2016 Winter Harbour Reports

Went to Cliffe Pt today from 1030-2 with dreams of Boats N Ho's. Saw lots on the sounder. Boated a 22lb spring on the ho gear (took a kripple K). Didn't see much action. Tried later at Mahatta, threwback a couple bluebacks. Returned on the incoming tide.

On a side note, we recently purchased some 'Owners' hooks for our anchovy hook ups. They were advertised by RiverSportsman as 'fantastic'. They totally straightened on us, thrice. Picked up some Gama's at the Bait shack for future use.

The hunt continues. My next outing isn't likely until the 15th.

Went to Cliffe Pt today from 1030-2 with dreams of Boats N Ho's. Saw lots on the sounder. Boated a 22lb spring on the ho gear (took a kripple K). Didn't see much action. Tried later at Mahatta, threwback a couple bluebacks. Returned on the incoming tide.

On a side note, we recently purchased some 'Owners' hooks for our anchovy hook ups. They were advertised by RiverSportsman as 'fantastic'. They totally straightened on us, thrice. Picked up some Gama's at the Bait shack for future use.

The hunt continues. My next outing isn't likely until the 15th.

Owner has different levels of strength. My assumption is you got a weaker strength.

Taking my own advice-summer is short sooooo the Spring Fever Flying Circus and Gong show will be off kain Island by 1400 hrs Sat thru mon. green and white Orca on ch 6-I share info!! Good luck to all!!

Taking my own advice-summer is short sooooo the Spring Fever Flying Circus and Gong show will be off kain Island by 1400 hrs Sat thru mon. green and white Orca on ch 6-I share info!! Good luck to all!!

Firelight, Jake, and I will be up there at 1400 hrs this Thursday thru Sunday. Staying in one of Dick's cabins again. See you up there Mike. We will try to save some for ya lol :D.

P.S.
Bring some tuna gear just in case ;).

What's the best place in Hardy to get salt ice? (We will have a boat in tow so it would be nice if we can just drive up or have a forklift bring a tote to the boat.)

Firelight, Jake, and I will be up there at 1400 hrs this Thursday thru Sunday. Staying in one of Dick's cabins again. See you up there Mike. We will try to save some for ya lol :D.

P.S.

What's the best place in Hardy to get salt ice? (We will have a boat in tow so it would be nice if we can just drive up or have a forklift bring a tote to the boat.)

Hardy boys I assume.

P.S.

I always carry Tuner gear up there this time of year-you never know!! I'll be on the hook-daytime behind the first island and night time up Browning inlet. Hope to see you there-Find them for me!!LOL

P.S.

Best place in Hardy/Winter Harbour for ice is here
Great guys
I believe its called "Cove fish"?
Always my 1st stop
Screenshot_20160809-215914.png

Last edited:
I'm sailing around the island but looks like the weathers gonna sock me in here for a couple days so may as well do some fishing! Guessing lots of coho? If you see a sailboat with downriggers give us a wave!

ANYONE HAVE ANY BOTTOM FISHING REPORTS OF LATE? HEARD THE COMMERCIAL FISHING HAS BEEN HITTING WH PRETTY HARD...?

We just returned from 6 days at Winter Harbour.Coho fishing was fantastic easy limits and lots fun catch and releasing.Fishing for springs was horrible.We got one spring in six days.Did not see any other at the cleaning table.Our usual spots for ground fish were very slow.we got a limit of lings and yellow eye but had to work for them. Lots of travelling around to find em.Not a single halibut.Coho were at 18- 25 feet for us inside the lighthouse.We are heading back in acouple of weeks for more coho action
LOL..... thanks

Was up there for 5 days last week as well. Pretty much the same report as most others, slow for springs but really good for coho. Give those things another month and they will be quite chunky.

We did venture out offshore the last day and had 3 springs in a couple hours, biggest was 27, smallest was 18. All were @ 165' in 300 FOW.

Bottomfishing was very slow for us. Where in the heck is 'pancake'? The guides were coming back with full limits of everything from there but were pretty tight on location (no surprise, i'd probably be the same way if that was how i made my living as well).

Oh, and we could not find a crab or prawn to save our lives. Side note, slime eels really suck... :)

Last edited:
Got back yesterday after 4 days fishing. I'll let the pictures do the talking :).

Wednesday evening we were off to a bad start :mad::(.

Frickin' welding shops......I tell ya lol!

