2020 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well another one is in the books. We got back last night. We stayed 4 nights and fished 4.5 days. We were a party of 2 guys and ended up 2 short on springs 1 short on coho. We had to work hard to find our fish and the weather wasn't great which limited our options a little bit. We arrived at Midnight in Coal Harbour and slept in the boat on the trailer until 4am. We launched at about 5 and headed for Kains. 2 hours at Kains didn't produce so we moved on to Grant's and ended up with a 21lb spring and a 10lb spring. That was it for the day. We talked about anchoring up but we were tired and it was early in the trip so we headed in to get set up. Winter Harbour was great and accomodating as always. It really is such a great place. People aren't pretentious, you can wander around with a beer in your hand meeting new people, checking out other peoples boats and setups. Most people are willing to share info freely etc. Friday night was rib night at Be More Pacific but unfortunately you had to let her know a day ahead of time and she only does it once a week. When I seemed dissapointed she asked what I'd like and what day I'd like it. I said a steak dinner would be great and she said no problem so she made us a nice steak dinner for Sunday night. Such a nice lady. She went out of her way for us and we appreciated it. Back to fishing:

Day 2: This was our weather window day. Up early and off to Brooks. This was our first day to Lawn Point and beyond. We were trying to find some terrain that would get us hali and lings at the same time on the achor. Mike picked a pretty good spot that I think should produce both but we missed the our target by a few hundred feet. It took a little longer than we'd expected but about 3 hours later we each had our hali. We pulled the hook and moved on to lings. We tried a few rock piles and back trolled up our lings very quickly. Nice eaters but nothing very big. The yelloweye population is insane out there and we caught some real monsters. They really are a nuisance when bottom fishing. All fish were released with our Seaquilizer. It works well and we didn't see any floaters I just hope that they survive. I have my doubts. Does anyone have any tips to avoid them? While bottom fishing we noticed coho jumping so once we had our white meat we started trolling toward the highway. It took awhile to find hatchery fish but we eventually got our 4 coho. Once out on the ledge we were able to find 3 springs. The fish are normally smaller offshore anyways but the 80cm limit sure makes things tough.

Day 3: A little rougher day but we decided to try and finish our bottom fish limits. We found a spot that looked good a few miles off Kains and dropped the hook. After 3 hours of nothing but a few yelloweye we pulled the pin and moved on to salmon. We trolled towards the ledge and ended up with 3 coho to show for it. If anyone here can offer some tips on fishing "The Highway" it would be appreciated. I understand the concept of the fish travelling along that ledge I just don't understand exactly where to fish ie contour curves, structure etc. I think our other mistake is fishing to shallow. We fished between 85' and 165' feet. I think guys may be fishing a lot deeper.

Day 4: We decided to concentrate on finding our last 3 springs in the morning and then see what kind of time is left in the day. We left the dock at 4am and had gear in the water at Grant's by 5. We had the place to ourselves for quite some time but we couldn't find anything. It was very discouraging. We saw a few guys net fish which made us even more frustrated. After hours of nothing we started trolling out towards the highway. I dropped my gear to bottom in about 180' and it immediately paid off with a 75cm chicken hali. Mike followed suite and picked up his as well. At least we know the gear still works. Time to switch gears. We pulled the rods and moved up to the humps out front of Grant's ad back trolled for Lings. We picked up 3 in a pretty short order. I still needed one Ling and I wanted to try somewhere new so we moved south and found a few choice spots just beyond the approaches. I eventually hooked onto a nice legal size ling which promptly attracted the attention of something much bigger on the reef. It was a good battle getting it to the surface between the fish getting under the boat, building weather etc. I was rewarded with this beauty and the smaller one was freed to swim away.
View attachment 55069

We finished the day with a troll by Gooding and Harvey. 1 small hit and that was it.

