2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

Secretly I am still hoping they are late. Pretty much why I keep checking the Langara lodge reports for the "wave" and then these Nootka reports for the "any place" "any depth" "any thing" reports I remember. How awesome would it be to have lights-out chinook fishing in late Aug-September. Be easier to get a site at cougar creek that time of year anyway. But when reading about the sockeye this year, and what appears to be my local world famous pinks being "late", makes me wonder about the ocean conditions all returning salmon have had to deal with this year. Hoping it improves down the stretch.
I personally think we are going to have a great late season fishery. Guess it's easier for me to feel optimistic seeing as our area has had a great year with limits of Chinooks almost every day.

I'm hoping they are late, but I am more afraid of the alternative...a whole year-class disappearing, especially one that was predicted to be so prominent, and one that we saw last year. Just FYI from what I have heard about the AK troll fishery the WCVI component of that catch wasn't outside of the expected. September in Nootka would be awesome.

Reactions: Joe
Your logic escapes me-how does a poor run when nothing is done about it bode well for the future?

I say this because it's a sign we need to leave the fishery alone and let it have as many fish spawn as possible thus making more for the future. Don't get me wrong I would love to be out there pulling them in but they also need there time to re populate

Now for the bizarre story of our trip. Trolling near Coopte Pt on Saturday morning. One of the rods slowly bent down and back up again - typical sign of running through yet another bunch of jellyfish. Pulled up the downrigger and saw fishing line caught around the ball. I had my son put the boat in neutral immediately to avoid tangling in the prop. Pulled up the other downrigger and more line was around it. There were no other boats around me - that was the first scan I did to see if I had somehow hooked someone's line but I knew that couldn't be the case. After getting the line untangled on one side, I started pulling it in by hand - it started pulling back! Managed to get it to the boat and netted a 20 pounder. Untangled the other side and pulled in the rod and reel ... it was still in the rod holder which had apparently ripped from the side of the unlucky persons boat when the fish hit. I called out on channel 16 multiple times asking for anyone who had lost a rod and reel to call me. I had one person meet up with me at Moucha Bay but it wasn't his. I was really hoping to be able to return it to the owner along with the salmon that had remained attached (the hook fell out as soon as I got it in the net - we had lost 3 in a row but somehow this one stayed hooked - bizarre). I let the staff at Moucha Bay know but so far no one has reported anything. If the story rings a bell for anyone on the forum, please let me know. I've washed the reel and rod down with fresh water and it seems good as new - also have the snapped rod holder you can mount on the wall as a memento :). If you can identify it, I have some vacuum sealed chinook fillets that will accompany the return of your rod and reel!

Hi Saratoga! This is Bert Lee. I believe that is our rod that we lost on Friday July 29th when we had a double-header at Hoiss Bay at 5:30am. My son grabbed the second rod. In the excitement, he dropped it overboard. I will email you the details to confirm it is mine. You can reach me at gslee767@gmail.com or call me at 604-220-9497.

Hi Bert.
I'm not sure it's yours unfortunately. It sounds like a few rods hit the water that weekend.
Codfather emailed me the specifics including the lure that was used and other specifics that make me certain it is his friends rod. Also, it was at Coopte Pt. I'm just waiting for Codfather to get connectivity again so I can get an address to ship everything to. Sorry I don't have better news for you. I am looking forward to getting the gear back to the owner - makes for a much better story/experience knowing we managed to locate the owner.
Thanks.

I'm hoping they are late, but I am more afraid of the alternative...a whole year-class disappearing, especially one that was predicted to be so prominent, and one that we saw last year. Just FYI from what I have heard about the AK troll fishery the WCVI component of that catch wasn't outside of the expected. September in Nootka would be awesome.
The missing class of fish is not a good news... :(

Just got back from a week at Nootka. Been fishing it since 1995. I have had 3 bad years in all that time, but have caught salmon even in a bad year. None for us THIS YEAR. wish I could say it was me. On Thursday morning at Moutcha Bay the DFO creel count lady was there. By noon she had ONE FISH COME IN. Up to 300 boats in the sound and Thasis, so tons of effort.

