Fished Pedder Bay again today. Not even a nibble. A few boats around but didn't see much action. Gonna have to move a little further up the coast. Beautiful day on the water.

We got our 4 springs today and let a couple go...the last one was a double and we only needed one more to limit out. I have also seen a few nice coho around the past 2-3 days and released a 12 pound beauty yesterday that put up a great battle. Funny thing I have never foul hooked so many springs as I have the past 3 days...3 in one day yesterday...one in the side of the belly. Obviously they are all swiping at the bait but missing it for some reason with frequency. Maybe its the smoke. lol As far as the boundry line debate...I have only noticed a couple of boats (one guided) who are consistently going up well over the line and not because they couldn't turn around in the crowd. But not going to concern myself as I know their boats have probably been photographed more than once with people with cell phones and DFO has those. Only a matter of time. I just hope it doesn't become ammo for the whale groups wanting to shut us completely down.

Had a fun day out with Bagjaun trolling bait around possession and secretary island. Seemed like a couple bites today 2-3pm and 4-5pm. We did pretty good and had a couple screamers that didn't stick. Also had a 10 lb Coho released. Thanks buddy

Attachments

• IMG_1092.JPG
    IMG_1092.JPG
    942 KB · Views: 92
Fished Pedder Bay again today. Not even a nibble. A few boats around but didn't see much action. Gonna have to move a little further up the coast. Beautiful day on the water.
The bite been in the the early morning or late evening for Pedder Bay

Fished Pedder Bay this morning, started fishing at just after 6 am and had the first fish in the boat by 6:15, an 8 lb spring. Anchovy in a bloody nose teaser head, 65 feet on the rigger. Released a nice coho about an hour after that, it buggered up my leader so I threw on a green skinny G spoon while I went about setting up a new teaser head. Had the skinny G in the water maybe 5 mins and had strong hit (again at 65 feet) which popped the pin. I was fishing solo and the wind had picked up a bit so it turned into a total clown show. I got the fish next to the boat and made my first attempt to net it, the fish took off again and as I was pulling the net back in the basket portion of the net slid off the end of the handle. It is a Gibbs net and a very poor design in that the net can slide all the way off the end of the handle couple that with a defective pin. So as my fish takes another run I am standing there watching the basket portion of the net sink to the bottom. Now WTF do I do, I have a backup net but it was stored away and folded up. I figured I would just gaff it and haul it in, I get the fish close to the boat and try a one-handed gaff job. As I am swinging the gaff to hook the salmon the fish turns sideways and I end up smashing it on the top of the head with the gaff. FCK me I am doing everything in my power to lose this fish, I put the rod down quickly hand line the fish close to the boat and gaff it correctly and bring in a nice 14lb spring. There was another boat nearby watching the whole **** show and they were probably pissing their pants laughing. A memorable day none the less. So in light of this can anyone recommend a good quality net, so I can avoid this happening in the future.

Fished the Trap today form 6-11 and got 4 springs all 10-12lbs. All on small bait and all away from the crowds in about 270ft of water. Didn't see anything else caught but there was a guy cleaning one at the dock that may have been around 20lbs

Trolled from trap to Sooke Harbour front at 86 and 76’ in 130’ water. From 6-10:40 not a nibble and haven’t seen anyone netting either. Now starting trill back to trap.

Fish the trap again today and one about 20 and a clipped small one. Hit a ton of small ones today and again got the big one in 300ft of water away from the pack. Need to also say sorry to the guys we chopped off today, My buddy was having a tough time steering at the Head in all that current and made a bad choice in cutting in front of you and messed all your gear up. Thanks for not cutting all my gear off and throwing it back to us.

After 10:30 trolled trap to Beecher then becher bay ending the day at 4 pm. After 19 nm and 10 hrs only a big fat skunk for the day’s work.

index.php

Last edited:
Oh while trolling in 200-350’ of water did see a lot of marks down deep around 180-220’. Are those marks salmon? Should I have dropped down to that depth or still just troll the top water?

Thank you

Worked the Head and the Trap from 6 to 1 in the wind, slop and weeds 3 hits one stuck, 10 pound spring. Did see a battle royal between two vessels off the trap, cannon fire? May have been roman candles.

A couple of 10 pound springs and a sockeye for me today. Had a couple of other good hits. Our first fish was down at 80 ft earlier on then then next at 50 ft mid morning and then the fish that hit was at 25 ft in 50 ft of water on the flood. Didn't see much going on up until 2pm when we left...probably the full moon or maybe some whales went by early in the morning we weren't aware of.

Fished yesterday, Beechy Head and Trap with Pretty Boyd Floyd. We went 3 for 3, 12, 14 and 16 lbs. fished from 6am - Noon. most action was between 40-70 ft. All on Anchovy. We got 1 at Beechy and 2 in the trap.

Finished up my week off by fishing Fri, Sat, Sun.
Friday with my kids - Kept 2, lost 3
Saturday with Family from California - Kept 3, lost 2
Sunday with buddy - Kept 1, lost 1

Tides got faster each day and fishing got slower each day.

What's with all the small fish this August? 6-15lb seems to be the standard with lots of 10lb fish.
All mature and some getting colored.

Tips

Fished Pedder Bay this morning, started fishing at just after 6 am and had the first fish in the boat by 6:15, an 8 lb spring. Anchovy in a bloody nose teaser head, 65 feet on the rigger. Released a nice coho about an hour after that, it buggered up my leader so I threw on a green skinny G spoon while I went about setting up a new teaser head. Had the skinny G in the water maybe 5 mins and had strong hit (again at 65 feet) which popped the pin. I was fishing solo and the wind had picked up a bit so it turned into a total clown show. I got the fish next to the boat and made my first attempt to net it, the fish took off again and as I was pulling the net back in the basket portion of the net slid off the end of the handle. It is a Gibbs net and a very poor design in that the net can slide all the way off the end of the handle couple that with a defective pin. So as my fish takes another run I am standing there watching the basket portion of the net sink to the bottom. Now WTF do I do, I have a backup net but it was stored away and folded up. I figured I would just gaff it and haul it in, I get the fish close to the boat and try a one-handed gaff job. As I am swinging the gaff to hook the salmon the fish turns sideways and I end up smashing it on the top of the head with the gaff. FCK me I am doing everything in my power to lose this fish, I put the rod down quickly hand line the fish close to the boat and gaff it correctly and bring in a nice 14lb spring. There was another boat nearby watching the whole **** show and they were probably pissing their pants laughing. A memorable day none the less. So in light of this can anyone recommend a good quality net, so I can avoid this happening in the future.

I watched this with my son, it was awesome. Too windy to leave the bay, and nothing was happening for hours so the show was a good way to fill some time.
We were glad you got the fish in the end!

Fished from 10:30 to 3:30. Caught one small hatchery spring. But I also was the guy who dropped his handheld VHF radio into the water. Fishing alone so by the time I wheeled around I lost sight of it. It’s a floating Standard Horizon HX850S and it was on. If anybody finds it I’d be grateful for its return.

Last edited:
Back