We are normal mortals too English. We are just stubborn or patient enough to stay in one spot and wait for the chances the day eventually will present...that is all.
Profisher when you stay in one spot are the fish holding and you are waiting for them to bite again or are you waiting for fish to come by? It seems if one keeps moving your chances of hitting those 2 variables is less.

Went out from Cheanuh at Fist light today. Couldn’t make it out far because it was too rough for my boat but after battling the currents and chop in the bay for an hour I was able to get out to the mouth and picked up a 4lb hatchery coho. Anchovy at 60’ in about 350 of water. Didn’t stay much longer. A few shakers as well.

I didn’t see any other action but I was away from the pack.

Profisher when you stay in one spot are the fish holding and you are waiting for them to bite again or are you waiting for fish to come by? It seems if one keeps moving your chances of hitting those 2 variables is less.
Stick and stay make it pay! We all know the fishy spots you just have to be there when the bite goes off. Sometimes it happens and sometimes the bite is somewhere else but if you are trolling in no mans land in between when the bite is on you are going to miss it. Not to say you won’t scrape one up anywhere at anytime In Sooke there is a ton of fish in the sea but I find on the days I’m inpatient I never do as well. If you want to move just pick your gear up and go. I have missed all to many bites trolling between Muir and otter or Otter and possession. Sure we have caught fish but not as consistent as the guys I know who stick it out.

Jama has it kinda right..it isn't like I never move but...being out daily is an advantage, If I start at a spot and the bite goes off or it doesn't based on yesterdays bite...then I may just fish from Otter or Muir To Sheringham (not this year) during what would be a dead time. If I'm at Muir and the bite is done and I know that in an hour there should be a bite at Sheringham and the current is ebbing I will troll up as I know I will arrive with time to spare and save fuel. If nothing happens at Muir and I need to maximize my rod time (no fish in the boat yet) I may pick up and quickly run to Sheringham to ensure I don't miss that bite. This year I have moved once when I was 5 hours into an Otter Point trip and notta. (tide had changed and were well into the ebb) I figured that I might as well finish off the last hour at Possession because I had to go that way to go home anyway. It paid off with a 17 pound spring in the last 30 mins. Another point for English: Roland all us (gods as you like to say) have trips that are very similar to yours. We to very often have 5 quiet hours with no rod action out of a 6 hour trip. The bites only last 15 to 45 minutes most of the time when fishing springs. Outside of those bites its one here one there for the lucky. So the point is....it is where and what you are doing during that critical time. You are either on the spot waiting with gear working properly....or as was commented above...left the spot and in no mans land while fish are being caught where you left. Another tip....when you are on a non bite period and you are looking to be that lucky angler thas hooks up with the one here one there fish. You can increase your odds by being in a place where it is easy to read where the fish will be holding. This is why Sheringham is one of my favorite place to fish on a long ebb. You can just pound the ebb break coming off the rock over and over again...knowing that the fish are there and if one decides to feed outside of a bite period your gear will be there ready for it.

Last edited:
Friday went 3 for 5 on springs 10, 16, 18, lost two. Trap and Beechy. Saturday went 1 for 3, 10lb spring, lost two others. Today 0 for 1, a few shakers. Decided to go for coho got 3 hatchery 6, 8 and 11lbs. We released a couple bigger wilds probably 14 lb range. Off Beechy head 450-530ft water mark. Weather was great, company was great. Overall 8/10 weekend.

No springs today but got into about 10 coho in a 45 minute period off secretary. Kept 4 hatchery all around 7-8lbs! Plastic, spoons and bait all worked.

Fished Pedder bay this morning, had the lines in the water just after 6 am, lots of bait showing on the sounder. Picked up a shaker right away and released it, rebaited right away with an extra large anchovy. Minutes later had a great hit and after a great fight netted a nice Chinook just under 20lbs. No **** show like last weekend, which was nice. Put the line down again and about 10 mins later another nice hit and picked up a smaller spring that I tried to revive but he was bleeding too much so I decided to keep him. So I packed up and headed home, at the dock by just after 7 am. It was nice to be coming in with my 2 fish as other boats were just heading out. lol. Both fish were on extra large anchovy, green glow teaser head, and 60 feet on the rigger.