There were fish off of 4 mile reef, and north of there, out of Esperanza, but not many at all. That is a 50 mile run from Moutcha. The guys who did this run left very early, refueled twice, and fished til late. They spent $631.00 on gas that day in total.

Inside was full of jelly fish, and most odd, whales feeding out of NESOOK bay. There were Anchovy in Moutcha bay one day at the dock, miles of them, and big. I caught about a dozen with a pescator rig, and some were 6 - 7 inches long. Never seen that before.

For our many American Friends who were there, some driving 4 days one way from Idaho, what can I say, no one knows what happened to the fish so far.

The bottom fish were taking a pounding from everyone who were trying to bring something home, so it was not all bad.

Drewski

Fishing is still very sloooooooow in Nootka. There have been little bites here and there inside but very dead.

Offshore a couple miles past the Bouy there are fish holding and if the weather permits you can get into them.

We had a couple days of great bottom fishing last week as the winds calmed down for a brief break but has now kicked back up. Pics to follow.

When I went back to Critter a couple days ago I couldn't believe my eyes when there were 2 gill netters anchored in the Backyard. WTF is that all about??????? They are getting an opening for 4000 pieces this week and I'm amazed at that as it is a dead sea inside right now.

Last week Nootka Lodge had a group of 20 people out for 2 days and sent them home with 6 fish total. Last year that same group came same time same place and went home the 75 springs.

I just had a group of 6 guys that have been fishing with me in Nootka for 15 years and they went home with 4 salmon. The good things we were able to get offshore Friday and lay the lumber to the ground fish and fill the cooler.

I was fishing out of Hole in the Wall behind Critter with Johnny the owner and he has been fishing Nootka since the 60's. We trolled Saturday morning for 6 hours, then back out for the evening fish. Grand total 1 fish 20 pounds. Next morning we fished for 5 hours and got NOTHING. Now I know I'm not the best at catching fish but I've lucked into a few over my 28 years in Nootka but I'm telling you I never had a #%&*@#% bite in 15 hours of trolling.

I stayed at Saavedra Island last night with my buddy Mike and we talked about what has happened to the fishing. He just had Doug and Morris staying at his place for the last 4 days. they fished hard for the whole time and went home with NOTHING folks. These two guys have been fishing Nootka since 1982 and make several trips a year. They know how to fish and put in the time without catching a single fish.

There was another guy Ron, who just left yesterday that had been fishing here for 4 days (T-Bird). They went back home SKUNKED, not one single fish. These guys were here in July and fished the Bouy and went home with a limit of nice springs. So they know how to catch fish and couldn't get anything.

So now I'm going to go on a bit of a rant so I'll apologize now if I offend anyone that doesn't deserve it but most do.

DFO predicted 100K of Chinook Salmon returning to the Conuma months ago. All the hype that created along with the talk of all these 4 and 5 year old fish did not happen.

Now DFO has updated the run size to be down to 30K. That is a 70% error. It's not even a little tweaking to get to the final numbers, it's totally WRONG.

Here is how I would start corrective action against those in charge. You FIRE the top 10 people in the fisheries department starting at the very top and sweep your way down to anyone that had a hand in this fiasco. I don't want to hear that's kind of drastic and they have families or any other crap just FIRE them.

If you had any other business where they made a 70% mistake heads would get chopped off. Think of any of the CFO's that screwed there budgets up by 70%, would they have a job?????

We have never been able to hold these incompetent fools accountable for the many screw ups they make every year. It's time you get the pen and paper out or your computer and send your concerns off ASAP because we are losing our fishery as we sit on our hands.

Two more weeks of fishing for me so I still go to bed every night thinking it's time for the fish to move into Nootka and we can start catching fish the way we are use to doing.