Got the tire fixed first thing in the a.m. and firelight was already at my house helping Jake get things packed. I have to give a big shout out to my son Jake. He worked on the boat and tackle for days getting her ready. Thank you. She ran perfect the whole trip :cool:.

If anyone hasn't done this trip they should really think about it. The drive up there is long but smooth as butter. I would much rather drive the rig up there than to my lot at Salmon Beach lol. It is long but easy with no dirt roads. We stopped in Hardy at Cove Fisheries like some suggested. Thank you folks for that. We met Peter and gave him a case of Bud like Wade suggested. It does go a long ways ;). Great operation and good ice!!!

Launching in Coal Harbour.

The ride out was awesome.

The young fella drove out so us hard working older guys could have a few cold ones after a hectic week at work :cool::).

Firelight having a cold one and enjoying the sun and scenery.

To be continued....

Last edited:
After a nice boat ride we made it.

Kains Island dead ahead.

Winter Harbour.

We got the same cabin as last year from Dick's Last Resort.

These guys are why there are zero crabs around in the shallows. You can have fish carcasses below your dock for day's. In most area's they would be gone the next morning.

The Coast Guard likes the place as well and stayed a night there. I hope they were doing some research on there trip.

First day we went down off Lawn Point and fished deeper than last year. Found a really nice Western facing contour and drifted over it. Got into some nice lings right off the bat.

It was pretty snotty out so we decided to fish for salmon around Kains. Had a few hits and released a couple of undersize. It was crowded as usual so we decided to fish farther in at Cliff Point.

Jake checking gear at Cliff Point.

A not so bad line of boats up the wall.

Nada for us. We headed in early and had a nice dinner and just relaxed. Our nice neighbors in the cabin next to us did quite well on salmon at Kains. They were putting in full 12 hour days on the water though to get their 8 fish. Still they had fun and got a couple in the twenties and one 28 lber. They gave us some tips for the next day.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Saturday was the day the weather man let us down. We got up extra early to head down to Brooks.

4:45 a.m. at the dock.

Awesome sun rise. The place is so raw.

We are fishing.........barely. The run down was quite ok but about 15 minutes before getting to our destination off Solander Island the wind really picked up.

We picked up some fish after about a half hour of fishing and decided to pull the pin. We could only do about 10 mph for half of the way back. Firelight wants me to weld a periscope on the roof so we can see because he say's we were under water half the time lol. We found a few leaks around the windows and wiper bolts that we have never seen before. Interesting test for the rig for sure. We were about a mile off Solander and it was so rough I forgot to take a picture of it.

We stopped at our spot off Lawn Point on the way back and picked up some more bottom fish.

We kept 7 lings total for the trip. We could have killed 18 easily but we don't need that much fish. 5 of the lings were nice sized ones and two were just over legal. The ling fishing in this area is off the charts. I don't understand some of the negative reports. They are not hard to catch. You just have to try harder and try different areas and depths etc. White grubs on white lead heads killed em.

Firelight with a couple of nice ones at the dock.

To be continued.....

Last edited:
We came in relatively early this day after our rough boat ride home. Firelight read a book and had a nap. Jake and I decided to head out again that afternoon after resting a bit. We fished Kains for one tack and had a pin popper but couldn't make it stick. The wind was pretty bad and it was crowded again so we took our neighbors advice and headed inside to the kelp beds off the rocks before Cliff Point.

This part of the trip was pretty special to me as I really like fishing with my son and we just did it his way this evening. He loves jigging shallow water with lighter tackle etc. We forgot his spinning set up but we did have some of our tuna jigging rods on board (we came loaded for bear but the tuna fishing never panned out for us unfortunately). We were using Avet MX's with 25 lb. Maxima Ultra Green spooled on them mounted on cheap Ugly Stick light jigging rods (the tuna rods not the hali rods). We had a couple of light jigs from Gibb's on there and it was a total blast.

Right off the bat Jake hits a nice blue Lingcod in 35 feet of water just next to the kelp.

We found a school of black bombers in the shallows and weeded through them to keep 3 decent sized ones. Shortly after some coho were jumping near us and Jake cast his jig right next to the kelp and just let it free fall for a short moment. His line started to go out really fast and his thumb burned for a second or two before putting on the drag. Next thing we see is a nice coho jumping next to the boat. He played it like a pro and the old man didn't screw up the net job either ha ha.

We headed in and had a really nice steak dinner. I was beat from the sun and the ride back earlier. I went to bed really early and dreamed of coho and kelp beds.

To be continued.....

Back