Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't out will report tonight. Lol

EXACTLY what Rollie just said and hey if you get a fish trust me ill move as now YOU have the right of way. I will always move for you ill turn out or if needed turn right around best thing ANYONE can do with a fish on is get gear up get everything under control then put in neutral or VERY slow to turn your boat to fish ... If you continue at trolling speed with fish its gonna make it way harder I always laugh at guy who leave the gear in water and then it get tangled in other rod and cluster $%^& ensues take your time get everything under control BRING the fish to you dont drag it and then REACH way out the back with net only to see the hook get into net and one tail flip and its gone Ive seen it WAY to many times and then people get on edge and pissed of they lost a fish they worked so hard to get...
As for report last 2 days with the rain really sucked as it was a huge pressure change was ablbe to get them but very tough and WOW had everything yesterday Fog the RAIN then sun .... weird day!!!

OH I KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Otter yesterday was the worst I ever saw in my life it was horrid couple of guys really screw things up its really not hard and when the flow goes as you know Rollie it works great been fishing near you for almost 30 years and , **** happens now and then when weeds and fish are on but we know that , its so much easier when we work together out there,, then we dont need to say HEY RIGHT ROD TO SHORE.... trust me the guides all 10 of us and a few others are getting pissed dont be surprised if WE dont move and your lines gonna get snapped off we are tired and getting cranky...
just a warning....take as you wish...
I’ll give you 9 out of 10 of you. 1 guide that shall remain nameless wants the contour both ways and is pushy about it. Muir looks easy on a map but is a tough spot when crowded because it’s a steep shelf and you can go from 120ft to 60ft depth with a slight turn and the current can push you around. Good point by Rollie that a boat is not necessarily headed in the direction their bow is facing when currents involved.

Fished west yesterday solo from 7-10:30. . Kept 1, lost 1, released 1. Much slower than last week. Big ebb tide in am. Change in pressure and ****** tide made for slow fishing. heading out shortly with my family. Late start with the ladies joining us today. Hoping it’s a late bite.

EXACTLY what Rollie just said and hey if you get a fish trust me ill move as now YOU have the right of way. I will always move for you ill turn out or if needed turn right around best thing ANYONE can do with a fish on is get gear up get everything under control then put in neutral or VERY slow to turn your boat to fish ... If you continue at trolling speed with fish its gonna make it way harder I always laugh at guy who leave the gear in water and then it get tangled in other rod and cluster $%^& ensues take your time get everything under control BRING the fish to you dont drag it and then REACH way out the back with net only to see the hook get into net and one tail flip and its gone Ive seen it WAY to many times and then people get on edge and pissed of they lost a fish they worked so hard to get...
As for report last 2 days with the rain really sucked as it was a huge pressure change was ablbe to get them but very tough and WOW had everything yesterday Fog the RAIN then sun .... weird day!!!
I always move out of the way when a boat has a fish on. They have the priority. Too bad some others think that is permission to go to the spot that the fish is on. Basically if a boat has a fish on no other boat should be near that guy and should move away.

Ok honest question. I’m headed west at Otter between first and second rock on a hard flood. A few guide boats troll faster than I do and come up behind me and give me the dirty look. So do I maintain my tack or move out of the way for the faster troller?

Honest question, my honest answer. Don’t let anyone out there make you believe there are “rules”. Fishing is suppose to be fun. Do it however you like, try different things. People are way too serious, give them a friendly smile and wave and continue what you are doing. You are the captain of your boat - not them!

What everyone needs to understand is that not one person fishes the same as the other. Different ways of tying knots, brining baits, trolling speeds etc. Not everyone will do things the same.
But there is one thing that everyone can agree on. No one wants to lose their gear to a boat passing by. You have a 50/50 chance it could be your gear lost or theirs.
Give each other space. Don't get all worked up, you're out there for a good time.
Guide boats are just boats on the water too. They have no special rules they don't have to follow either.
You may not get the line you wanted to troll the first or second try but you will get it several times before your day is over.
If you dont enjoy your time fishing around a bunch of boats on top of a bunch of fish then come on out to Sidney catch a boat load of shakers all by yourself with no one to cheer you on.

