I got many hits at Otter Point and Muir yesterday afternoon/night. But almost nothing did stick. Often the line got pulled off the clip but then nothing on. I lost a spring in the teens and released another shaker. I ended my day with a 8 lbs hatchery spring in the boat. I fished with anchovy and spoon. Almost all action was on spoon at 80ft.

Started 7:30 at the trap (Missed the early bite). Hit 4 pinks right away but only one in the boat. Then the killers whales showed up so I moved into deep water and joined the humpbacks. Nothing. I spent the next 4 hours trolling between the Trap and Head trying all depths. Had only one small hit the rest of the day. Nice day, flood tide but very little fish for this time of year.

Reactions: LMC
fished aldridge to Beechy Head 7:00-12. Several bites early close in but nothing stuck. Double header at 8:30, my buddy lost his but I got 22.5 white spring after long battle. Whales came by around 9 then not another bite. Heard several people with fish at dock getting their fish early 5-8.

Got one first pass this morning probably before 5:00. Was still pretty dark could barely see the rod going off. 64' bloody nose teaser head. Flat like a mirror first thing couple pinks released as well. had to work off water by 7

What's the visibility like with the smoke issue? I can see a bit of the ocean (Bedford islands) from a distance from my place and it doesn't look too good visibility wise. Itching to go out this morning but hate fishing when I can't see.

That is an epic day, for sure! Good work. Did you get the halibut while trolling for salmon? I imagine a halibut that size on a salmon rod would be a battle not soon forgotten.

Was fishing Otter/Muir yesterday afternoon again. Many boats around and flat water. Fish was there too. Lost one right away after I got there at 5pm. Later I got four more. Two were small with < 6 lbs so I released then. So I finished my day at 8pm with a 16 lbs spring and a 8 lbs white.
Fished spoon and anchovy. This time the anchovy in UV green teaser head at 65' was the ticket.

Scratched up a "chinook-um" and a couple pinks at Sheringham this am. Happy to get out with the wife and get her working the gear. Nothing to write home about but got her into a red 15.5lb. It looked awful "chummy" up close, but black mouth/gums, spots, wide tail, smelled like a chinook, fought like a chinook, red meat, but it almost had the stripes on the side when we got back to the dock. They were gone when we got home so I pulled out a whole chum I had in the freezer and compared and it but I'm still not 100% sold. Now like 95%. Hybrid maybe? Thoughts?

Chrome teaser head, Betsy. Didn't see much caught out deeper so we shallowed up our gear and got up on the rocks. First pass. Stomachs packed with small 2-3" bait fish, but were rolling 8 packs of anchovies. Lots of boats out hammering the pinks though. Pinks were at around 50'.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/watch-out-for-hybrids.67086/#post-841103

That is an epic day, for sure! Good work. Did you get the halibut while trolling for salmon? I imagine a halibut that size on a salmon rod would be a battle not soon forgotten.

Actually on Salmon gear they behave quite nicely and usually can be reeled in with out much fuss. I attribute this to not being able to put as much pressure on them with the softer salmon rod and the just kind of go with the flow. We somehow hooked a 60# hali in the tail a few weeks ago and that was a completely different story. We thought we had a monster spring on for a bit.

Was at the Head at 5 and the first rod in the water just about to put it in the clip and line is pulled out of my hand and fish on. Nice big Pink. Trolled up to the Trap 4-5 passes and nothing, continued on up to the Island and 4 springs in a hour all on the same spot and same depth. 2 on bait and 2 on green 4" spoon, all 15-20lbs. Back at the dock by 9:30. Great Day for sure.

Fished from 6:45am until 12:30pm today, still without an operational kicker.

Started at Sheringham but only released some shakers and one unclipped coho in 2.5 hours. Left at 9:30am and trolled down to Muir and made a couple of passes there but nada. Headed out to 300’ plus to find some pinks but by late morning a strong east wind had come up and blowing against the flood made an awkward chop that seemed to come from 5 directions at once. After 90 minutes of relative discomfort had only managed one pink so pulled the gear and bounced and crashed home.

So, unless a miracle should happen later this month, I am a well on the way to my worst season since I started as a beginner here in 2010.

