2016 Port Renfrew Reports

Thanks for the tip. I sure wish I knew that yesterday. It was a beauty on the water. Fingers crossed for next weekend

Lots of whales out there this weekend too. Humpbacks yesterday, and humpbacks and orcas today. Lost a bunch of gear to a humpback that surfaced right beside the boat and then dove down underneath. He came out of nowhere and then before I knew it my downrigger was spooled while both rods screamed out line. :(

Also had an orca breach 20 feet from the boat. What a day.

Thanks for the reports guys! Heading to sooke/renfrew on saturday for 6 days of fishing. Got my 17.5ft Malibu Tyee. Fingers crossed the weather is decent and I'am able to run out to swiftshure.

The seas in Renfrew dont look nearly as friendly as last weekend, according to windyty.

2.1m swells every 8 seconds :eek::eek: (last weekend was 0.9m @ 14s)

Lots of whales out there this weekend too. Humpbacks yesterday, and humpbacks and orcas today. Lost a bunch of gear to a humpback that surfaced right beside the boat and then dove down underneath. He came out of nowhere and then before I knew it my downrigger was spooled while both rods screamed out line. :(

Also had an orca breach 20 feet from the boat. What a day.

Did you get your humpback tag on your licence. Wouldn't want to get ticketed. :)

Wow that's a strange way to lose gear. Never heard of that one before. Thanks for all the reports.

It was definitely a new experience for me! I always try and keep my distance and pull gear if I have time, but this happened so fast. Losing a full side of gear wasnt ideal, but the whale was unphased. He happily surfaced again a few minutes later.

I recall reading a discussion on here about whales being smart enough to avoid gear in the water, but they might have been talking about orcas. This humpback certainly didnt give a f.

The seas in Renfrew dont look nearly as friendly as last weekend, according to windyty.

2.1m swells every 8 seconds :eek::eek: (last weekend was 0.9m @ 14s)
For what it's worth at 10 pm last Friday night the forecasts for Saturday weren't very good either. Fingers crossed.

For what it's worth at 10 pm last Friday night the forecasts for Saturday weren't very good either. Fingers crossed.
For wind or the swells? The swell forecast when I checked (Friday AM) looked great all weekend 0.9m@13s

Old time rock and roll today, about time. Prolonged bite, into 7 springs today boated 5 from 20-35 lbs. Camper Creek go get em while they are still hot :D Pulled the boat, done for the season time to work for a couple of weeks then it is hunting from late August till November. Good luck to you all I hope this is a sign August may treat you well.

Heavy Hauler

Thanks for the report Jackel, been waiting a long time to hear those words! (not the part about you being done for the season of course) :D:D

Supposed to be pretty swelly this weekend so we were planning on fishing the beach anyways, looking forward to fighting through the crowd in search of a tyee!!!

I haven't fished Renfrew in a few years, just wondering what everyone is using at the beach? Anchovies still the popular choice?

Old time rock and roll today, about time. Prolonged bite, into 7 springs today boated 5 from 20-35 lbs. Camper Creek go get em while they are still hot :D Pulled the boat, done for the season time to work for a couple of weeks then it is hunting from late August till November. Good luck to you all I hope this is a sign August may treat you well.

Heavy Hauler
have a good one my friend,go kill something lol.going up for 10 days 5 to 14 aug,might stop buy your place in between

have a good one my friend,go kill something lol.going up for 10 days 5 to 14 aug,might stop buy your place in between
Thanks, good luck, I will be back home on Aug. 6th, then gone Aug., 11-12th. Biggriff sports baggers still drag chovies.

Back