2020 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 gregor 25 yam 20" tran . 5 days bow open.going to try to get me a dear in quatsino sound and have a little surf n turf .looks good for sun.

morning of the 14 found this hog in the narrowsView attachment 56024

Awesome!
I never gave thought to trying a Tomic plug at the narrows.
Fished there a couple of hours yesterday. Got a decent sized coho, but it was otherwise very quiet. Marking plenty of bait on the sounder, but not many fish.

Heading up to WH next week.

Do I bother with prawn traps and crab? Just want to get a few for a dinner but have zero experience in this area doing that so let me know if I'm wasting my time or now.

assuming we will have a few bad weather days and will just mess around in the sound.

thanks in advance.

Heading up to WH next week.

Do I bother with prawn traps and crab? Just want to get a few for a dinner but have zero experience in this area doing that so let me know if I'm wasting my time or now.

assuming we will have a few bad weather days and will just mess around in the sound.

thanks in advance.

There are good prawns and crab around the sound but sadly not in winter harbour ( otters) Crab I would be prepared to go down at least 150 or more -if you aren't set up for that don't bother. If you are willing to go up to the narrows or higher let me know and I will pm you a few spots for crab and prawns. mike

Just got back from WH, as others said it was tough slugging. Worst spring fishing I’ve seen since I’ve been up there and am always there the same time of year (within a week). Coho, hali, and ling fishing was exceptional. Released a 5.5 ft Hali which was really cool to see. Wound up with a few overs and lots in the 70-80 cm range. We did wind up with 8 springs but really had to work for them. Deep on the highway but also worked a few up around kains and tight in the kelp beds at goodings.

Just wanted summarize our trip this year to winter harbour and share some photos! This was our first trip Tuna fishing! We had an amazing time, we ended up with 64 tuna over 3.5 days for fishing. A big thanks goes out to MikeP for giving us some tips and helping to get us on the fish! I am hooked on tuna fishing and can't wait to get out there next year!

Nice work, Captain!! Looks like you guys have it nailed :)....BTW the bar works perfectly and I bonked a nice spring in the first 5 minutes of using it. Cheers man...

Heading up to Winter Harbor for a tuna trip, but just wondering if there are any decent areas for Coho if its too rough to get out for tuna at this time of year?

I guess the obvious spots would be Cliff point and the light house which do hold coho during summer months. The guides also tack around Mahatta river, due low water conditions there are probably some staging there. The narrows also can be good but it seems to be a small window 1 hour before the end of the ebb tide is the time to be there. Im pretty sure you can still keep one wild in those areas too. May want to double check the regs.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back