Maybe it IS good for the sport... if DFO sees the picture (which they won’t) they would be like,
“Oh wow! Look at all those fish! There must be a surplus of them. Maybe we should help out those really nice and handsome sport fishers and cut all restrictions on salmon and halibut!”
Edit: they would likely also mention how strong and smart we are.
Problem is that there isn’t a surplus of Chinook salmon and of the 3 groups that fish for them we are the easiest for DFO to throw to the Wolves. DFO has failed miserably and now that the heat is on them they are going to sell us out.

Cleaned up the last couple of posts as this is once again completely off topic. Members posting pics of fishing is what this site is supposed to be all about...sharing peoples enjoyment of an activity that should be celebrated not frowned upon. As for the damage caused by these types of photos being posted, I would argue that the groups trying to close down recreational fishing have more than enough ammunition to support their point of view. If anything we should be using photos of families and friends sharing the fishing experience to support our cause and promote a healthy activity in a time when most of our youth are too busy staring at the various screens that pervade their lives.

Well said, sorry I removed photos etc but they seemed to be a negative thing for some. If any members are heading this way I would be happy to share intel with fello SFBC anglers upon request. I'm a firm believer in sharing photos with happy people is not a negative thing. Hiding out just shows the other side they have you on your heels.

Cheers,
UC

My Ukee season is over. Don't know how many fish I caught, but it was a lot. Don't know how many I kept, but it is enough. We got three 100-114 cm halis and some chickens on the troll on uv white glow spackle turds at big bank; didn't need to anchor on this trip. Fog sucked, just ask the guy with radar (barely moving) that got smashed by the guy without (running fast and blind). Criminal. Good luck to all the rest of the way. Thanks to those that post on this thread and help out the amateurs.
I hope to be back next year. Fingers crossed that someone smarter than me can persuade DFO that the whale saviours are full of **** and they know it.

I like the photos, shows there are fish out there. As for guides using this site for free advertising, I think we all know that the guides on this site all give back a lot of great info so should be given some slack. When ever someone asks about guides I always tell them about the guides on this site as all good guys that get fish and give back great info.

Well said, sorry I removed photos etc but they seemed to be a negative thing for some. If any members are heading this way I would be happy to share intel with fello SFBC anglers upon request. I'm a firm believer in sharing photos with happy people is not a negative thing. Hiding out just shows the other side they have you on your heels.

Cheers,
UC
Ucluelet Charters, please don't let one negative post discourage you from posting pictures of your catch! I would say the majority of us look forward to reading your posts and looking at the pictures.
I know if I ever go to Ucluelet to go fishing I will look you up.

Ucluelet Charters, please don't let one negative post discourage you from posting pictures of your catch! I would say the majority of us look forward to reading your posts and looking at the pictures.
I know if I ever go to Ucluelet to go fishing I will look you up.
I totally agree. Ucluelet charters is a great company and are always willing to share info. Please don’t stop sharing we all learn from your expertise and appreciate all you share.

Seems things are warming up close to home. Took a buddy and the father in-law (visiting from Brazil) out last night between 5 and 7pm. Out between the Light House and Black Rock Resort. Within 15 minutes got into what may have been 25 or 30 lbs spring. We let pops grab the rod as he's never caught a salmon before. He fought it hard and long and it jumped a couple times right at the boat for the old man to have a good look. First net attempt failed then it screamed back out 100 ft then around the other side of the boat. Second attempt to net it also failed and the bugger popped the hook. 30 minutes later we got a triple header with only one in the boat. Then a couple more lost and one final Spring for the old man to end the evening. 7 fish on 2 in the boat. Lots of fun and great first Salmon battle for the father in-law.

We were in 110 to 130 ft of water. Balls down 65-70ft with dummy flashers. Anchovy with teaser head (no flasher on lines) 5ft above ball and about 20 ft back from clip. 10 ft above the Ancovies we had white glow hoochies (no flasher on lines) about 20 ft back from the clip.