Day 5 : Up at 3 am again and at Kains with gear in the water by 4:30. We fished tight to the kelp fishing a green splatter back hootchie on one side and a Skinny G herring aid on the other. We noticed a ton of bait stacked up at the outside edge of Kains along the kelp and so we really worked that area. I had a freight train on that I just could not slow down. We tried turning away from shore to get as far as possible from the kelp but there was nothing I could do. That fish would not let me turn him around. After what felt like a long battle and my arms were sore I started to retrieve some line but I could feel my line rubbing the kelp on the retrieve. It was a slow and steady game until the fish changed its mine. One last run and broke the leader off. Dissapointing but I don't think there was too much I could have done differently. Back to working the kelp beds. Next pass the hootchie got hammered again. This time we got the boat away from the kelp a little quicker and after a long tiring battle Mike being the better fisherman was able to bring an honest 32lb fish to the boat (40"L x 25" Girth). Despite the precariously hooked fish which made netting a challenge we brought it on board. One more good hit after that and then as boats showed up things slowed down. Oddly we had our biggest action 2 hours before tide change. After that it was quiet.
View attachment 55070

That's our trip for the year. Can't wait to get back to WH next year.

Good luck to those with upcoming trips planned it's a pretty special place.

Brian

Sounds like a great trip Brian-couple of tips for you which I hope you'll take in the spirit they are offered. I have 25 years experience at WH so this has worked for me. Grants is great at first light -sometimes-I usually run a small hardware spoon-skinneyG-wee G coho killer one side and a chovy the other side-usually around 33 ft cause it is only 40 ft in there. The reason is there are plenty of brown bombers and you can't afford to have an empty pass. If I don't see bait or take a fish after 3 or 4 passes I move around the corner to where the RCA line hits the shore-There is a huge rock which the cormorants sit on and made it white if there are birds in the water in front fish a spoon (too many bombers for bait) back and forth along the kelp about 30ft down. The birds seem to be waiting for bait and if they are there it always shows-- Leave by 0800 if nothing happens. The hiway---deep-deep my friend I start at 220 and work my way down unless I see bait higher- I always have at least 400+ ft on the rigger and won't hesitate to go 350--think about your bait choice-can be a little tiresome checking chovy but worth it in my opinion. Usually only one guy should fish that deep. For your consideration!! Enjoyed your narrative.

Sounds like a great trip Brian-couple of tips for you which I hope you'll take in the spirit they are offered. I have 25 years experience at WH so this has worked for me. Grants is great at first light -sometimes-I usually run a small hardware spoon-skinneyG-wee G coho killer one side and a chovy the other side-usually around 33 ft cause it is only 40 ft in there. The reason is there are plenty of brown bombers and you can't afford to have an empty pass. If I don't see bait or take a fish after 3 or 4 passes I move around the corner to where the RCA line hits the shore-There is a huge rock which the cormorants sit on and made it white if there are birds in the water in front fish a spoon (too many bombers for bait) back and forth along the kelp about 30ft down. The birds seem to be waiting for bait and if they are there it always shows-- Leave by 0800 if nothing happens. The hiway---deep-deep my friend I start at 220 and work my way down unless I see bait higher- I always have at least 400+ ft on the rigger and won't hesitate to go 350--think about your bait choice-can be a little tiresome checking chovy but worth it in my opinion. Usually only one guy should fish that deep. For your consideration!! Enjoyed your narrative.
25 years in WH? wow you are an old salt. There wasn't much of a sport fishery back then just the 3 packing facilities. Thanks for the great intel about Grant's. There has been a ton of squid in there lately so we fished a white hootchie on one side and a herring aid Skiny G on the other. They both produced a fish the one day and we got skunked 2 days later. The info about the highway is useful I think lol. I know we don't have much interest in fishing beyond 220' That's winter spring fishing for us but it doesn't really excite me when there are other options for these actively feeding migratory fish. We did well for springs on the ledge out from Brooks and the deepest we fished was 165' We are fine with that. What is the fishing like if we moved further down to Solander or up by Palmerston? We don't fish a lot of bait anymore. I know it's effective and there are places that we fish that it is a must I just like to avoid it. It's $$, and I get tired of buying it and then the spoon or hootchie turns out to be the go to lure and the bait goes soft and gets tossed. I guess I need a bigger boat with a freezer or at least room to keep a cooler on board.

One thing I found odd was that we didn't catch a single bomber even when fished the kelp at Kains. I remember fishing WH in 1992 which was an El Ninio year. The biggest fish that any of us caught were always close to the rocks at Kains but the downfall was that you were constantly by-catching Brown Bombers and Mackeral.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with all of us here.