After a long work day on Sunday decided to sleep in today didn’t hit the water until 1:00pm.

Started off between trap and Beechey in 450’ of water. With four rods in at 65’ 85’ 95’ 115’.
65’ and 95’ using Coho killer, 85’ and 115’ running anchovies. It was all quiet until 2:10. Then it was nonstop action until about 3pm.

Total damage 1 spring 3 hatch hos. Lost track on how many wild hos we’ve released (also released 3 Bocaccio rockfish)

Oh and this is what happened to one of the lure after going through a number of #10+ Wild hos
image.jpg

Last edited:
9224732B-2006-4F3D-9FF1-3448EB01B6C3.jpeg By the way. I took a shot of the sounder screen wondering what these scattered black marks are between 300-400’.

Out solo yesterday late morning. Decided on Church Rock during the end of the flood and hooked 2 nice Chinookies. One was maybe low 20's and released to feed the whales, the second a teener that got off as I was trying to take some photo shots in the water. Didn't want to keep it anyway. Great fun solo, and the best part was that I had the place almost to myself while Beachey Head looked like a zoo! But what I was really after was halibut once the tides slowed down and that was again a big skunk. Can't believe the lack of halibut in the strait this year.
5a.jpg

Tried the night bite at the Trap yesterday. Just a few shakers. Then trolled to the Head and 10 minutes after sunset had a screamer. Almost spooled me, so I was surprised that when I landed the fish it was only a 22 lbs Spring. Last 3 fish I have caught all on large Anchovies. This fish was a long and skinny hatchery fish.

Out yesterday first light at Church. Started out with a whale right beside the boat. Didn't notice in the half light till I was setting gear and he surfaced right next to the rigger. Looked like a Minke more than a humpback but could be wrong. After a few shakers and a wild coho finally picked up a nice hatchery. Then after missing several good bites got a nice spring on only to have a Sea Lion notice immediately and start a belign towards us. Tried to hand line the last few feet as I wasn't making fast enough headway with the rod. That resulted in line slicing my fingers, and right as I got the spring to the boat the Sea Lion won, spooled my reel and took my flasher. As if to mock us after, the Sea Lion played with his meal. Flipping it in the air and tearing it to pieces. That was it for the day. All fish on small anchovie.

After a long work day on Sunday decided to sleep in today didn’t hit the water until 1:00pm.
Nice day I’ve been going out after work any advice for evening fishing
Started off between trap and Beechey in 450’ of water. With four rods in at 65’ 85’ 95’ 115’.
65’ and 95’ using Coho killer, 85’ and 115’ running anchovies. It was all quiet until 2:10. Then it was nonstop action until about 3pm.

Total damage 1 spring 3 hatch hos. Lost track on how many wild hos we’ve released (also released 3 Bocaccio rockfish)

Oh and this is what happened to one of the lure after going through a number of #10+ Wild hos
View attachment 40038

Out solo yesterday late morning. Decided on Church Rock during the end of the flood and hooked 2 nice Chinookies. One was maybe low 20's and released to feed the whales, the second a teener that got off as I was trying to take some photo shots in the water. Didn't want to keep it anyway. Great fun solo, and the best part was that I had the place almost to myself while Beachey Head looked like a zoo! But what I was really after was halibut once the tides slowed down and that was again a big skunk. Can't believe the lack of halibut in the strait this year.
View attachment 40046
Maybe the lack of halibut is why the quota has gone down?

If that was a coast wide observation I would agree. But westcoast guides are still bragging with easy limits!

Out yesterday first light at Church. Started out with a whale right beside the boat. Didn't notice in the half light till I was setting gear and he surfaced right next to the rigger. Looked like a Minke more than a humpback but could be wrong. After a few shakers and a wild coho finally picked up a nice hatchery. Then after missing several good bites got a nice spring on only to have a Sea Lion notice immediately and start a belign towards us. Tried to hand line the last few feet as I wasn't making fast enough headway with the rod. That resulted in line slicing my fingers, and right as I got the spring to the boat the Sea Lion won, spooled my reel and took my flasher. As if to mock us after, the Sea Lion played with his meal. Flipping it in the air and tearing it to pieces. That was it for the day. All fish on small anchovie.
Prick

Back