20180822_194701.jpg

Last edited:
We were in 110 to 130 ft of water. Balls down 65-70ft with dumbie flashers. Anchovy with teaser head (no flasher on lines) 5ft above ball and about 20 ft back from clip. 10 ft above the Ancovies we had white glow hoochies (no flasher on lines) about 20 ft back from the clip.
Thanks for the update... sounds like you had a blast! Curious as to the colours of your dummy flashers?

Thanks for the update... sounds like you had a blast! Curious as to the colours of your dummy flashers?

The dummy flashers are a green checker pattern. Got them at Cap n Hook. I tried this a while back and still caught fish so haven't gone back to having them on the line. I just love the fight without the flasher. Way better feel. I've also seen video of larger springs missing the bait because it was moving so much from the flasher.

1:40 and 2:40 in this video.

Last edited:
Seems things are warming up close to home. Took a buddy and the father in-law (visiting from Brazil) out last night between 5 and 7pm. Out between the Light House and Black Rock Resort. Within 15 minutes got into what may have been 25 or 30 lbs spring. We let pops grab the rod as he's never caught a salmon before. He fought it hard and long and it jumped a couple times right at the boat for the old man to have a good look. First net attempt failed then it screamed back out 100 ft then around the other side of the boat. Second attempt to net it also failed and the bugger popped the hook. 30 minutes later we got a triple header with only one in the boat. Then a couple more lost and one final Spring for the old man to end the evening. 7 fish on 2 in the boat. Lots of fun and great first Salmon battle for the father in-law.

We were in 110 to 130 ft of water. Balls down 65-70ft with dummy flashers. Anchovy with teaser head (no flasher on lines) 5ft above ball and about 20 ft back from clip. 10 ft above the Ancovies we had white glow hoochies (no flasher on lines) about 20 ft back from the clip.

View attachment 39773

Thanks for posting. Did you get hits on the hoochies? Most would suggest that they need a flasher to get action. But as Stormtrooper mentioned, there is no "right" way to fish. If it was me, I'd run a spoon below and a bait above, so I can change the bait without clearing the other rod.

Thanks for posting. Did you get hits on the hoochies? Most would suggest that they need a flasher to get action. But as Stormtrooper mentioned, there is no "right" way to fish. If it was me, I'd run a spoon below and a bait above, so I can change the bait without clearing the other rod.

Yes the hoochies were getting hit too. Actually the big one we lost was on the hoochie. Good point about running the bait on top! Less work I need to do the better.

View attachment 39773

Great job guys, sounds like a blast. Best way to spend two hours!
My question about your setup is, if you don’t run a flasher on your hoochie, were you using jugheads to give it the action?
Another question, how much of a leader do you put on your dummy flashers, or do you use the agitators?
Cheers!
Ps. cool boat.

Great job guys, sounds like a blast. Best way to spend two hours!
My question about your setup is, if you don’t run a flasher on your hoochie, were you using jugheads to give it the action?
Another question, how much of a leader do you put on your dummy flashers, or do you use the agitators?
Cheers!
Ps. cool boat.

Thanks man. She's a rebuilt 23ft 1971 Glasply with a 5.7 Volvo Penta duo prop.

The hoochies are plain. No plastic heads. To my surprise I've done well this way. They've out performed spoons at times. I have the flashers on 5 or 6 ft leaders off the ball.

Keep in mind I'm no expert, but this works for me.

wind.jpg

wind1.jpg

We managed to get two nice springs in the boat today. two more broke off at the boat, and we lost three that just pulled loose or jumped and threw the hook We were fishing between the lighthouse and red can, in and out of the fog. They were all big strong fighters. Coho killers and green flashers at 65'.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 39848

View attachment 39849

We managed to get two nice springs in the boat today. two more broke off at the boat, and we lost three that just pulled loose or jumped and threw the hook We were fishing between the lighthouse and red can, in and out of the fog. They were all big strong fighters. Coho killers and green flashers at 65'.

Nice fish. We ran past there 3 days in a row last week. Does your fish club look like this?

Attachments

• club.png
    club.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 55
Back