Mike

Fished the 6-13 of August hooked into 5 landed 3 springs between 12-18lb ... another 10 or so jacks ... landed are 2 biggest at rosa in esperanza lots of bait right close to shore 50' fishing 25 and 35 on the rigger ... other fish was caught at the wall 44 feet on the rigger .. No love for anchovies all fish caught flasher green or with small 3inch spoon cop car and glow white with long leader 5-8feet .. Fishing was super slow we lucky to even catch fish put in upto 17hour days on the water inc travel.

Just got back from our annual trip ( 12 th ) stayed at Tuta again . As fishing was slow spent a little more time exploring , daughter was taking pictures of bears on the beaches and trying to get a decent shot of the many sea otters and whales . Went to friendly cove for the afternoon and it was interesting. Managed 6 springs and 2 decent Coho for 5 solid days of fishing usually that would be considered a very slow morning . My Friend in his boat was 0 for 5 days . Nice to meet forum member Deejay at Tuta and hope you enjoyed your first trip to Nootka . Hoping enough fish show up to spawn in the surrounding rivers .

Fishing is still very sloooooooow in Nootka. There have been little bites here and there inside but very dead.

Offshore a couple miles past the Bouy there are fish holding and if the weather permits you can get into them.

We had a couple days of great bottom fishing last week as the winds calmed down for a brief break but has now kicked back up. Pics to follow.

When I went back to Critter a couple days ago I couldn't believe my eyes when there were 2 gill netters anchored in the Backyard. WTF is that all about??????? They are getting an opening for 4000 pieces this week and I'm amazed at that as it is a dead sea inside right now.

Last week Nootka Lodge had a group of 20 people out for 2 days and sent them home with 6 fish total. Last year that same group came same time same place and went home the 75 springs.

I just had a group of 6 guys that have been fishing with me in Nootka for 15 years and they went home with 4 salmon. The good things we were able to get offshore Friday and lay the lumber to the ground fish and fill the cooler.

I was fishing out of Hole in the Wall behind Critter with Johnny the owner and he has been fishing Nootka since the 60's. We trolled Saturday morning for 6 hours, then back out for the evening fish. Grand total 1 fish 20 pounds. Next morning we fished for 5 hours and got NOTHING. Now I know I'm not the best at catching fish but I've lucked into a few over my 28 years in Nootka but I'm telling you I never had a #%&*@#% bite in 15 hours of trolling.

I stayed at Saavedra Island last night with my buddy Mike and we talked about what has happened to the fishing. He just had Doug and Morris staying at his place for the last 4 days. they fished hard for the whole time and went home with NOTHING folks. These two guys have been fishing Nootka since 1982 and make several trips a year. They know how to fish and put in the time without catching a single fish.

There was another guy Ron, who just left yesterday that had been fishing here for 4 days (T-Bird). They went back home SKUNKED, not one single fish. These guys were here in July and fished the Bouy and went home with a limit of nice springs. So they know how to catch fish and couldn't get anything.

So now I'm going to go on a bit of a rant so I'll apologize now if I offend anyone that doesn't deserve it but most do.

DFO predicted 100K of Chinook Salmon returning to the Conuma months ago. All the hype that created along with the talk of all these 4 and 5 year old fish did not happen.

Now DFO has updated the run size to be down to 30K. That is a 70% error. It's not even a little tweaking to get to the final numbers, it's totally WRONG.

Here is how I would start corrective action against those in charge. You FIRE the top 10 people in the fisheries department starting at the very top and sweep your way down to anyone that had a hand in this fiasco. I don't want to hear that's kind of drastic and they have families or any other crap just FIRE them.

If you had any other business where they made a 70% mistake heads would get chopped off. Think of any of the CFO's that screwed there budgets up by 70%, would they have a job?????

We have never been able to hold these incompetent fools accountable for the many screw ups they make every year. It's time you get the pen and paper out or your computer and send your concerns off ASAP because we are losing our fishery as we sit on our hands.

Two more weeks of fishing for me so I still go to bed every night thinking it's time for the fish to move into Nootka and we can start catching fish the way we are use to doing.