Brian

25 years in WH? wow you are an old salt. There wasn't much of a sport fishery back then just the 3 packing facilities. Thanks for the great intel about Grant's. There has been a ton of squid in there lately so we fished a white hootchie on one side and a herring aid Skiny G on the other. They both produced a fish the one day and we got skunked 2 days later. The info about the highway is useful I think lol. I know we don't have much interest in fishing beyond 220' That's winter spring fishing for us but it doesn't really excite me when there are other options for these actively feeding migratory fish. We did well for springs on the ledge out from Brooks and the deepest we fished was 165' We are fine with that. What is the fishing like if we moved further down to Solander or up by Palmerston? We don't fish a lot of bait anymore. I know it's effective and there are places that we fish that it is a must I just like to avoid it. It's $$, and I get tired of buying it and then the spoon or hootchie turns out to be the go to lure and the bait goes soft and gets tossed. I guess I need a bigger boat with a freezer or at least room to keep a cooler on board.

One thing I found odd was that we didn't catch a single bomber even when fished the kelp at Kains. I remember fishing WH in 1992 which was an El Ninio year. The biggest fish that any of us caught were always close to the rocks at Kains but the downfall was that you were constantly by-catching Brown Bombers and Mackeral.

Brian
Solander is great for bottom fish but man you have to be so careful with the weather- if it kicks up it is a terrible trip back to WH. I prefer to go up to Seaotter cove at the mouth of San Jose bay stay on the hook and fish north to cape Scott with the tide and drift back with the reverse. Next morning put all you salmon gear down and troll back along the hiway staying clear of the RCA and then track the RCA line back in. Yeah I guess I am an old salt-sold the ORCA last fall and really missing the long range trips. Used to get 10 to 15 a year!!

My experience is if you're hitting Yelloweye you're too deep- that being said last week in Queen Charlotte Strait just around the corner from where you were we were hitting them in 80' of water -so what can a person do but move?

Last edited:
We are back from our four day trip. As previously mentioned it was slow, but we never came in without a fish. We caught every target species, spring, coho, ling and hali.
We were successful for Hali in around 220, sand or gravel bottom with herring.
Ling were mainly happy by catch and were caught on almost everything.
3" ap sandlance yellow green and blue meanie did the work. We rolled chovies everywhere with no love.
We were spoiled in our last two trips with some lights out days.
We ate and drank well, spent a lot of time on the water in beautiful scenery and came home with plenty of fish.
We caught a nice sole that was so tasty. I was working on our possession limit for sole, we only caught one, so it was not an issue.
Fuel barge and the Outpost have their ducks in a row, friendly and helpful. WH is maintaining their chill vibe, which is very cool in these current times. It was respectful.
We also now know we can haul out at Port Alice at a one foot tide. Back tires of the truck at the edge of the concrete. We don't plan on making a habit of this.

Fresh salmon dinner tonight for the first time in months! Family is stoked!

Brian
We’ve had a lot of luck down near solander, we don’t quite go all the way, but always have luck with springs down there. As previously mentioned you really have to keep an eye on the weather. We have friends that go south of solander which is a super long haul but they almost always came back with their limit last year. That being said we also go later than you.. North to the corner of the RCA and tacking down island has also been productive for us. There are also a couple of nice structures up there for ling and hali towards san josef from the corner of the RCA.

Well another one is in the books. We got back last night. We stayed 4 nights and fished 4.5 days. We were a party of 2 guys and ended up 2 short on springs 1 short on coho. We had to work hard to find our fish and the weather wasn't great which limited our options a little bit. We arrived at Midnight in Coal Harbour and slept in the boat on the trailer until 4am. We launched at about 5 and headed for Kains. 2 hours at Kains didn't produce so we moved on to Grant's and ended up with a 21lb spring and a 10lb spring. That was it for the day. We talked about anchoring up but we were tired and it was early in the trip so we headed in to get set up. Winter Harbour was great and accomodating as always. It really is such a great place. People aren't pretentious, you can wander around with a beer in your hand meeting new people, checking out other peoples boats and setups. Most people are willing to share info freely etc. Friday night was rib night at Be More Pacific but unfortunately you had to let her know a day ahead of time and she only does it once a week. When I seemed dissapointed she asked what I'd like and what day I'd like it. I said a steak dinner would be great and she said no problem so she made us a nice steak dinner for Sunday night. Such a nice lady. She went out of her way for us and we appreciated it. Back to fishing:

