2017 DFO cutbacks

While Stream Keeping volunteer organizations will continue to operate, these cuts mean the loss of incredibly valuable technical and coordination resources. A very short-sighted decision IMHO.

Is no one reading this the same way I am... "It was revealed Friday that the Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Resource Restoration Unit is being eliminated, along with two other salmon enhancement programs, including the Education and Technical Support contracts and the production of Steelhead and Cutthroat Trout at salmon enhancement program hatcheries." Every federal hatchery is part of SEP! You want to fish for Steelhead on the Vedder, fine but you will never be taking on home again! No hatchery means no hatchery fish!

If I am wrong please correct me, but it seems pretty clear to me!

No support for wild fish. It's all about the farmed open net penned non-native invasive atlantics now. That's where there efforts lie thxs to big money and lobbyists.

Sounds like something Harper would have liked to have done.

Conuma/Muchalat lk rearing chinook pen done with help of DFO.always a hit watching everyone pull the camp together before the long weekend.

I don't care what they do anymore we will do it ourselves. We really already are.

We as anglers have to realize if we want the resource to survive it's isn't any government provincially federally that will do it for us.

We as a group need to stop fighting with ourselves in every sector and push back at the government. That includes first nations. We always seem to argue about were getting than looking at big picture.

Ottawa has last touch with reality. They care more about the maritime and Ontario.

The enhancement will continue with or without dfo.

I think it's a slap in the face to volunteers to be honest.

There are plenty of fundraising activities throughout BC that everyone shoukd be a part of. Please donate to PSF or attend some of your local fundraising derbies or lend a hand. Every bit counts.

Just more evidence that electing an Montreal elitist further separates the Central government from the West. So here is one to pontificate; "What benefit do you get from a Federal government?" Regardless of which party is in power,if you look back at the last 60 years, where equalization payments have continued to take more from your pocket than gets returned in Federal money coming back in this province, what have you actually got from Federalism? Well you get a kickass hockey team every 4 years at the Olympics. But other than that, what do you as a Westerner really get?

I feel for all the people that are going to loose their job as of July 31 ,maybe our Provicial government can do some thing to save these programs

What did you all expect. He gave you back the coast guard station. I forgot, he closed another one to open this one in the lower mainland where the are literally hundreds of boats on the water to assist people.

Where did you think all this money was coming from.

Justin Trudeau is what happens when it becomes "cool" to be politically active with no real idea on how the real world works. He is a drama teacher that got his butt handed to him by Mathew Perry and spent the rest of his days being influenced by communist leaders.

This might motivate me and a few others to get involved in some volunteer work.

I hear of a mythical time when everyone didn't rely on the government to provide everything for us and there was a lot more community based organizations and an effort to look after our own backyard.

We have been socially conditioned that the Fed is our mother and we are still living at home in the basement crying because she didn't make our favourite lunch snack.

Last edited:
Justin Trudeau is what happens when it becomes "cool" to be politically active with no real idea on how the real world works. He is a drama teacher that got his butt handed to him by Mathew Perry and spent the rest of his days being influenced by communist leaders.

LOL.... so what your saying is that a couple of 5th graders beat up a 3rd grader and that somehow made him a communist. Wow someone needs a spinner.

Nope. Not even quite sure how you got to that idea.

Mathew Perry kickin his butt was just poking fun.

The fact he (mainly driven by his father) had close ties with communist leaders is more serious. Never trust a politician with communist tendencies.

Nope. Not even quite sure how you got to that idea.

I guess I miss read what you typed..... LOL
He is a drama teacher that got his butt handed to him by Mathew Perry and spent the rest of his days being influenced by communist leaders.

I think it's was funny, your attempt at insult and by the way I'm not impressed with him either.

I don't care what they do anymore we will do it ourselves. We really already are.

We as anglers have to realize if we want the resource to survive it's isn't any government provincially federally that will do it for us.

We as a group need to stop fighting with ourselves in every sector and push back at the government. That includes first nations. We always seem to argue about were getting than looking at big picture.

Ottawa has last touch with reality. They care more about the maritime and Ontario.

The enhancement will continue with or without dfo.

I think it's a slap in the face to volunteers to be honest.

There are plenty of fundraising activities throughout BC that everyone shoukd be a part of. Please donate to PSF or attend some of your local fundraising derbies or lend a hand. Every bit counts.
The Maritimes and Otario elected them, so no surprise.

Let them hear you!

Fisheries & Oceans Canada
Communications Branch
200 Kent Street, 13th Floor, Station 13E228
Ottawa Ontario K1A 0E6 Canada
Telephone: 613-993-0999

Last edited:
Back