2016 Port Renfrew Reports

Im not sure whats going on at the bank or up at Nitinat, but the beach fishing has certainly improved. We had 4 fish between 14-21# today in about 5 hours of effort, 2 hatch and 2 wild, all of them reds. Bellies had those little sticklebacks/perch/whatever that everybody has been finding in their fish lately. Hopefully a harbinger of an epic finish to the season!

Im not sure whats going on at the bank or up at Nitinat, but the beach fishing has certainly improved. We had 4 fish between 14-21# today in about 5 hours of effort, 2 hatch and 2 wild, all of them reds. Bellies had those little sticklebacks/perch/whatever that everybody has been finding in their fish lately. Hopefully a harbinger of an epic finish to the season!

Is your success on bait? Small bait?

Joe

Usually bait on one side and a spoon on the other, if Im on my own I often to run 2 artificials. Truth be told youll catch fish on any of the popular rigs if the fish are present.

fishing is ok,not on fire but ok,sat was good,sunday a lot slower slopy condition on sunday,came back with 8 spings,only 3 at 12,14,20 the others were feeder size fish,lots of hook ups on good fish that never made it in the boat,some people are out to lunch as far as what goes on around them had a screamer on with 3 boats around 2 got out of the way the other one ran the fish over wondering why the other 2 boats were circling lol not even worth getting PO as the guys in the boat did not seem to no what they did wrong.reason why i usually stay away from the gong show ANGER MANAGEMENT ONLY WORKS ON GOOD DAYS

I went catch+release last Saturday; mostly by choice... released 3 teens with the gaff, and had a good number of solid hits throughout the day that didnt stick. Also lost a few decent fish after they made screaming runs. Not sure what the issue was, my hooks were sticky sharp.

Nice to meet you at the dock, Brutus!

Reactions: RBL
fishing is ok,not on fire but ok,sat was good,sunday a lot slower slopy condition on sunday,came back with 8 spings,only 3 at 12,14,20 the others were feeder size fish,lots of hook ups on good fish that never made it in the boat,some people are out to lunch as far as what goes on around them had a screamer on with 3 boats around 2 got out of the way the other one ran the fish over wondering why the other 2 boats were circling lol not even worth getting PO as the guys in the boat did not seem to no what they did wrong.reason why i usually stay away from the gong show ANGER MANAGEMENT ONLY WORKS ON GOOD DAYS

lol good thing i wasnt there might have beaten the guy to your fish, have fun, off to the koots to bow hunt bull elk now

lol good thing i wasnt there might have beaten the guy to your fish, have fun, off to the koots to bow hunt bull elk now
go kill an elk my friend.if u would of been there my fla sher would of snag your cutplug going by(hook up at camper in tight with a medium hering lol)

Fished Renfrew yesterday with Island Outfitters charter. 4 springs 15-26lb. Lost one high 20's at the net. Couple other hits. Successful double header.
Halibut continues to suck.
Great weather and a great day of fishing.

Woke up to fog and rain this morning when we left. What a difference a day makes.

Fished the beach a bit this weekend, mind you we didnt hit it too hard. Boated a mid/high teener, buddy lost a screamer that bent my ap sandlance at a 90 degree angle, and one more that we lost to the kelp beds. Saw the odd fish netted here and there but most boats didnt fare much better than us, and some probably fared worse. Really had to work for your fish there this weekend!

worst august fishing i have ever seen,some fish are getting caught in small numbers,but most like me get blank.hope the coho fishing is better.the quote there coming ,there just late is getting old lol,sept in 2 days

worst august fishing i have ever seen,some fish are getting caught in small numbers,but most like me get blank.hope the coho fishing is better.the quote there coming ,there just late is getting old lol,sept in 2 days

Hey buddy i am around mid Sept. if you need a deck hand to help out :)

would

love to have u on board, my cutplugging need some refinning,learning from a veterant like you would be awsome

ok 3 things though
1- you must take your downriggers off or
2- it must be foggy so no one can see me on a sportsdragging boat or
3- you have to have a clean bucket on board so i can throw it on my head if anyone comes by
:D

ok 3 things though
1- you must take your downriggers off or
2- it must be foggy so no one can see me on a sportsdragging boat or
3- you have to have a clean bucket on board so i can throw it on my head if anyone comes by
:D
lol done

It's been a tough year for sure but from the pictures my buddies have been sending me its far from the worst..

[]
]
It's been a tough year for sure but from the pictures my buddies have been sending me its far from the worst..
your buddies,how many fish per outings do they get???? one or 2 here and there???? or go back in with limits with 3-4 people on board???i spend 16 days of fishing in august there and did not see to many boats comming in with limits,the odd relic at the marina do ok,just ok but thats about it.hell i seen none guides come in with 1-2 mid size fish after full days on the water,to me thats poor fishing for renfrew in august.lots and lots of boats come in blank

I concur with reports renfrew was very slow today. Fished camper and east point. There are a few here and there but for August that's slowest I have seen. A little frightening personally.

Kinda surprising that out of the 200 boats fishing the PRM derby this weekend, not a single one has posted a report!

I just got back this afternoon. It was a great weekend. The derby went off without a hitch; a decent number of fish showed up, the weather was beautiful all weekend, no wind or rain, the dinner and prizes were both nicely done - with a very generous $1000 bid winning the cheesecake for a couple groups in the crowd spearheaded by Mr.Batty (this money all goes to the hatchery of course), the live music and dancing were great and went on well into the night. Seemed like everyone had a blast, and nobody was left thirsty with the kegs being seemingly bottomless. Saw lots of familiar faces and met a few new ones, this truly was the best derby of the year for me despite not weighing in anything over 16#. As far as the fishing went on my boat, it was a bit cramped with 4 guys and 5 rod tickets................................ but we made it work and everyone had a blast. Only a few birds nests to untangle! We had 2 fish each day, all teenagers, all caught in 40-60 feet of water between 30-60 feet on the rigger, using chovies and spoons. Probably saw 1000 betsy flashers out there! We lost our fair share of fish as well, and tried a bunch of stupid **** that I would never try on my own - none of which paid off except maybe in terms of laughter. Sorry if my boat cut anybody off this weekend, we had a real maniac behind the wheel!:p

Hope everyone else had fun :)

Back