2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Sounds like we missed a good day for Hali fishing. Repair on the fuel module didn’t go as planned. Broke a stainless bolt in the housing. Have to wait for a new module. :( Next week.​

How was the water today? Trying to figure out water based on forecasts. There was a gale warning so we didn’t go out today. Bad choice?

Departed Ucluelet around 8am in a 16 foot whaler. Ran out to Cree and fished and then offshore for Halibut. Ended up with four chinook between 8-16bs and halibut. Great day.

After cleaning the fish I found a pretty crazy mix of feed. One was full of big squid, and the rest had really big herring in them. Caught all four chinook on skinny g herring aid spoons at 65-85 feet between cree and Austin.

Calum, I think I was trolling alongside you for a bit this afternoon. We were the blue and grey Weldcraft with the nuclear-powered 5 year old child aboard, so we had that going for us.

Wasn’t doing so well on the salmon front today so tried for ling which can be more active/fun for the kids. We ended up with two nice sized legals to take home for dinner.

Also had a grey(?) whale cruise past us today near Meares. It moved so smoothly I thought it was an escaped prop from Star Trek IV.

I'm guessing there was a few of use fishing beside each other on Sat. over there....Killed a couple release of a couple 8lbers.. All of ours were only on a 2.0 silver night herring aid.. weird couldn't get anything to go on the bigger spoons or Hoochies .. :)
20200606_104632_resized.jpg

20200606_105502_resized.jpg
20200606_154319_resized.jpg

Last edited:
managed to troll up another chicken Hali at Whittlestone this morning and another boat their got a 20lb Hali . White hootchy right on the bottom. hit a few springs as well . biggest maybe 8

have to leave today by 9 30. so at 630 told the wife I was going down to tidy and clean the boat. figured theirs no better place to tidy boat than on the water. hit the wall for a tac. had a hit right away but line wasn't tight to clip and it was gone. trolled down to 2nd point and back up. approaching the harbour deep rod 87 ft with spoon bounces. grab the rod and theirs a small one on. as I'm bringing it up 2nd rod gets hammered and it's peeling. Small fish rod in holder and I'm on something with size. bit of a **** Show as I'm trying to keep big fish away from small fish on the surface behind boat. finally getting a look and it's a 20lb spring that's been belly hooked. again on my white hootchy. been a great week up here. gotta love the sound. now I gotta do Bamfield grind back to Van. up again next week. will report

Calum, I think I was trolling alongside you for a bit this afternoon. We were the blue and grey Weldcraft with the nuclear-powered 5 year old child aboard, so we had that going for us.

Wasn’t doing so well on the salmon front today so tried for ling which can be more active/fun for the kids. We ended up with two nice sized legals to take home for dinner.

Also had a grey(?) whale cruise past us today near Meares. It moved so smoothly I thought it was an escaped prop from Star Trek IV.

I recall trolling past you several times. Beautiful day on the water - especially for my little boat. I'm just about finished a restoration on a 176 Double Eagle which should be a better platform for rougher days.

Calum, are you a local? Is Ucluelet open for business and welcoming, yet? My wife tripped over one of my tackle boxes in the hall and dropped something today. She said the F word and I got yelled at. I have to get out of here and go there.
Welcome to the forum.
Tubber - I'm based out of Nanaimo, but spend most weekends in Ucluelet and leave my boat in Ucluelet. Ucluelet isn't quite ready to welcome guests yet but that will change once we officially enter into Phase 3 of the restart plan. I have a place to stay in Ucluelet and bring all my own supplies to town so I don't need to go into any stores out of respect for the small community. That said, it looks like lots of businesses have opened with some creative social distancing solutions.

Tubber - I'm based out of Nanaimo, but spend most weekends in Ucluelet and leave my boat in Ucluelet. Ucluelet isn't quite ready to welcome guests yet but that will change once we officially enter into Phase 3 of the restart plan. I have a place to stay in Ucluelet and bring all my own supplies to town so I don't need to go into any stores out of respect for the small community. That said, it looks like lots of businesses have opened with some creative social distancing solutions.
Thanks for the reply. I've been leaving my boat in Ukee for quite a few summers, and hope to again this year.

Well, first time fishing in the salt on Monday and Tuesday morning. Mainly fished for salmon, didn't go offshore for hali as it was pretty rough. Fished the wall right out of Bamfield, caught a couple shakers and then a nice 12lb chinook on a 3.5 cop car. Not a single prawn in the traps. But some massive dungeness and red rocks in the crab pots. Back to Vancouver I go.

Gonna head out to bamfield in the morn any recent intel? Gonna spend a couple nights will report back.

Good luck out there
My sons heading out also..look for the 19ft glasply around Pill or Swale..I'm out of commission for awhile recovering from yesterdays shoulder surgery otherwise I'd be heading over to meet him and run out for the weekend.

Back