2019 Barkley Sound Chinook

Snip20181221_4.png

Some interesting data showing where and when Chinook are caught. Obviously some of the results are being influenced by strong local fisheries - Barkley Sound and Nootka being standouts. Both have hatchery Chinook programs.

Perhaps poor ocean survival is pushing the trend toward 3 yr olds. Fish that stay out 4 -5 yrs have higher mortality rates and therefore the 3yr old gene is becoming more dominant.

Perhaps poor ocean survival is pushing the trend toward 3 yr olds. Fish that stay out 4 -5 yrs have higher mortality rates and therefore the 3yr old gene is becoming more dominant.
It’s definitely a trend. Barkley used to have lots of 5 year olds return. I remember years where the average was mid 20’s. They are averaging 15 pounds now. I used to think that it had something to do with everyone bonking the big ones and letting the teeners go or maybe the bigger ones are easier for prey to catch. One things for sure....I won’t hold my breath waiting for fisheries to figure the problem out lol.

View attachment 41992

Some interesting data showing where and when Chinook are caught. Obviously some of the results are being influenced by strong local fisheries - Barkley Sound and Nootka being standouts. Both have hatchery Chinook programs.

Is that data by CWT? Creel Survey? or some model of all of the above?

We only turned in six fish this year , 5 were from Washington state. Actually the canadain fish was Robertson creek and had to go to Winterharbour

We only turned in six fish this year , 5 were from Washington state. Actually the canadain fish was Robertson creek and had to go to Winterharbour
Good on you for turning in your heads. Many people don't take the time, but it is not only interesting to know where your fish came from, but also helps with future management decisions. A good example being when we sit down to look at Management options for Critical Habitat areas for SRKW, a big consideration will be to develop fishing plans that help get specific stocks of chinook known to be important to SRKW into areas where the whales actually forage. In the absence of reliable data, we usually end up with broad-based plans (restrictions) rather than more specific area and timing based on data. The data is a 2 edged sword however - sometimes it helps, but other times it hurts. But I would rather see management decisions based on actual data knowing that the actions taken actually will result in outcomes for specific weak stock runs.

Good on you for turning in your heads. Many people don't take the time, but it is not only interesting to know where your fish came from, but also helps with future management decisions. A good example being when we sit down to look at Management options for Critical Habitat areas for SRKW, a big consideration will be to develop fishing plans that help get specific stocks of chinook known to be important to SRKW into areas where the whales actually forage. In the absence of reliable data, we usually end up with broad-based plans (restrictions) rather than more specific area and timing based on data. The data is a 2 edged sword however - sometimes it helps, but other times it hurts. But I would rather see management decisions based on actual data knowing that the actions taken actually will result in outcomes for specific weak stock runs.
I agree about the data being a double edged sword but is necessary for proper management. Our area has been under strict reporting and monitoring for many years with the spectre of complete inshore shutdowns instead we our closures are based on run timing which gives us at least some good opportunities

Back