2020 Campbell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut an 80cm stick, lay it beside the fish in the net while still in the water.

Good call man. I will get that tonight. Simple solution I never thought of...

I'm heading to Cambell River this weekend for a 2 week vacation. I hate the thought of having to handle fish so I can get a measurement.... Unfortunately I dont have a history of measuring salmon and dont have an eye for the size class when it's in the water. With Halibut I am good at estimating length in the water and minimize the amount of fish handled.

Hopefully it starts to become obvious with salmon.

That said I need to be able to catch a fish first....

I will give updates on how I make out

get a piece of doweling wood and mark it off with a jiffy. Where you going to be staying? Will be coming through CR pretty hot Thursday morning on my way to Nootka

edit - sorry missed the other reply...

get a piece of doweling wood and mark it off with a jiffy. Where you going to be staying? Will be coming through CR pretty hot Thursday morning on my way to Nootka

edit - sorry missed the other reply...

I will be staying at Pacific Playgrounds. Got a cabin rented there for 2 weeks. Whole family can not wait.

Good luck in Nootka!

Try these spots ILHG

Attachments

• 3CECEA44-7039-4A7D-ACE7-A360C28D9465.jpeg
    3CECEA44-7039-4A7D-ACE7-A360C28D9465.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 265
Just got back from Pacific Playgrounds. I spent 5 days jigging for salmon off of Wilby Shoal with a few friends and our kids. Lots of chinook around. You should do well! The spots pointed out by Trophy21 are the key locations for trolling, maybe add in the hump near Campbell River (off the lighthouse). There was a lot of pressure at Kitty Coleman and lots of fish hooked there. There are lots of chinook of various sizes on the shoals if you don't feel like dragging gear at 300 feet deep.

NOTE TO ALL: There are a LOT of young chinook around. Please PLEASE avoid treble hooks and really large hooks. I left with some guilt regarding a few young ones that were messed up by our trebles. Lesson learned by me. Never again. I'd rather lose a few fish on a single barbless than unnecessarily hurt one of these awesome creatures. I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this. Point is one way or the other we need to limit our impact - I'm sure we can all agree on that!

Hit the water this morning at 5:30am, back at ramp at 8am. Half dozen small Springs to the boat before we got into some decent fish. Bonked one at 80cm and a second at 78cm. Released another two at 80cm and 87cm respectively. Green/white Skinny G with 72" leader was the ticket. Lots of boats out so be patient and respect your fellow fishers.

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 120
I noticed on the regs that Chinook is only open until aug 31? Are they planning on closing Chinook after that? Or am I reading the regs wrong? Thanks guys!

Sorry, my bad, fished the West side (45cm) all my life, still adjusting to the inside, you are correct, 62cm.
Thanks for that. I’m in the same boat, learning a new set of rules

NOTE TO ALL: There are a LOT of young chinook around. Please PLEASE avoid treble hooks and really large hooks. I left with some guilt regarding a few young ones that were messed up by our trebles. Lesson learned by me. Never again. I'd rather lose a few fish on a single barbless than unnecessarily hurt one of these awesome creatures. I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this. Point is one way or the other we need to limit our impact - I'm sure we can all agree on that!

Couldn't agree more with you Bowbreaker and good on you for bringing that up. I've stopped using treble hooks wherever there's young Chinooks around. Even if pinched, the treble hooks just cause way too much permanent damage to the mouths of those fish. Like you, I'd rather lose a few fish on barbless than mangle the mouth of a small Chinook to the point where it can't eat properly.

Went to mark my gaff... turns out the handle is 80 cm

After some practice runs, I found the easiest way to do a quick length check is to hold the fish by the tail, while in the net, and lift it out of the water until its nose is at the surface, then place your 80cm "DFO CLUB" at the surface as well, now you have your 80cm mark and the "V" of the tail nice and close to you, too big, lift out of net and release.

After some practice runs, I found the easiest way to do a quick length check is to hold the fish by the tail, while in the net, and lift it out of the water until its nose is at the surface, then place your 80cm "DFO CLUB" at the surface as well, now you have your 80cm mark and the "V" of the tail nice and close to you, too big, lift out of net and release.
Unsure if your suggesting to hold the fish just by the tail but I was always taught not to do this. Pretty hard on the fish’s spine I think. Maybe someone has more insight on this?

Unsure if your suggesting to hold the fish just by the tail but I was always taught not to do this. Pretty hard on the fish’s spine I think. Maybe someone has more insight on this?
If you take the care to hold it straight up and down, not an issue, just be careful not to torque on the tail and put pressure the the spine. I also find the fish stay relaxed when in this position.

If you take the care to hold it straight up and down, not an issue, just be careful not to torque on the tail and put pressure the the spine. I also find the fish stay relaxed when in this position.
But if someone has a better way I am always open to new ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back