2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Spent the last 9 days at the cabin. Targeted springs and were not disappointed. Managed a couple of rockfish when we went to 7 mile for Hali. No coho for us out there and just the one legal hali.
Springs took anchovies, spoons, and both white (with a green streak) and a semi transparent hoochi equally well between 35 and 75feet. Only hooked into shakers when we chased fish on the sounder at 120'. Pill, Blood bay, Hoffart to Diplock, and the wall were all good to us.

RCMP made an arrest on the case of our stolen trailer and camper. Seeing as how I hope the guy rots in hell I dont mind sharing his name, Craig Hannon is the perpetrator, apparently this is the second time he has been arrested for this exact crime.

Sounds like this is this guys main way of making a living for a while, and he didnt spend enough time in the clink since hes back at it. From 2015:

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/...ring-toll-hits-400-000-two-arrested-1.1936618

Fished Pill this morning and nothing maybe 6 boats did not see a net went to Swale lots of shakers then Meares and 1 15 lb. really slow fishing fished all day.

Where did all the fish go. Fished Swale, Harbour enterance, Pill, Lone Tree home first day all year skunked. See one fish he tying netted in two days.

I'm thinking about heading to Barkley for the day tomorrow from Port.
It was very good last weekend; how is it now?

3 springs yesterday at whittlestone.. the feed is tiny, break out the skinny g. even a wee g. lots of bait around. 37' deep 30' back.

oh, and my crew and i got 2nd place in the bam tuna shoot out. we went out to 6000' deep approx 78 miles from beale, trolled out to 85 mile..
total miles travelled =209 burned 375litres. cant wait til next year.

I’ll second the seals 72 fisherman 2 comment. Could not believe how many seals throughout the inlet. Pill had a pile and they were eating one salmon after the another. Seen seals all the way through the Inlet all eating salmon. Seen them right at the boat launch toosing one salmon after another. Better stop recreational fishing to make sure the Seals get their feed! Did see 6 or 7 Orcas heading up the channel out front of harbour entrance. First time in years seen Orcas in the Sound. Feel that the Seals have a much bigger effect on the Salmon then Recreational fishers.

I’ll second the seals 72 fisherman 2 comment. Could not believe how many seals throughout the inlet. Pill had a pile and they were eating one salmon after the another. Seen seals all the way through the Inlet all eating salmon. Seen them right at the boat launch toosing one salmon after another. Better stop recreational fishing to make sure the Seals get their feed! Did see 6 or 7 Orcas heading up the channel out front of harbour entrance. First time in years seen Orcas in the Sound. Feel that the Seals have a much bigger effect on the Salmon then Recreational fishers.
mid sept last year was the same,lots of sealions too

Back