Day 2: This was our weather window day. Up early and off to Brooks. This was our first time to Lawn Point and beyond. We were trying to find some terrain that would get us hali and lings at the same time on the achor. Mike picked a pretty good spot that I think should produce both but we missed the our target by a few hundred feet. It took a little longer than we'd expected but about 3 hours later we each had our hali. We pulled the hook and moved on to lings. We tried a few rock piles and jigged up our lings very quickly. Nice eaters but nothing very big. The yelloweye population is insane out there and we caught some real monsters. They really are a nuisance when bottom fishing. All fish were released with our Seaquilizer. It works well and we didn't see any floaters I just hope that they survive. I have my doubts. Does anyone have any tips to avoid them? While bottom fishing we noticed coho jumping so once we had our white meat we started trolling toward the highway. It took awhile to find hatchery fish but we eventually got our 4 coho. Once out on the ledge we were able to find 3 springs. The fish are normally smaller offshore anyways but the 80cm limit sure makes things tough.

Day 3: A little rougher day but we decided to try and finish our bottom fish limits. We found a spot that looked good a few miles off Kains and dropped the hook. After 3 hours of nothing but a few yelloweye we pulled the pin and moved on to salmon. We trolled towards the ledge and ended up with 3 coho to show for it. If anyone here can offer some tips on fishing "The Highway" it would be appreciated. I understand the concept of the fish travelling along that ledge I just don't understand exactly where to fish ie contour curves, structure etc. I think our other mistake is fishing to shallow. We fished between 85' and 165' feet. I think guys may be fishing a lot deeper.

Day 4: We decided to concentrate on finding our last 3 springs in the morning and then see what kind of time is left in the day. We left the dock at 4am and had gear in the water at Grant's by 5. We had the place to ourselves for quite some time but we couldn't find anything. It was very discouraging. We saw a few guys net fish which made us even more frustrated. After hours of nothing we started trolling out towards the highway. I dropped my gear to bottom in about 180' and it immediately paid off with a 75cm chicken hali. Mike followed suite and picked up his as well. At least we know the gear still works. Time to switch gears. We pulled the rods and moved up to the humps out front of Grant's ad back trolled for Lings. We picked up 3 in a pretty short order. I still needed one Ling and I wanted to try somewhere new so we moved south and found a few choice spots just beyond the approaches. I eventually hooked onto a nice legal size ling which promptly attracted the attention of something much bigger on the reef. It was a good battle getting it to the surface between the fish getting under the boat, building weather etc. I was rewarded with this beauty and the smaller one was freed to swim away.
View attachment 55069

We finished the day with a troll by Gooding and Harvey. 1 small hit and that was it.

Day 5 : Up at 3 am again and at Kains with gear in the water by 4:30. We fished tight to the kelp fishing a green splatter back hootchie on one side and a Skinny G herring aid on the other. We noticed a ton of bait stacked up at the outside edge of Kains along the kelp and so we really worked that area. I had a freight train on that I just could not slow down. We tried turning away from shore to get as far as possible from the kelp but there was nothing I could do. That fish would not let me turn him around. After what felt like a long battle and my arms were sore I started to retrieve some line but I could feel my line rubbing the kelp on the retrieve. It was a slow and steady game until the fish changed its mine. One last run and broke the leader off. Dissapointing but I don't think there was too much I could have done differently. Back to working the kelp beds. Next pass the hootchie got hammered again. This time we got the boat away from the kelp a little quicker and after a long tiring battle Mike being the better fisherman was able to bring an honest 32lb fish to the boat (40"L x 25" Girth). Despite the precariously hooked fish which made netting a challenge we brought it on board. One more good hit after that and then as boats showed up things slowed down. Oddly we had our biggest action 2 hours before tide change. After that it was quiet.
View attachment 55070

That's our trip for the year. Can't wait to get back to WH next year.

