2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in amongst the coal island regatta from 10 to noon but had nothing to show for it.

Only one piece of action. As follows
Me: April, are we close to the reef (she was cleaning the goo off the front windshield and blocking the view)
April: uhhh no.
30 seconds later both downriggers snag as the water went from 110ft to 60ft. Yes, the reef was close.

Thank GOD I didn't lose anything. Terse words were had.

Moved to Sidney spit for the next hour with only one tiny lingcod.

I was in amongst the coal island regatta from 10 to noon but had nothing to show for it.

Only one piece of action. As follows
Me: April, are we close to the reef (she was cleaning the goo off the front windshield and blocking the view)
April: uhhh no.
30 seconds later both downriggers snag as the water went from 110ft to 60ft. Yes, the reef was close.

Thank GOD I didn't lose anything. Terse words were had.

Moved to Sidney spit for the next hour with only one tiny lingcod.
If your not bumping the bottom every once in awhile this time of year your not fishing. Good job not loosing your balls.

Early in my teenage years I had a little tin boat with an 8x8 timber post across the middle seat with downrigger mounts. I would fish Coal with no GPS or sounder and manual downriggers. Eventually I got a 3" humminbird and a battery for it. I would cruise around at 60, 90, maybe 120 feet if I was feeling daring, until I ran my gear up on one of the various reefs. Needless to say I lost a lot of my dads 10lb cannonballs.

The humminbird was a real luxury. I remember fishing Coal with my dad around age 4 or 5 and he would be trying to triangulate the reefs using rockpiles, peaks of trees, mountaintops, and the "white lady" which is the white marker south of shag rock. Everybody used to lose a ton of gear there. One of the reefs (I think the one off Charmer Point) was called the christmas tree. I remember an old fishing episode featuring Tom Davis at Coal Island, I think with Gary Cooper, and the rod goes off or something to that effect and long story short they pulled up an old blue scotty handcrank rigger!

I bet theres some interesting stuff down there, but the current rips through there so fast which might make it hard for a diver. Sorry for rambling lol

Tried fishing Halibut off the backside of Sidney Island yesterday,to no avail. Spent a very quiet five hours waiting for some action. The closest thing to excitement was the one and only dog fish that showed up. Turned into a beautiful day weather wise, so that was of some consolation.

Fished Moresby from 9 - 12:30 today. Released one clipped Spring off of Fairfax that was just under. Beauty day. Did have an interesting start to the day. When we first dropped in, I threw my flasher and spoon in to begin fishing but had neglected the critical step of attaching the flasher to my line. Whoops. Watched it slowly drift to the bottom. Must have had a few too many green beer last night.

There was one guy fishing for hali off of Moresby. First time I had seen that and interested to know if others have had success for hali there?

Fished Moresby from 9 - 12:30 today. Released one clipped Spring off of Fairfax that was just under. Beauty day. Did have an interesting start to the day. When we first dropped in, I threw my flasher and spoon in to begin fishing but had neglected the critical step of attaching the flasher to my line. Whoops. Watched it slowly drift to the bottom. Must have had a few too many green beer last night.

There was one guy fishing for hali off of Moresby. First time I had seen that and interested to know if others have had success for hali there?
I've seen a guy out there too. Some good looking spots on the charts that I might try this year.
When I first joined there was a report of a Hali off the point

Spent 6 or 7 hours on anchor today for halibut around Zero Rock for the Sidney Anglers Dallas Stober hali derby. Nothing but dogfish! Talked to a few other boats and nobody else seemed to catch anything either. Didnt go to the weigh in so I cant say for sure. Thought I might have seen your boat off in the distance @carpeweekend but I guess not!

Beautiful day today!!!!

March 16th marks the start of 2019 prawning for me.

Went out and checked traps we dropped yesterday, me and a buddy got our 200 each.

For those that choose to cruise and booze policia was out in full force today making there presence known in Saanich inlet.

Jigging or trolling? Looking for somewhere I can fish from a 14' tin boat so options are limited
Coal is probably still your best bet. With a 14' boat you can fish almost all of Sidney area most days :) Seen a few tinners make the trek to Fairfax too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back