heavy cover so for a bow it gets pretty dark in there. Made a great shot at about 18 yards, he was a slight quartering away and at first I thought the arrow went in a little far back but because of the angle it was a deadly shot, got both lungs. When I hit him it looked like a solid hit and it looked like he just about went down in the first 30 yards but he disappeared into the bush. I came down from the stand and went up to the house and got the flashlight and slowly made my way back down to my stand sight. I gave him about a half hour altogether then went on the track. I had decent blood but nothing crazy and after about 150 yards I started to get worried maybe the shot wasn’t as good as I thought. I had some blood but nothing crazy. At times it was hard to find but thank goodness for the snow. After about 200 yards I considered backing off but it was starting to snow and I thought if I back off till morning I could very well loses the track altogether. So I kept on slowly, after about another 50 yards the trail started to get pretty crooked and he headed into the thick stuff I knew then he was in trouble. Sure enough not another 50 yards there he was piled up. In all he went about 350 yards and when skinning he had no lungs left both lungs completely mush. I’m amazed he went as far as he did like that. He is still in good shape with lots of fat on him, thanks to my neighbour with the oat field this year lol he should be a good eater.

51681553555_c6c9de48d0_z.jpg

51681341689_9e1f9e3567_z.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:

This is a first archery deer kill deer for me so it’s pretty cool. Not the biggest deer by any means but it’s been a long wait. Off and on I would say close to 25 years I’ve been after a whitetail with a bow. Like I say not steady but off and on.

This year I made the decision to only hunt my own land for deer and only with a bow. I’ve had a few decent bucks on my trail cams and told myself anyone of the decent ones comes by and gives me an opportunity I’ll take it. In all I think I’ve put in 8 nights in the stand. A few last hitch off and now this past week this was night 4. This one came in with just enough light left and quite a few minutes before legal hunting ended but where my stand is its in pretty heavy cover so for a bow it gets pretty dark in there. Made a great shot at about 18 yards, he was a slight quartering away and at first I thought the arrow went in a little far back but because of the angle it was a deadly shot, got both lungs. When I hit him it looked like a solid hit and it looked like he just about went down in the first 30 yards but he disappeared into the bush. I came down from the stand and went up to the house and got the flashlight and slowly made my way back down to my stand sight. I gave him about a half hour altogether then went on the track. I had decent blood but nothing crazy and after about 150 yards I started to get worried maybe the shot wasn’t as good as I thought. I had some blood but nothing crazy. At times it was hard to find but thank goodness for the snow. After about 200 yards I considered backing off but it was starting to snow and I thought if I back off till morning I could very well loses the track altogether. So I kept on slowly, after about another 50 yards the trail started to get pretty crooked and he headed into the thick stuff I knew then he was in trouble. Sure enough not another 50 yards there he was piled up. In all he went about 350 yards and when skinning he had no lungs left both lungs completely mush. I’m amazed he went as far as he did like that. He is still in good shape with lots of fat on him, thanks to my neighbour with the oat field this year lol he should be a good eater.

[/url]

Congrats. Nice buck. Good job. Thats a long way for a double lunger to go.

NICE buck Terry ill be there in 1 week not that im counting!!!!! but ill be south for mule deer and white tail .... can hardly wait love whitetail meat best ever!!!!

Nice one!
Odd he went that far with both lungs hit.
Good job on tracking him down!
Congrats!

Cheers,
Nog

Nice one!
Odd he went that far with both lungs hit.
Good job on tracking him down!
Congrats!

Cheers,
Nog
Never ceases to amaze me how tough these animals are. The arrow hit a rib on the far side and never came through it was just under the hide on the far side. But when we opened him his lungs were liquid, you couldn’t find a piece of lung to even call it a piece. Couldn’t believe he could go that far with that much damage.

Well Terry there is/was no way of me driving out to Alberta so I said F@#$ it so I booked a flight as im not missing a hunting... meeting up with friends and they are going to be my "guide" for a change LOL. One thing I have to say about my career as a fishing guide ive met some really good people (including you) which im grateful at times like this. Im now going to be able to have my vacation!!! some clients that have turned into friends are stepping up big time for me to make my dream hunt come thru...
Good luck to all the other hunters out there

Wolf

Well Terry there is/was no way of me driving out to Alberta so I said F@#$ it so I booked a flight as im not missing a hunting... meeting up with friends and they are going to be my "guide" for a change LOL. One thing I have to say about my career as a fishing guide ive met some really good people (including you) which im grateful at times like this. Im now going to be able to have my vacation!!! some clients that have turned into friends are stepping up big time for me to make my dream hunt come thru...

Wolf
Good luck man and have a great vacation!

Wolf
Right on, good to hear your able to make it work. Best of luck to you guys out there with plans, I’m sure they will have roads open soon.

Wolf
Your timing is good. Some serious rut activity the last couple days. The big boys should start going any day now. I did see a big 4 point chase a small 5 point off a doe while in the stand this afternoon. Plot twist…the small 5 ended up getting freaky with the doe anyway.

Last edited:

This is a first archery deer kill for me so it’s pretty cool. Not the biggest deer by any means but it’s been a long wait. Off and on I would say close to 25 years I’ve been after a whitetail with a bow. Like I say not steady but off and on.

[/url]
from one bow hunter to another That's a beautiful buck anywhere
Good for you
Whitetails were running pretty good tonight down here in the southwest corner
cold wind sure makes it tough to sit

This was one of the ones on the hit list that i didnt get . Someone else did oh well look for another. Season is on Wednesday coming up as im in a wed to Saturday zone. Check in later

Attachments

• received_802953443839236.jpeg
    received_802953443839236.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 80
This was one of the ones on the hit list that i didnt get . Someone else did oh well look for another. Season is on Wednesday coming up as im in a wed to Saturday zone. Check in later
Geez that’s a nice animal.

Good luck and keep at em.
from one bow hunter to another That's a beautiful buck anywhere
Good for you
Whitetails were running pretty good tonight down here in the southwest corner
cold wind sure makes it tough to sit
Thanks Mike.

Yes they are going hard all over. Just got back from a 3 day Elk hunt up in the Valleyview country and the whitetail are going nuts up there. Oh and no luck with the elk,, needed a couple more days.

Walleyes, Great buck!!! Congrats!!

Found this guy on Thursday! I decided to pack the gun after 5 days of archery and of course he happens to walk out at 30 yards!!!! Couldn't say no!

Sorry for the sh*tty photos, my old iPhone is getting old!

300+ lbs, estimated 6.5 Y0, 7" bases. Was a grunt to get out of the bush!! BC Buck!

Cheers

SS

Last edited:
Awesome buck sitkaspruce, real heft to him. I’m a huge sucker for those dark chocolate coloured horns myself. And I agree, pretty tough to pass on a deer of that quality.

Well done.

Back