Good luck to those with upcoming trips planned it's a pretty special place.

Brian
Great report Brian, thanks for sharing your experiences! It is such a special place! It’s just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Good job doing what you did, and getting what you got. Sounds like everyone is struggling a wee bit right now. It will light up again for sure!!

We’ve had a lot of luck down near solander, we don’t quite go all the way, but always have luck with springs down there. As previously mentioned you really have to keep an eye on the weather. We have friends that go south of solander which is a super long haul but they almost always came back with their limit last year. That being said we also go later than you.. North to the corner of the RCA and tacking down island has also been productive for us. There are also a couple of nice structures up there for ling and hali towards san josef from the corner of the RCA.
How late do you go? Is mid August getting late for springs in WH?

Still hot for them off cliffe and at the Anvil which is the corner of the RCA which I think TYdey is refering to. Coho should be lights out off Lawn Point as well.
I meant to ask you.......do you know much about the Marble River run? I know they have some big fish. That 32 from Kains was a white which surprised us a bit. Migratory fish just stopping inshore for a feed?????

I meant to ask you.......do you know much about the Marble River run? I know they have some big fish. That 32 from Kains was a white which surprised us a bit. Migratory fish just stopping inshore for a feed?????
I have fished in front of the marble river and Varney bay many times when we are fishing coho in late august early sept.-in fact one of my anchor spots is kenney cove which is inside the fishing boundry. Springs are closed up that far by the time the run is anywhere near there. I hooked and released a 50+ spring fishing coho sept 2 2016 at the Varney bay boundry. Although that is interesting I suspect the very large Springs we often get at cliffe point very late august are in fact Marble river fish- I have journals that go back at least 15 years of trips there so if you want to know specific areas and stuff like that pm me and I can usually pull-up where you should start for a specific date. I don't believe the 32 you caught is a marble river fish-in my experience all the fish I have taken that I thought were marble river were reds-ie from Cliffe point area very late aug early sept

Last edited:
How late do you go? Is mid August getting late for springs in WH?
We normally go for the first two weeks of august. We fish the anvil and further north, as well as down south towards solander. Last year we had exceptional luck at goodings on days where it was too rough to get outside, and even had some killer mornings at kains! And as spring fever said the coho fishing is lights out then too. You start to see some of the big northerns coming in which is always a blast

Hi guys, I'm planning for my first trip to Winter Harbour next year. From what I hear anytime there is great but am wondering if anyone has a favorite time of summer to go. Bottom fishing should be good all summer but does anyone know the timing for spring and coho runs? Any ideas will be appreciated. thanks

Hi guys, I'm planning for my first trip to Winter Harbour next year. From what I hear anytime there is great but am wondering if anyone has a favorite time of summer to go. Bottom fishing should be good all summer but does anyone know the timing for spring and coho runs? Any ideas will be appreciated. thanks

I have fished there from april 15th to sept 20 but for a new guy I would suggest your best bets would be july 15th thru aug15. The reason I chose those dates is that the fish should be at the usual spots and your chances at good weather are a little better. Outside those dates the fishing can be excellent BUT you may have to know the area really well to find the fish and if you are a new guy it is a very big ocean.

I have fished there from april 15th to sept 20 but for a new guy I would suggest your best bets would be july 15th thru aug15. The reason I chose those dates is that the fish should be at the usual spots and your chances at good weather are a little better. Outside those dates the fishing can be excellent BUT you may have to know the area really well to find the fish and if you are a new guy it is a very big ocean.

Lol I like that last statement if ever there was a truer statement I don’t know.

“If you’re a new guy it’s a big ocean”

That can be said for a lot of places and I’ve been there more than once.

Just got back from our two week trip to Winter Harbour!

First couple of days the Springs where biting good in grants! then it kind of died off and we couldn't get back on them! Bottom fishing was off the chart. We had 6 hali over 100CM one of them was 126 on the mark. We released a 1.40ish hali which was really cool, never caught one that big! Lingers where everywhere but I have never caught so many small ones looks like the ling population is pretty healthy up there! Boat did great! Can't wait until September to get back for tuna!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back