2020 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
just back from our trip on Malcolm Island with chris73 (since Sunday) - truly epic! Even with 2 days almost a writeoff from wind (Tues especially), we probably landed 20 springs, lost another 10 (4 or 5 hogs), a nice 12lb coho, pulled a 15lb hali on the troll and another off the bank. One tyee (barely we think) landed 98cm x 62.5, one about 25, 2 or 3 around 20 let go, several nicely in the slot between 75-80cm. Lizard and Black Bluffs almost all the action between 50 and 80. Yesterday was absolutely stunning and today wasn't half bad either. Only thing that eluded us was lingcod although we didn't get to too many spots. Strange to not find pinks and cohos thou - only 2 small pinks! That was odd for sure.

Best trip I have had here as springs go. Whale shows every day as well - can't beat it!

Thanks for sharing. Have read through this post a half dozen times. Brought back memories of one of my best experiences ever. Three families drove up to TC from Nanoose, trailered up. spent 3-4 days fishing. Stayed at Pierre's for a couple of nights (best Pig Roast ever!). Went back to TC to return home when the herd decided to split. Trucks, trailers and flat-water fishers drove back to Nanoose while the 3 17' footers decided to head down through the passage. Absolutely fantastic! Left TC, hit Sayward, Lund, Hornby and ended up just outside of Schooner Cove after an overnighter on one of the smaller islands. Truly recommend this trip with the right weather and charts on board.

just back from our trip on Malcolm Island with chris73 (since Sunday) - truly epic! Even with 2 days almost a writeoff from wind (Tues especially), we probably landed 20 springs, lost another 10 (4 or 5 hogs), a nice 12lb coho, pulled a 15lb hali on the troll and another off the bank. One tyee (barely we think) landed 98cm x 62.5, one about 25, 2 or 3 around 20 let go, several nicely in the slot between 75-80cm. Lizard and Black Bluffs almost all the action between 50 and 80. Yesterday was absolutely stunning and today wasn't half bad either. Only thing that eluded us was lingcod although we didn't get to too many spots. Strange to not find pinks and cohos thou - only 2 small pinks! That was odd for sure.

Best trip I have had here as springs go. Whale shows every day as well - can't beat it!

The lack of mature coho was disturbing. On the positives, the entire north side of Malcolm was teeming with juvenile coho by the millions. Some are clipped as we found out.

Well with most of regulars here chasing "the big one " now my fishing partner and I decided to check out the coho action a little north of here, man did we have an insane day. We caught and released 18-20 coho in the 11-12# range with 5 double headers and lost another, well let's just say, a few more. Had some of the best fights and amazing aireal shows I seen in a while. All in flat calm water and steep mountain splendor. It's nice to catch the big Springs but I'll put today's fun against it any day

And to top it all off I got a 10# starry flounder at 50' on the rigger in 300' of water

Well with most of regulars here chasing "the big one " now my fishing partner and I decided to check out the coho action a little north of here, man did we have an insane day. We caught and released 18-20 coho in the 11-12# range with 5 double headers and lost another, well let's just say, a few more. Had some of the best fights and amazing aireal shows I seen in a while. All in flat calm water and steep mountain splendor. It's nice to catch the big Springs but I'll put today's fun against it any day

I'm heading to Port McNeill Saturday, for mostly family fishing for a week or so. Can you say a bit more about where you were fishing? Coho is perfect for the kids.

I'm heading to Port McNeill Saturday, for mostly family fishing for a week or so. Can you say a bit more about where you were fishing? Coho is perfect for the kids.
if I was a betting man, I'd say he is talking Hardy....Castle maybe. We only saw one good coho our whole time off Malcolm.

Good thing you are not a betting man..... go north young man …… retention of wild coho , limit one per day
I was just going to ask him "how much ". It's a long ways from McNeil, anyway my other buddy went back today and only had one fish and one bite.

It was open where we were and we did keep two 12#ers.

It was open where we were and we did keep two 12#ers.
Another banner day there today....we kept out two wilds and released 10-15 coho in the 12-16 lb range . One of the keepers was 16lbs on my scale. We also got into 4 of those Star Flounders I am still amazed that I caught them at 37ft in 300 feet of water. I have never eaten one and hope they are good .

Another banner day there today....we kept out two wilds and released 10-15 coho in the 12-16 lb range . One of the keepers was 16lbs on my scale. We also got into 4 of those Star Flounders I am still amazed that I caught them at 37ft in 300 feet of water. I have never eaten one and hope they are good .
Give us a report on their eating quality

Give us a report on their eating quality
I did a quick fry of some of the one I got in butter and garlic and it was awesome, but I'm Norwegian and almost anything out of the sea is up my alley

I did a quick fry of some of the one I got in butter and garlic and it was awesome, but I'm Norwegian and almost anything out of the sea is up my alley
Thanks. I’ve always thrown them back before

u guys are nuts! Are you actually going 55miles one way to area 11 or is there actually good coho up the inlets??

Buster Brown and I have been called way worse than "nuts":)

Capt Ed apparently isn't in a sharing mood, but we've often caught good coho in Fife and Wells Passage on the mainland side - not as many as at Malcolm Is, and certainly not the dozens Capt Ed was throwing back.

I absolutely will vouch for Capt Eds report on the number of fish over there ....some days are slower than others however if the fish are moving through...hang on to your rod … I was over there yesterday EI , when was your report of " not the dozens Capt Ed has thrown back " ?? Have you ever been there ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back