2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started the usual pre-fish boat shakedown last night and the main wouldn't kick over. I almost cried after watching this forum all week from my desk at work. After messing around with it last night and this morning I found a broken wire. New end piece and a quick solder, reattach and started right up so the boy and me get out to SH by 3:30 for the pm bite. He saw what he said was a huge fish porpoise near the lightship and it turns out it was a porpoise. Anyway; dragged around chovies and zero for us and didn't see a net out. 3:30-6:30. I'll settle for the boat running well again! I'll be back out there early tomorrow.

Better for us today than Tuesday at Sand Heads. Kept three 7 am - 3:30 pm, all 17 - 18 lbs and marbled. One about 10% red, one 50% and one about 95% (last was hatchery marked). Lost two others at least the same size in the exact same way - ripped off the clip (both times in the rod right away) peeled out line for about 5 - 10 seconds, jumped clear out of the water and have us a good look, and then spat the hook. Definitely weren’t coho although sure acted like it. One jack spring too.

Lots of nets out through the day, but definitely slower overall than opening day. Anchovies and herring both working today, 45’ - 60’.

Way more commercial crab traps this year which is a PITA. Saw at least three boats tangled up in them today. We hit one Tuesday too when I let me buddy drive the boat while I checked the rods...

Finally had a chance to wet the rod and reel combo purchased from Harbour Chandler this past boat show today. Started at 13:00 from T10 toward SH. Nothing for a couple of hours. Around 15:00 made a turn from 400 feet of water toward the light house. DR at 72 feet.As soon as we turn toward the port side, the rod went off and after a 35 minute tug of war, we land this beauty. A 34 lb white. He was so heavy I needed my partner to lift it onto the boat. As a matter of fact, he was so heavy that it it bust my landing net. The biggest fish we have ever landed. Memory that will last a life time.

Attachments

• 290FB88C-741F-4470-9621-C72695F3B81F.png
    290FB88C-741F-4470-9621-C72695F3B81F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 284
Finally had a chance to wet the rod and reel combo purchased from Harbour Chandler this past boat show today. Started at 13:00 from T10 toward SH. Nothing for a couple of hours. Around 15:00 made a turn from 400 feet of water toward the light house. DR at 72 feet.As soon as we turn toward the port side, the rod went off and after a 35 minute tug of war, we land this beauty. A 34 lb white. He was so heavy I needed my partner to lift it onto the boat. As a matter of fact, he was so heavy that it it bust my landing net. The biggest fish we have ever landed. Memory that will last a life time.
Congrats!! Thats a beauty!!

Out at SH and it’s pretty quiet so far. Only saw one guy get either a small spring or a coho; he was fishing in 180ft an d fishing shallow. Super calm out here.

Friend of mine is out there this morning , calm right now , they have 2 spring and 2 hatchery Coho onboard , says lots of nets out .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back