2020 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got here. Will report in tomorrow. Heard the inside is picking up. Cree has been hot as has Wya and Flo. Will investigate for myself though haha

Was at wya a few days ago and it was dread slow. Cree was good 3 days ago when we where there. Rats nose was slow for us yesterday and not bad on Thursday we had to go through a lot of smaller springs to get some decent ones with size.

Was at wya a few days ago and it was dread slow. Cree was good 3 days ago when we where there. Rats nose was slow for us yesterday and not bad on Thursday we had to go through a lot of smaller springs to get some decent ones with size.
Was there any coho at Rat Nose? I was there about a 9 days ago and we were getting coho at all depth. Did not get any springs though.

Lots yesterday on the surface but we stayed down deep and didn’t get more than a couple. Got a few pacific cod trolling in the bottom for the first time there. Not sure if that usual or not.

I'm at the ferry.
Lots of wild cohos and smalls at South Bank on Wednesday. Cree was very good on Thursday early and slow today. Big Bank was good for halibut but I only got one good spring yesterday, so unless you need hali, it may not be worth it. But it was very good on Wednesday. Wya was good yesterday and today. The shore line near the lighthouse/little beach is also producing. Good trip, coming home a day early, since I can count to 4 unlike some of the 2 weeks at a time folks.
Ukee is humming with people and there are lots of boats laden with crews out.
Covid shmovid, I guess.

I'm at the ferry.
Lots of wild cohos and smalls at South Bank on Wednesday. Cree was very good on Thursday early and slow today. Big Bank was good for halibut but I only got one good spring yesterday, so unless you need hali, it may not be worth it. But it was very good on Wednesday. Wya was good yesterday and today. The shore line near the lighthouse/little beach is also producing. Good trip, coming home a day early, since I can count to 4 unlike some of the 2 weeks at a time folks.
Ukee is humming with people and there are lots of boats laden with crews out.
Covid shmovid, I guess.

crazy to see so many people From out of province and out of country in ukee and tofino was a real shocker to us. Didn’t see many people worried about covid or atleast they didn’t seem to be. Happy for the local shops as they need it and they did well to try and keep things organized and safe. Just makes it a little harder when so many people push the social distancing envelope. We had a good trip and look forward to coming back again.

Also a lot of commercial trollers working for springs out at rats nose and big banks so might affect the spring fishing for the rec guys.

Pretty slow at Wya / the north side of flo. Saw two fish hooked by other boats and landed a fat spring just under #20.

Starfish was on fire yesterday, we released at least a dozen mid teens before getting our limit of 20 pound plus Springers. Couldn't keep the teeners off our spoons so we swapped to the tried and true Tomic Tubby 507 and 600. Spoons also worked pretty well at Turtle Head Saturday. No need to pound all the way out to the Rats nose, plenty of fish close.

Is the water copper brown around Ukee and what about offshore. Very brown water around Bamfield and into the sound. Thanks

Went to Big bank yesterday. Anchored for hali. Slow. Had three chickens. Lots of dog fish. Day before yesterday had some luck at Meares with a couple of coho and a nice spring.

Parking by the ramp is pretty full lately, but seems guys are using the parking lot at the foodbank and baseball diamond as over flow.

How's the fishing? In looking at the archives plus Salmon Eye Charters' old reports, it looks like there is a chance at some close to shore late ones. Also hoping for a hali or two more without going to big bank. My wife and I will be fishing Tuesday- Friday.

Good question. I always struggle this time of year. Will be fishing Saturday - monday. We will probably troll from the lighthouse towards wya point targeting close to shore with bait and then try for halibut on the troll at lighthouse bank. We also have our fly fishing gear and waders if we decide to run out to some rivers in Clayoquot sound.

I've never had the chance to visit in September. Looking forward to something different.
Your plan is what I would do, but if I go out to a bank, I'll anchor for hali. There is nothing better than the first click of a hali reel interrupting a nap on the deck of the boat- think Jaws. We'll give Beg and Chrow a try when my wife is along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back