2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a killer few hours of the north arm used our bait up quick then put a white hootchie on and a pink squirt and was still slamming them ,I don't recall getting big springs on pink gear but was awesome to see and the white hootchie was lights out also , we ended up with over a dozen big springs and 5 pinks !!

That's awesome for me I picked up almost all my high slot size springs in july on pink or pink / white hoochies. Just that sort of season...

You guys ever fish with cut plugs? Wanted to give it a try. I'd probably be fishing area 29 if that makes a difference.
I frequently fish cutplugs in August and sept mostly off the Sandheads . Fish them above dummies off the riggers ( make sure you vent them and brine properly ) , or once or twice a season will mooch 4 weighted rods . Both are very successful if done right .

Some observations with regards to our fishery here and DFO and all of their BS lately:
This summer is my 33rd year in a row fishing our salt chuck here off of Vancouver. Have never missed a year fishing out here. Grew up fishing the Canadian side at the Fraser mouths and also the American side around Point Roberts, the coal docks etc.. Over all those years there's been some really good fish number years mixed in, with some days we would get into 5-15 springs between a couple of us in half a day or so. I'd say around 20 Springs in a half day would fairly exceptional even going back to the 80's..... (A whole day fishing may of course have brought more fish to the boat than that, but just saying).

After fishing today I was trying to remember our very best day fishing the summer months out front of the Fraser and I know there's been a few epic years but I've got to say today's fishing is at the top of the list. Between two of us and three rods down we were well into over 30 springs today, 3 pinks and one coho. From 6:30 AM till 12:00 PM. We stopped counting in the mid 20's and we kept getting more and more and more fish after that. Several double headers and a triple. Largest one may have been a Tyee but I weighed it after bleeding and removing the gills; 28.2 lbs after gills removed and bled.. Probably just under a Tyee but still a nice big Spring. Very thick and deep at the shoulders. Fought a great battle too. All the others were from mid teens to low 20's for size with only one being around a 12 lb'r. All caught on bait; anchovy's and herring in heads. The herring outfished the anchovy but not by too much. 8' leaders. 80-95' on the riggers running between the 280-330 contours. We were away from the big pack of boats all jammed in around the end of the jetty. There was only two other boats fishing the same contours we were tacking and we saw them get into a **** load of fish too. Only one dog fish and that was due to putting the boat in neutral as a fish was being fought and other rods were being brought in. Those dogs will come right up from the deep and hit your gear if you go slow enough for them. So don't be stuck with the thought you have to be fishing in the dense concentrated pack of boats. You don't have to. These are migrating fish that are moving through in big numbers. The Fraser has good flow, the fish will cruise right through. You don't have to be parked right at the mouth fishing shallow water to intercept them. And don't be worried about tides/currents when fishing the arms. You will get into them at all times of the day when they are coming through in good numbers. Unless the Fraser is dirt low and very warm you will see these fish all over the area and actively feeding and cruising by. Just thought I would add that info in case there were some guys looking for some tips from what I've picked up over the years fishing the sand.

Like others have said, get out there and enjoy it while it's red hot!

20190809_071613.jpg

20190809_100824.jpg

Some observations with regards to our fishery here and DFO and all of their BS lately:
This summer is my 33rd year in a row fishing our salt chuck here off of Vancouver. Have never missed a year fishing out here. Grew up fishing the Canadian side at the Fraser mouths and also the American side around Point Roberts, the coal docks etc.. Over all those years there's been some really good fish number years mixed in, with some days we would get into 5-15 springs between a couple of us in half a day or so. I'd say around 20 Springs in a half day would fairly exceptional even going back to the 80's..... (A whole day fishing may of course have brought more fish to the boat than that, but just saying).

