2019 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is thinking of hitting Ukee this summer and are waiting to for the regulations to come out you better get at it. I booked in today, got a slip for the boat, not many left at Island West. Rooms are getting pretty tough for larger groups. Really nothing left in regards to 2 room units unless you want a house, even those are getting slim. The girl with the rooms said the last couple days have been crazy, she thinks everyone was waiting for the regs to come out but like me decided the heck with it and got after booking regardless.

Best of luck if your waiting.

A fishing trip with the guys still beats working. Lots of variety around Uki even if springs outside are impacted. “Shut up and Fish”

If anyone is thinking of hitting Ukee this summer and are waiting to for the regulations to come out you better get at it. I booked in today, got a slip for the boat, not many left at Island West. Rooms are getting pretty tough for larger groups. Really nothing left in regards to 2 room units unless you want a house, even those are getting slim. The girl with the rooms said the last couple days have been crazy, she thinks everyone was waiting for the regs to come out but like me decided the heck with it and got after booking regardless.

Best of luck if your waiting.
Nice to see some optimism out there

Here's a great resource for accommodation in Ukee www.naturalelementsrentals.com FYI - lots of fish in sound smaller stuff though apparently Alley Rock has a few big ones hanging around, heard of a couple 20 plus pounders coming in lately. Lot's of herring around over the last month with some spawns, still the odd school coming into the harbor saw them bubbling out front a couple days ago.

Nice to see some optimism out there

You know guys it is what it is, it’s not about filling the freezer anymore anyways. Get a few salmon, Coho, Chinook, what ever they let a guy keep, hopefully put a couple Hali in the boat,, good enough. The thrill for me is in the battle anyways so if the good Lord willing we get a chance to do battle with a couple hogs, that’s fine by me. Few Coho to vacuum seal for suppers down the road I’ll be happy.

You know guys it is what it is, it’s not about filling the freezer anymore anyways. Get a few salmon, Coho, Chinook, what ever they let a guy keep, hopefully put a couple Hali in the boat,, good enough. The thrill for me is in the battle anyways so if the good Lord willing we get a chance to do battle with a couple hogs, that’s fine by me. Few Coho to vacuum seal for suppers down the road I’ll be happy.
Regardless of the fishing, the liquor stores, bars and restaurants remain open.

Here's a great resource for accommodation in Ukee www.naturalelementsrentals.com FYI - lots of fish in sound smaller stuff though apparently Alley Rock has a few big ones hanging around, heard of a couple 20 plus pounders coming in lately. Lot's of herring around over the last month with some spawns, still the odd school coming into the harbor saw them bubbling out front a couple days ago.

You mention alley rock, I have navionics and can't find certain names of rocks and islands, it seems maybe the locals have named them? Wondering if you have a map or website with names, like alley rock? Much appreciated. I'm new to the area and have been honing in lol or at least trying

Even if they go with Scenario A, as I understand it, you can still fish chinook on the inside. Scenario A closes down Area 123, the outside waters. Area 23 is not affected. I've got my three trips to Seabeam already booked for this summer. I'll just have to go with the flow whatever the regs turn out to be.

This is what everyone’s attitude up and down the coast should be. we don’t need to kill as many as we can all the time to have a good time on the water.

I’m sorry but I can’t find any info about option A or B and what they actually mean. CAn someone direct me to wheee I can see this info without having to read through hundreds of posts. Thanks

Getting things all lined up, hooks sharpened and ready to go! Barkley Sound is great in the early season hali is open offshore all season and the banks kick in mid July for Chinook. Looking forward to a great season Ukee is alive!! Hitting that water mid May possibly earlier, have heard great reports so far from some of the Ukee folks that are already out there. Good numbers each day that I've heard a report.

One nautical mile shoreline buffer open now 2/4 chinook not part of closure until mid July. So Barkley Sound out past Amphitrite light house for a mile offshore and all the way up coast open. So great fishing spots same as previous years then mid July the banks open for Chinook.

One nautical mile shoreline buffer open now 2/4 chinook not part of closure until mid July. So Barkley Sound out past Amphitrite light house for a mile offshore and all the way up coast open. So great fishing spots same as previous years then mid July the banks open for Chinook.
While this obviously not the ideal scenario it at least provides some opportunities to retain some Chinooks

Anyone having any luck? Heading out next week. Looking for some hali too if anyone has any pointers for this time of year would be appreciated.

While this obviously not the ideal scenario it at least provides some opportunities to retain some Chinooks
Just remember the reason we have the 1 nm zone is the DNA and Log Book data the WCFGA guides in partnership with SFI & DFO provided over past few years to DFO. They were able to review the DNA data to make a case that the impact on Fraser stocks of concern was zero...thus the opening. It was a real struggle to convince people to provide DNA as some expressed a lack of trust with what the DNA would be used for. While DNA can be your friend (in this case), it can also be your enemy...but at least we are making science-based decisions not supposition based decisions!

Just remember the reason we have the 1 nm zone is the DNA and Log Book data the WCFGA guides in partnership with SFI & DFO provided over past few years to DFO. They were able to review the DNA data to make a case that the impact on Fraser stocks of concern was zero...thus the opening. It was a real struggle to convince people to provide DNA as some expressed a lack of trust with what the DNA would be used for. While DNA can be your friend (in this case), it can also be your enemy...but at least we are making science-based decisions not supposition based decisions!
That’s right, Pat. The guides in our area recognized this several years ago and now it’s paying off for us

What’s going to happen with the SRKW closures in this area? I see that La Perouse Bank is an area they are wanting closed. Does anyone know anything about this? I wasn’t able to make it to the meeting.

There will be no management measures proposed for La Perouse other than (if approved by the Minister) implementing 400m minimum approach distance, and 1000m voluntary fishery avoidance zone. Everything is still up in the air pending the Minister making a decision....that should be another week or so. With all the Chinook Measures we are discussing the necessity for things like a Fin Fishing closure in places like Area 20...what is the point of that? Trying hard to get people around the table to see we need to toss the rec fishery a bone or 2. Time will tell. Many people worked hard to pour through the DNA we collected over past few years to help determine that small sliver of water along the coastline in Area 123 - 127 and Area 21. Guess they will have a new name for us now....."Sliver Skippers" :eek:

Over in Ukee for a week, going to head out for a fish with the kids and hoping to find the odd mussel and/or oyster, can anyone shed some light on closures as stated on fish BC app, seems like conflicting info, some parts say mussels and oysters open, whereas under mussels heading it says all closed for area 23??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back