2020 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed the 6am bite. Was late to the dance by 1hr. Was nice day out this morning. My 15 year old son caught a beautiful 25 lbs on a plug at 200 ft. Beautiful fish. Nice and fat. Big silver scales. Gave him a great recovery time and off he went. Also got a nice ho at 144 ft, but had a darn adp. fin. Another nice release. Looking forward to tomorrow am. Should be a great day.

Managed to get out to Ballenas last night. Found some schooling right to bottom so threw both lines to 235’ on rigger in 235’ of depth. Released 2 under size and then found a Unicorn.

Inside rod went down and up. My son grabbed it an tried to set it, not realizing it was no longer attached to the rigger. It simply ran and ran and ran. Then on retrieval, it did that cool half-surface about 30 yards from the boat. Line was straight out and the top half of the fish just swim from left to right across the water.

Got it in and put it on the measuring board. As close to the max as possible and what a football. Came in at a hair under 20# on the scale. So, whether 80 and 20 or not, it was an awesome fight that turned into 2 nice slabs. Purple haze flasher, some sort of 3” spoon with shiny silver scaling pattern.

Looking for some Plug fishing advice. Have just started using them this year and have done very well considering. Have gotten fish almost every trip. However, I'm finding since the change my landing rate is way way down.I'm losing about 50% of my fish on. I'm usually at 98% so you can see my concern. I'm looking for what I could be doing wrong in playing the fish differently when using a 5", 6" or 7" plug. They are all super sharp with the most pin in with swivel and hook, they just go nuts with the head shaking. That far too often causes the high losses. Play them tighter looser? Pull the pins and drill them? Any advice appreciated.
The best plug has been the G24L 7"
Thanks

I vote pull the pins and fish a glow bead, bead chain and then a gammy big river open siwash...

Was out again this a.m. around 6-8 and managed to put two in the boat. Lost the first pin popper as I was messing with my coffee... looked up and she’s off the rigger, grabbed it, took one good run and was gone. Landed the other two, one down at 230’on the green eyed monster and the other at 150’ on a #645 5” tubby. That was it for action, lots of bait on the surface as the gulls were searching around then diving headlong into it. Lots of marks but seemed a little slow. All in all a good morning. One red and one marble.

i

get pull the pins and the bead but what is "a gammy big river open siwash" ?

it’s a make and model of a hook. reputable fishing store will have them. one thing when changing hooks on plugs: sometimes the hook point will get caught on the back of the plug; here you are fishing a nice piece of water with no action, you pull up to check and hook is caught up. super annoying. choose accordingly!

Like BigDog I nailed a beauty football the other night on the green eyed monster plug, as well it was as close to 80cm you could possibly get, bled it then weighed it at home...19.5lbs...not sure if it had half a pound of blood in it, just a perfect fish. The dude with the 1000$ prize can suck it, the 80cm 20lbers exist.

Was out Saturday solo relesed 2 lost 2. Got my first tyee in 45 years of fishing 100cm ; estimated weight was 35-39. Back out with my son and a friend and again lost a few kept a 62cm and 67 cm and another tyee! 97cmL x 71cmG 37.45lb what a 2 night run. All on the G24 a 5 and 7". 205-240'. Would be nice if they could have been kept them, never 100% they will survive the 20-30 minute battles.

Was out Saturday solo relesed 2 lost 2. Got my first tyee in 45 years of fishing 100cm ; estimated weight was 35-39. Back out with my son and a friend and again lost a few kept a 62cm and 67 cm and another tyee! 97cmL x 71cmG 37.45lb what a 2 night run. All on the G24 a 5 and 7". 205-240'. Would be nice if they could have been kept them, never 100% they will survive the 20-30 minute battles.
Way to go! This will be my 41st year of trying so glad to hear there is still hope.

Out last night from 6:30 to 9:00. Our plan to catch a release a 40 lb chinook salmon didn't pan out but it was a great night on the water. We fished a 602 plug and spackle back hootchie deep with an army truck hootchie stacked above. No bites from 6:30 to 8 but then some activity starting around 8. We missed a good hit on the shallow rod and then got a 1olb spring on the deep hootchie. Then two more springs back to back, both about 12 or 13 lbs. Seemed to be people catching around us too at the same time. The hits we had were from 140-180 ft.

Boat ramp was good, 10/10 - traffic on the water wasn't too bad, lots of boats but fine, 8/10 - fish were cooperative but on the small side, 8/10 - weather was better than forecasted, 10/10. No complaints here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back