After fishing today I was trying to remember our very best day fishing the summer months out front of the Fraser and I know there's been a few epic years but I've got to say today's fishing is at the top of the list. Between two of us and three rods down we were well into over 30 springs today, 3 pinks and one coho. From 6:30 AM till 12:00 PM. We stopped counting in the mid 20's and we kept getting more and more and more fish after that. Several double headers and a triple. Largest one may have been a Tyee but I weighed it after bleeding and removing the gills; 28.2 lbs after gills removed and bled.. Probably just under a Tyee but still a nice big Spring. Very thick and deep at the shoulders. Fought a great battle too. All the others were from mid teens to low 20's for size with only one being around a 12 lb'r. All caught on bait; anchovy's and herring in heads. The herring outfished the anchovy but not by too much. 8' leaders. 80-95' on the riggers running between the 280-330 contours. We were away from the big pack of boats all jammed in around the end of the jetty. There was only two other boats fishing the same contours we were tacking and we saw them get into a **** load of fish too. Only one dog fish and that was due to putting the boat in neutral as a fish was being fought and other rods were being brought in. Those dogs will come right up from the deep and hit your gear if you go slow enough for them. So don't be stuck with the thought you have to be fishing in the dense concentrated pack of boats. You don't have to. These are migrating fish that are moving through in big numbers. The Fraser has good flow, the fish will cruise right through. You don't have to be parked right at the mouth fishing shallow water to intercept them. And don't be worried about tides/currents when fishing the arms. You will get into them at all times of the day when they are coming through in good numbers. Unless the Fraser is dirt low and very warm you will see these fish all over the area and actively feeding and cruising by. Just thought I would add that info in case there were some guys looking for some tips from what I've picked up over the years fishing the sand.

Like others have said, get out there and enjoy it while it's red hot!

View attachment 46906

View attachment 46907

Had the same day, got out around 10 am headed to sand heads but it was rough so just decided to fish somewhere between sandheads and North arm. Could not get two rods into the water. We battle a 28 pounder for 30 mins, wrapped my nuckels and a friends. Had it to the boat about 10 times and finally landed it felt like I was gonna I’ve a hard attack.

One 28 pounder and two 15 pounders all reds.

By noon we were limited after loosing 3, at one point I looked around and the 5 boats around us all had fish on.

Got our limit and left

Had the same day, got out around 10 am headed to sand heads but it was rough so just decided to fish somewhere between sandheads and North arm. Could not get two rods into the water. We battle a 28 pounder for 30 mins, wrapped my nuckels and a friends. Had it to the boat about 10 times and finally landed it felt like I was gonna I’ve a hard attack.

One 28 pounder and two 15 pounders all reds.

By noon we were limited after loosing 3, at one point I looked around and the 5 boats around us all had fish on.

Got our limit and left
Right on! The teens fight nice but you sure know it when a nice size one takes off on you eh?! :) Any issues with seals today?
We had a seal follow us right in the morning when the first fish hit. He stole that one from us then two more were stolen by seals a few hours later. One of the bastards smashed the side of the boat. Aggressive little F'rs

Right on! The teens fight nice but you sure know it when a nice size one takes off on you eh?! :) Any issues with seals today?
We had a seal follow us right in the morning when the first fish hit. He stole that one from us then two more were stolen by seals a few hours later. One of the bastards smashed the side of the boat. Aggressive little F'rs

The bigger issue we found was netting, with the teens you can lift them up and slide them into the net. With the 28 it would just not come up and with the dirty water you could not see it.

No seals bugging us today

Last edited:
The bigger issue we found was netting, with the teens you can lift them up and slide them into the bet. With the 28 it would just not come up and with the dirty water you could not see it.

No seals bugging us today
Ya it can be a ***** for sure. We managed to release a bunch with gaff but can't do them all like that, just depends on where they are hooked. I run long leaders with bait (and spoons) so that makes for even more of a kerfuffle when one guy with the rod is leaning way back to bring the fish to the side of the boat and sometimes can't see it while the other guy deals with the fish. Fun. Then add in some wind and waves and gets more interesting lol.
Here's a funny complaint lol.. I didn't get to drink my coffee until we were done and heading in :) too much action going on! Gotta like those kinds of problems though.

Got sealed today once like 2 day ago ,,,but today got tangled to the downrigger cable and lost everything,,2 days ago i won the battle after 20 minutes and got the fish after that the seal follow me for a bit,was the best battle of the day,I was more happy that I beat the seal that got my limit,,but today I lost..have fun see you on the water

Got sealed today once like 2 day ago ,,,but today got tangled to the downrigger cable and lost everything,,2 days ago i won the battle after 20 minutes and got the fish after that the seal follow me for a bit,was the best battle of the day,I was more happy that I beat the seal that got my limit,,but today I lost..have fun see you on the water
Sucks losing the whole works! Seems like the seals get more brazen every year but I know that isn't so. They've always been ballzy pricks.

Does anyone know what time McDonald beach opens the gate in the morning?
Thanks
Fished from11-4
North Arm to Bell. Went 5-5 on springs. Largest was 20#. All on bait 55-65 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back