2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So....what happened to the inshore fish? I haven’t heard anyone say they slayed it inside all summer. I mean we’ve had years up there when you’d limit out mid July to mid Aug in a couple of hours. Not one year many years. (Although it does sound like the gill-net fleet got their share). Any data on returns to Conuma yet?

I don't suppose the large number of Open New Pen Fish Farms in the general area could be having an impact on what has been in the past one of the best Chinook fishing areas on the West Coast.
Limited Commercial North Coast Troll fishing and no doubt other factors, has resulted in one of the best Chinook Sport Fishing EVER from Victoria to Banfield !
AND bye the way, a very limited number of Fish Farms in those areas!
fish farms (2).jpg

I don't suppose the large number of Open New Pen Fish Farms in the general area could be having an impact on what has been in the past one of the best Chinook fishing areas on the West Coast.
Limited Commercial North Coast Troll fishing and no doubt other factors, has resulted in one of the best Chinook Sport Fishing EVER from Victoria to Banfield !
AND bye the way, a very limited number of Fish Farms in those areas!
View attachment 47491

How do you explain the lights out hot fishing that I (probably others) had inshore Nootka 3rd week in July, I'd say it was best I've seen in many yrs.
Yes Bamfield was lights out good just last weekend...dont think anyone really knows whats going on...I sure cant explain it

Well the whales tail has been the best but there have been days when it hasn`t been so good-on off days go to the 330 contour-has been hot at 240 on the rigger or better. Within the last 2 weeks the Potato has produced at about 240 on the rigger and I have heard the T has been good about 4 days ago but that is from a fellow guide-I haven`t done it. A suggestion is go for the halibut the drop a chovy as deep as you are comfortable with and I think you will surprise yourself then work an enlarging pattern till you find them. Good luck with the weather-I didn`t see any in the rivers on my slow crawl out the Tahsis road with the boat
Thanks Spring Fever. That’s helpful. I am not familiar with the “Potato”. Where abouts is that? Do you have GPS coordinates for it ?

Another reminder that this is a fishing reports section. There is an opportunity to discuss fish farms in the Conservation Forum.

How do you explain the lights out hot fishing that I (probably others) had inshore Nootka 3rd week in July, I'd say it was best I've seen in many yrs.
Yes Bamfield was lights out good just last weekend...dont think anyone really knows whats going on...I sure cant explain it
Bamfield has been lights out pretty much all summer.

Ya, I was there July 1-16 two trips with a couple of days off in the middle of those dates. The first week of July was very slow for us. We only fished inside due to motor issues. One fish over 4 days (released). Now we didn't cover a ton of ground, but, did the usual spots; Camel, Hoiss, Tahsis Inlet, Log Dump, Back Yard et al. One fish that trip. Second trip was better as we figured out on the second to last day where the fish were. And there were plenty in that one spot. During the second trip we hit all the usual spots with no luck; Maquinna, Wash, Beano and points in between weren't producing. I'm sure some guys caught some fish, but, I assure you based on previous year comparisons, the place was slow. The only area that worked that trip was Escalante. Over a couple of days we almost got our limits there. There were fish around I'm sure always, but not in the usual abundance. You had to chase them. I think it was a slow year. Still an awesome place to go though. The fish are a bonus.

I wonder what that guy does with that boat now lol.

Word was drunk...operator found passed out on the floor of boat next morning by on site crew.
You can see in 1 of pictures where he hit the windshield
Wow. That would hurt. There was a similar accident with a Grady last year at San Carlos. For such a small area it sure has some serious accidents. That’ll attract the RCMP to step up checks.

Ummm... No-Not Even Close.

There was a flurry mid July and that's all she wrote.

My August report says 3 long hard days not one landing net seen anywhere and maybe 2 Spring Salmon in the cleaning shack at Moutcha-it was dead.

Totally agree, my first and probably last Nootka trip mid July produced a total of zero, nada, zilch springs in 4 days and $2,500 at Critter and Moutcha, saw some nice fish at the tables, but many, many like us brought home nothing, saw almost no nets scooping fish. Yes, the scenery was nice, similar to many other Sounds,
heavily forested hills and clear cuts, not exactly pristine. The most disappointing fishing trip ever.

Totally agree, my first and probably last Nootka trip mid July produced a total of zero, nada, zilch springs in 4 days and $2,500 at Critter and Moutcha, saw some nice fish at the tables, but many, many like us brought home nothing, saw almost no nets scooping fish. Yes, the scenery was nice, similar to many other Sounds,
heavily forested hills and clear cuts, not exactly pristine. The most disappointing fishing trip ever.

I certainly don't dispute your experience, and we are in Easperanza not Nootka, but there was superb fishing here in nearshore areas leass than 20 minute runs from the lodge from Mid June to the end of July, not just a few flurries. From mid july we also had the offshore areas open, on a calm day can get out there in 35 minutes or so, there was also some excellent fishing out there. July 16th I went out, we had spring limits before noon for 5 people just past the potato. Esperanza inlet itself was poor all season long And continues to be. Perhaps inside Nootka was the same.

I certainly don't dispute your experience, and we are in Easperanza not Nootka, but there was superb fishing here in nearshore areas leass than 20 minute runs from the lodge from Mid June to the end of July, not just a few flurries. From mid july we also had the offshore areas open, on a calm day can get out there in 35 minutes or so, there was also some excellent fishing out there. July 16th I went out, we had spring limits before noon for 5 people just past the potato. Esperanza inlet itself was poor all season long And continues to be. Perhaps inside Nootka was the same.

I thought offshore was closed from July 16th to July 31st, and reopened again Aug. 1? is that correct.? DAJ

Offshore opened July 15 2 chinook per day with an 80cm max size until August 1 , then 2 per day no max size limit.
I agree with PEF assessment as I was in esperanza all summer-late june early july I made a few runs down to Nootka (wx in Esperanza) and did ok at Beano,macquinna ,wash and Burwood . Aug was another thing altogether. Made guiding more a job of managing expectation and getting fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back