2016 Tuna Adventures

Same ones we have been using..they work great on other critters too.. PNT has them up here...Was looking forward to try them on the long fins this year.. looking like I may not get a shot at them this year....:(

Great report Sculpin and 100% thanks again for the invite , thought all weekend about how much more fun i would have been having tuna fishing with the Sculpin crew pictures look awesome and i am glad the stars aligned

The ride in was ultra plush for most of the way. It got tight and stacked as we come up onto the shelf though and was pretty choppy by the lighthouse.

Kains Island on the way in.

We went back to the cabin and I started dinner while firelight tidied up the boat. We were having venison roast with some of Tidal Chaos's favourite beer.

Smiley and crew showed up and we invited them in for dinner and drinks. It was a nice bs session and good company. Thanks for the stories guys. They stayed on the boat at our dock and took off for home in the morning. We slept in a bit, cleaned up the cabin, and loaded up the boat. If the weather held up it would be really hard to leave ha ha. But alas, we had to return to work to help pay for the next adventure.

Leaving Kains Island behind us.

Back on the hard at Coal Harbour.

It was a good trip and we met some really nice folks. We got to fish with some new tuna fishers and be part of their excitement of trying this awesome fishery out. We went home with some nice grade tuna and some great memories. Thanks to everyone that made this trip so cool. Till next time.....

Cheers,
Sculpin
Great report, Sculpin. Thanks for sharing!

I'm always impressed by the depth and clarity of Sculpin's reports. So enjoyable to read ... Rich with vibrant detail and imagery. The effort Sculpin puts into the report allows all of us really get a sense of what the trip was really like....I just relived the whole weekend reading his posts ( Big Smile ) Thank you to Sculpin and Firelight , Afterhours , Fishin Magician and Sireen for an awesome colaberative tuna buddy boat experience. It was great to fish with such an awesome group of guys! Between the deer roast with all the trimmings that Sculpin and Firelight treated myself and my crew to that was second to none and the great eveing with AfterHours and his crew of super keeners ... Im not sure I've ever had a better trip! # Smiley for all the right reasons!

Looking to try and get out sometime after the 12th if the water sets up. If anyone is interested in joining us, the more the merrier. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss the tentative plan we are putting together.

Cheers

image.jpeg
The ride in was ultra plush for most of the way. It got tight and stacked as we come up onto the shelf though and was pretty choppy by the lighthouse.

Kains Island on the way in.

We went back to the cabin and I started dinner while firelight tidied up the boat. We were having venison roast with some of Tidal Chaos's favourite beer.

Smiley and crew showed up and we invited them in for dinner and drinks. It was a nice bs session and good company. Thanks for the stories guys. They stayed on the boat at our dock and took off for home in the morning. We slept in a bit, cleaned up the cabin, and loaded up the boat. If the weather held up it would be really hard to leave ha ha. But alas, we had to return to work to help pay for the next adventure.

Leaving Kains Island behind us.

Back on the hard at Coal Harbour.

It was a good trip and we met some really nice folks. We got to fish with some new tuna fishers and be part of their excitement of trying this awesome fishery out. We went home with some nice grade tuna and some great memories. Thanks to everyone that made this trip so cool. Till next time.....

Cheers,
Sculpin
We just arrived back home from our annual fall week fishing trip to winter harbour. Every year seems to hold a new and memorable moment that always makes us want to return sooner than later. Without a doubt this years highlight was the fortune of meeting Sculpin, firelite,and Smiley and crew! The epic first shot at these highly prized game fish would have never happen for us if it wasn't for these guys! I can't say enough about the team work amongst these guys to hone in on the fish. Sculpin described this adventure to a T, it gives me goose bumps reading his post!
Thanks again for one of the most memorable moments on the water, and let's hope for one more shot at it this year (OCTUNA)
After Hours

Bouyweather looking good again.

How's temps looking?

Bouyweather looking good again.

How's temps looking?
Hey J ya gotta just buck up for a Terrafin Subscription. Worth every penny in fuel savings when your looking for the water and planning a trip. Looks to be mostly out beyond the 1000 fathom line unfortunately.

Hey J ya gotta just buck up for a Terrafin Subscription. Worth every penny in fuel savings when your looking for the water and planning a trip. Looks to be mostly out beyond the 1000 fathom line unfortunately.
It's crazy how far out the water is. I have already ordered 10 flash frozen from my commy buddy from his next trip 125 miles out.

It's crazy how far out the water is. I have already ordered 10 flash frozen from my commy buddy from his next trip 125 miles out.
There are some great terafin shots up now. Still looks like it's about 85 miles out but at least now one can run out at about 217 magnetic and get there in Canadian waters.

I'll be running out of Ilwaco on Sat. Should only be a 32-35 mile run down there.

The Banjo off Winter Harbor still looks great. It's about the only place with good blue water and a hard temp break. It's quite amazing that patch has been there for over 3 weeks now.

Looking at hitting it on Thursday, going to head out the WH Wednesday afternoon and go for it early. Winds down to light and small swell.

Couple boats going so hope to cover some ground and find some fish.

Will report back

Good luck Wade. PM me if you don't have terrafin. I can give you a suggested starting point. It's looks really good at the South East tip of the Banjo or just above the North tip of the Haida ridge. The ridge is on the charts and the banjo just looks like a big guitar lol.

Thanks John,

Headed out with a few guys in the know over here and have fished the area many times. We all had a chin wag this morning putting a plan together.

Will only be my second time fishing local so looking forward to it.

Thanks John,

Headed out with a few guys in the know over here and have fished the area many times. We all had a chin wag this morning putting a plan together.

Will only be my second time fishing local so looking forward to it.

Awesome. Go get em!!! :D. It looks so good up there right now. Wish I could afford to do it again. Can't wait to hear how it went :).

I'm setting up some hand lines for a trip out from north island, what was working recently (Ahem, Sculpin)? I have 35' and 50' tuna cord to the diver board, any preference using tuna cord or 200# mono from the diver board to the lure? What distance between the diver and the lure?

Thanks

I'm setting up some hand lines for a trip out from north island, what was working recently (Ahem, Sculpin)? I have 35' and 50' tuna cord to the diver board, any preference using tuna cord or 200# mono from the diver board to the lure? What distance between the diver and the lure?

Thanks

Length of the tuna cord sounds good to me. Definitely use mono as a leader 200 lb down to 120 lb if you want. I run 7 foot leaders on everything. You don't want to go too light on the hand lines cause they like to shack off. I've been using 60 -80 lb leaders on the rods.

Good luck out there :).

Back