I attach some pics I took this morning of the other worldly, surreal sunrise made possible by all the smoke we are getting from the interior fires! Probably never see the like again……P1280798.JPG P1280801.JPG P1280806.JPG

Last edited:
Englisnman...I watched you this morning and I'm sure you must have seen me. Did you notice that me and D&D were on the inside of you every time we met. You never once went in close to the rock where most of the action often happens. Me and Doug are not in tight going back and forth to catch a cold. Next time put one rigger at 40 ft and the other at 45 feet and get in along the rock...stay outside of the kelp on thr east end but get close to it and the only other thing to remember is to angle outward as you come to the west end of the rock as it shallows up on that end and if you angle inward there the bottom will grab your cannonball and not want to give it back. The rest of the ground in front of the rock is sand and if you touch bottom it will just rub along until you raise it. Sporing are seldom where YOU want them to be they are where you find them and there are places that they hold most of the time. If I spent my time out where you were my results would be similar to yours. Not saying they are never further out on the ebb but I start inside until I see fish being caught outside.

Some photos of this morning

Attachments

• IMG_3197.JPG
    IMG_3197.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 129
Fished from 6:45am until 12:30pm today, still without an operational kicker.

Started at Sheringham but only released some shakers and one unclipped coho in 2.5 hours. Left at 9:30am and trolled down to Muir and made a couple of passes there but nada. Headed out to 300’ plus to find some pinks but by late morning a strong east wind had come up and blowing against the flood made an awkward chop that seemed to come from 5 directions at once. After 90 minutes of relative discomfort had only managed one pink so pulled the gear and bounced and crashed home.

So, unless a miracle should happen later this month, I am a well on the way to my worst season since I started as a beginner here in 2010.

I attach some pics I took this morning of the other worldly, unreal sunrise made possible by all the smoke we are getting from the interior fires! Probably never see the like again……View attachment 34619 View attachment 34620 View attachment 34621

Remember what we talked about in weekend when I saw you at derby. Get in closer and things will change.

Englisnman...I watched you this morning and I'm sure you must have seen me. Did you notice that me and D&D were on the inside of you every time we met. You never once went in close to the rock where most of the action often happens. Me and Doug are not in tight going back and forth to catch a cold. Next time put one rigger at 40 ft and the other at 45 feet and get in along the rock...stay outside of the kelp on thr east end but get close to it and the only other thing to remember is to angle outward as you come to the west end of the rock as it shallows up on that end and if you angle inward there the bottom will grab your cannonball and not want to give it back. The rest of the ground in front of the rock is sand and if you touch bottom it will just rub along until you raise it. Sporing are seldom where YOU want them to be they are where you find them and there are places that they hold most of the time. If I spent my time out where you were my results would be similar to yours. Not saying they are never further out on the ebb but I start inside until I see fish being caught outside.
Profisher I saw the two boats mostly on the inside of me, but I did not know one of them was you. Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time although it is difficult to go on a tack already occupied by the big boys!! LOL ;)Also I kept watch but did not see anyone catch anything of note so I quit to troll up to Muir. Perhaps you had already cleaned it out before our arrival at 6:45 am?? :DI know lots of guys start at 5:00am or earlier but unless I had a spot light on my bimini I am not going to run the gauntlet of logs, crab traps and kelp rafts to get to Sheringham in the dark!!:)

Last edited:
Nice pics all around boys.

Counting the days, only a short few more and I'll be out there gettin at it.

Plenty of room on that tack for 5 or 6 boats even English, I've done it many times with more even. Just get in line and take your pass. Once you pass the far rock to the west, turn south/ south west out about 300 yards there's a hump or pinnacle it's a small one but if you look for it you'll find it, it's not on a chart but it's there use that hump as your marker pass around the back side of it and head back to your tack. When the tides on the move they will sit behind that hump on either side depends which tide and they will pick up bait as it's washed passed it. Remember use the structure don't just troll around aimlessly.

Englishman...the aluminum boat with 2 guys in it got one which was there 4th so they left and I got one at the same time...(they had 2 fish before I got there)..... you had wondered way down to the west at that time. I got my 2 for the single client I had with me then went in and picked up his wife and kids for a short trip...popped into Possession..fought the twits that run the inside with the flood, and the weed...which reminded me why I don't fish there anymore..picked up a teener and they were happy and we went in.

Back