When you go east you can really go where you want

Maybe when you head home east at the end of your day you could go to the outside instead of running through the pack of boats on the beach to do a site seeing adventure for your guests just to show them your old house on Gordon's.. Spencer (Young) is no better. All guides are saints tho lol.. Oh a report. Fished Sec yesterday and fish were out a little deeper 2 nice cookie cutters..

It’s really not that tough. The fish are all over the place and it’s not like you have to go west or east at a certain depth. I always do follow the right rod to shore rule but if I want the inside tack I’ll move out of the way of the boats the do have the right away.(as best as possible). I have never cut a fish off and only ever once in about 25 years have myself and another boat tangled gear. Like hooked up said it’s a free ocean fish what works for you and just don’t be an idiot out there and everything should be ok.

There is no right rod to shore rule, period. It's a guide or practice that most up at Otter Pt do. when everyone does it its great. Not everyone knows what the practices are out there. Some people are new to a area or new to fishing. There is only a couple rules that every person out there should do, give the other guy some space, don't push him on to the beach. Don't foul up anyone's gear, it's just a waste of time for both of you. And the guy with the right of way is the guy with a fish. The guy with the fish give him some room and hopefully he in turn will stay on top of it and make his way out of the pack. Fishing in a pack is not easy for anyone, you may be on the outside one minute and the inside the next. You have just as much a right to fish anywhere and anyway you want. You might not make any friends, but its your fishing trip not theirs. Go out and enjoy yourself people, fishing is supposed to be fun.

There is no right rod to shore rule, period
And its guys like you that ruin it . So when its comes to the DOT rules when your supposed to under plane pass wherever way you want on water too ??? drive onto oncoming traffic as well???

here is a diagram from the water safety handbook maybe you should re read it????
overtakingrules-400x585.jpg

Always been a right rod to shore rule its called fishermen etiquette some have it some not , 30 years ago if you didnt head this rule guys would through weights thru your window... its a courtesy thing...
Not once you have heard Ive cut a fish off of a guys boat , I expect the same Courtesy I give its called respect and unfortunately some dont give a ****...
It was good today everyone seemed to follow the pack and gave room nice to see thanks guys!!!!!

So I am new to the salmon scene. Was out by Muir creek last year and thought I was doing the right thing but got yelled at by blue wolf charters had the drivers side of the boat on the contour. So please clear this for me . Drivers side is right or left. Also anyone catching fish out there thought this was a fishing report page .

I DOUBT IT ...
I really really doubt it i may have looked at ya and shook my head at ya ... but thats about it...
hmmmmmm new member posting slamming me interesting move along troll.
As for a report last few days with rain sucked today was way better limit of springs in short order and thanks to the guys in whaler for moving when I had a double header on much appreciated... and for some good news seems the coho are starting to move back in guys may want to target them as well now out in the deeper water...

Last edited:
Read your examples Wolf. Don’t see right rod to shore rule there. How to pass another boat, yes. I have fished Otter tons and fished beside you many times and we have never had a problem. So don’t tell me I’m the problem.

I’ve had a few guides think they are king of the roost! And not follow any of the above mentioned rules!

one even yelled at me. I was right rod rocks with a fish on. One of his guest had a fish on. I had no where to go and he was flailing yelling at how I lost his guest fish like a total putz.
He turned into me. Both myself and buddy just shook our heads.

And its guys like you that ruin it . So when its comes to the DOT rules when your supposed to under plane pass wherever way you want on water too ??? drive onto oncoming traffic as well???

here is a diagram from the water safety handbook maybe you should re read it????
overtakingrules-400x585.jpg

Always been a right rod to shore rule its called fishermen etiquette some have it some not , 30 years ago if you didnt head this rule guys would through weights thru your window... its a courtesy thing...
Not once you have heard Ive cut a fish off of a guys boat , I expect the same Courtesy I give its called respect and unfortunately some dont give a ****...
It was good today everyone seemed to follow the pack and gave room nice to see thanks guys!!!!!
Thanks for that.. most definitely a rule!!

Most sooke guides are decent guys who are totally respectful. The guys that are on here certainly are professionals.....some others not so much. One guy with a big al is pretty much a complete douche who doesn’t even drive his boat just pretty much let’s it go wherever he wants....green stripe, we know who I’m talking about.... even coho fishing he feels the need to run you over in 500’ of water. Ok rant over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back