2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today we were supposed to go to Sandheads early. But when we are passing Ambleside at 6:25 it seemed pretty decent. We decided to do it for 2 hours and catch the tide. By 7:00 there was probably 30 boats all going for the same spot. for the most part everybody understands how it works at Amblesiden but it doesn't take very many people to screw it up. We left at 7:45 to Sandheads. I couldn't keep the Shakers off my line. Left at three. Out of all the days that I've been to Sandheads (about 7 so far) I think today was the slowest I've seen. But last year it this is when the last wave of springs came in for us. From the 20th to the 6th. So you never know. Maybe it will pick up tonight.

It will. Get back out tomorrow and let us know!

One of my best days ever at Sandheads was a few years ago on Sep 24th. Flood tide with little current. Landed 4 b/w 20 and 29lbs and lost 2 in just under two hours all at 80 feet on the rigger. Went out the next day and got skunked. Hit and miss this time of year.

Fished Sandheads from first light till 5pm. Lots of shakers , not even a decent hit all day .
Saw 2 fish landed by others .
Slowest day for me as well.

Help me out guys..this is my first year fishing sandheads.. To ensure that I am following the rules and fishing outside of the banana zone, when I exit the south arm I go past the white lighthouse and will start to set up my gear trolling from around 120ft heading deeper... On Friday asni was heading back to the dock I noticed a few boats with their lines in the water trolling right up parallel with the lightout at the entrance to the south arm. They trolled right last me as I was heading out and when I looked down at my sonar it was reading around 40ft deep there.... Is that area legit? If it's part of the banana and a no fishing zone let me know so that I can yell at them next time. One boat hooked up on a fish right next to the lighthouse. They reeled it in and netted the fish.

I was in that area around 3 pm Friday too. Saw the port authority boat looking around but they don't care about that stuff. I've always stayed on the outside of the green can to be safe. I saw guys inside near the light too and thats usually a byproduct of scratchy fishing out deep. I also watched a couple of guys bonk one in tight around 60' deep but they appeared to still be outside the line from jetty to jetty (NA to SA).

Any cap reports ?

Heading out tmrw from NA, seems like sandheads is a gamble or else could head to cap for a mud puppy .. I'm thinkin cap at this point

Help me out guys..this is my first year fishing sandheads.. To ensure that I am following the rules and fishing outside of the banana zone, when I exit the south arm I go past the white lighthouse and will start to set up my gear trolling from around 120ft heading deeper... On Friday asni was heading back to the dock I noticed a few boats with their lines in the water trolling right up parallel with the lightout at the entrance to the south arm. They trolled right last me as I was heading out and when I looked down at my sonar it was reading around 40ft deep there.... Is that area legit? If it's part of the banana and a no fishing zone let me know so that I can yell at them next time. One boat hooked up on a fish right next to the lighthouse. They reeled it in and netted the fish.

That area is 29-10 , here are Coords for it

20200919_220055.jpg

I'm look at old photos of the cap and I got into coho sept 20 2012. And that was the same time I lost a decent fish due to a burr on the flasher ring (yes i was dumb enough not to use a swivel on the bottom). Coho should be around and springs.

Yesterday around 5pm , there were 20 boats trolling inside the green can and the lightship . Never saw a net out , but seemed like everyone followed other boats in there . Monkey see monkey do .

Fished from 1-6 yesterday. Mile marker to Bell to QA. Marked a lot of bait but no hits for us. Moved to PA for the flood. A few other boats in the area but didn’t see any action. Had a pin popper in front of the fisheries which peeled some line and then went airborne on the surface and spat the hook. 47’ green hootchies in 100’ of water. Also saw a seal with a huge Chinook and a flasher in his mouth. Didn’t bother fishing the River mouth on our way back. Too busy and the typical sh*tshow. Saw a few guys on a Kingfisher who looked like the BCOSF crew, playing a fish by the yellow can and that was it. Boats trolling way past the green buoy in the shallows and the harbour patrol coming to push them out.
Big rain in this week’s forecast. I may park the boat after this week and chase the boggers in the rivers in October. Need to get some exercise after a long lazy September.

Fish gods made up to me after I was very badly sealed yesterday. Went to the Cap for a quick solo fish this a.m. and was fortunate to have 3 fish hit and boxed 2 for the smoker ... back at the dock by 8:10am.
That was fun to watch.

Two chromer hatch hos off bottom at cap. Closer to the yellow marker

12lb Chinook at T10 before the slack. Anchovy 44’ on DR. Released a wild coho around noon. It’s been pretty slow for the most part. Wind’s been picking up and current pushing too so I may call it a day soon.

12lb Chinook at T10 before the slack. Anchovy 44’ on DR. Released a wild coho around noon. It’s been pretty slow for the most part. Wind’s been picking up and current pushing too so I may call it a day soon.

Nice work I was wondering how its been going there. How deep out were ya? I believe tomorrow feels like another day in the floating office...

Nice work I was wondering how its been going there. How deep out were ya? I believe tomorrow feels like another day in the floating office...
300’ south west of the marker. Was a full day shift. Lots of crap in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back