Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m curious. Can the police stop you from going to tahsis? There is no stay at home order. They can suggest only locals but ......

Why would the police have a roadblock at the narrows if they couldn’t stop you? It wouldn’t serve any purpose. The BC Gov guidelines say stay local, right now. Maybe that’ll change in a week or 2. I think the answer is if you’re not from the area they can turn you away. The roadblock may not be there ever day tho.

Maybe port Eliza or west view marina can chime in on this. I’m going first week of June.

I’m curious. Can the police stop you from going to tahsis? There is no stay at home order. They can suggest only locals but ......

They cannot stop you from going to Tahsis, Gold River, or wherever you would like to go. They can suggest you don’t go there.

They can stop you at a roadblock to check sobriety, check for valid insurance, drivers licence status and mechanical reliability of your vehicle to name a few reasons.

I have not personally seen any orders issues by the provincial or federal government that indicate you “cannot go to a specific town”

I drove through that roadblock on Friday going to fish the elk. The cops never mentioned anything about to us about staying home they were just checking for for booze, etc. Before the long weekend

I drove through that roadblock on Friday going to fish the elk. The cops never mentioned anything about to us about staying home they were just checking for for booze, etc. Before the long weekend
how was the elk? Im thinking of giving it a go next weekend

It was a bit slow there didn't seem to be to many fish in the system yet. We did get a few but had to work for them

So the border is closed now until at least june 17, and Dix states perhaps longer...that's going to shift the perspective for the resorts opening I imagine.

Moutcha did not reply to my email if they have a plan b in the event the Gold River ramp is closed so I will call them tomorrow.

Tofino Resort Marina is taking bookings as of June 1st. Not sure what is happening with their road block. Just an FYI

If you are staying at Moutcha, I am pretty sure they will launch your boat for you if you need assistance.

It's not in the cards to tow my boat down that road to the resort at 7,500 lbs + for the boat and trailer. I would run out from PA instead but that adds on an extra day on each side, plus all that amazing fishing along the way, we be hard pressed to justify the trip to moutcha.

The road isn’t that bad most of the time, 3 big hills to Moutcha and 2 of them are paved with the grades around 12- 15%. The first hill is usually full of washboard as it isn’t paved. The gravel sections are usually seal coated in the summer that helps with dust and compacts the road. Watch for logging trucks, road is wide in most spots with a few narrow sections. Heavy rain and lots of traffic will turn the road to crap. Stay away from the outside edge of the road if you have too,as the outside is very soft and will suck you in. Good ply tires with a spare or 2 drive SLOW and use your gears on the hills and you will be okay. FYI I drag my 30’ travel trailer down that road.

Critter Cove is planning to operate based on what I’ve heard. I’m optimistic that launch will open before Canada Day. Dedos cruzados. Maybe a consortium of business owners should offer to operate it this summer and pay the band a percentage of income. That way the Band can step back and keep their elders safe. I just don’t see social distancing that hard to do at that ramp. Other than a payment transaction you can maintain 6 feet. If the locals are concerned, you can drive from Campbell River direct to the launch without stopping. Launch and never make contact with anyone in Gold River. I’d be willing to even pre pay launch fees online if you could do it. People gotta get creative. Nows the time to find solutions, not July 1.

Maybe port Eliza or west view marina can chime in on this. I’m going first week of June.
We have had no issues getting to Tahsis or Zabellos. Westview Marina us open and has fuel as does Esperanza. The Gold River launch was closed last Friday by the Band, only locals and natives can use it. We are open for bring your own boat and food. Just use the BBQs and kitchen to cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back