Mike

It's sad to see Nootka (among other areas) fishing so poorly this season. I hope the fish are late but I agree it's looking like that probably isn't the case!

Codfather, I understand the negativity but would have to respectfully disagree with your corrective action regarding DFO. Run 'forecasts' are simply that, a prediction. The people in charge of making this prediction are not the the highest up in DFO, they are the biologists and others with technical expertise mining data and crunching numbers. While managers have to be accountable for the work that their staff produces, firing all of them over this hardly seems like the correct solution. Biologists are trying to project numbers based on historical run data combined with conditions found in native streams the year of those spawns as well as ocean survival conditions. In addition to that, they try to account for an estimated number of pieces removed due to commercial and sport fishing pressure. They take that data and try to extrapolate the best they can. Who knows? Maybe their forecasting methods could be improved? ... sometimes mother nature is hard to figure out and surprises us. The historic 2010 fraser sockeye return surprised everyone. The conservative low end forecast for that run was 4 million fish and 30 million showed up. Wrong predictions go both ways some times.

Now that it is mid August it would appear Conuma chinook forecasts are in fact way off this year and it's up to DFO to keep close tabs on their data to make in-season adjustments like they've done...and if that warrants fishing closures then that is their responsibility and we should hold them accountable for those actions. DFO has to balance opportunity for both sport and commercial fishing with conservation and I hope when in-season data suggests the fish might be in trouble, conservation would be priority number 1. Its easy to just get pissed at DFO about a lot of what's going on and label them incompetent, but maybe we should take a step back and try to help provide some input. Rather than writing an angry email to DFO calling for everyone's head, lets voice our concerns - "Hey DFO, I wanted to let you know I've been fishing Nootka for 2o something years and this is the worst Ive ever seen it. I'm deeply concerned about the possible commercial opening upcoming and I think you should consider closing it down to protect these stocks or until escapement has been met." or something of that nature.... If we are all putting the fish first it seems like something we ought to at least try.

Full disclosure - No, I do not work for DFO but have a few friends that do and trust me they care deeply about trying to get things right and all of them are avid sport anglers. In my opinion most of the issues with DFO arise from lack of regard in Ottawa and appropriate budget to correct the staff shortage that manages and enforces the resource here in BC - although this is another topic entirely. My 2 cents, sorry if this is thread hijacking continue on with the fishing reports.

It would seem the predictions need to be more accurate, if only for limiting the over commercial harvest in SEAK.
Without the initial abundance forecast, their fishery might have been much more conservative.
:(

Last edited:
Thought i might report on my last two trips,

#1) July 22-24 fished entrance, 4 mile and T, very calm conditions, water was 56-62, were able to travel at 20-25 knots offshore. Caught 9 springs on the trip 15-22lbs. 3 Hali (chickens) and i lost count but many thick 9-15 lb wild coho offshore (maybe 40 over three days) which was a ton of fun even thou they were catch and release off shore. I even got a double header on one rod and landed both of them as well as a few other double headers on two rods.

Overall a really fun trip with great calm conditions, the Chinook were not large but we were able to find a few in between the Coho. We went home with 105 lbs of salmon (coho and chinook).

#2) Aug 13-14 fished entrance and 4 mile, sunny with about 15-20 wind water 49-56, lumpy conditions going out to four mile, short centers and steep waves, very fishable once going the right direction. The first day we got one 20 pound chinook and a couple coho offshore (released) as well as a ling and a yelloweye. Stopped by Rosa on the way in and got a 12lbs coho on my spinning rod (lots of fun). (ho hum fishing at best compared to the usual, didn't see many nets out at all.) The second day had a short day of fishing, went out to four mile. tried hootchies , 3.5 inch glow spoons, chovies, big spoons deep, shallow, middle and inbetween . Caught two yellow eye on the anchovies. Tried Rosa again on the way in, nothing, not even a lick by a salmon. Didn't see one net out that day including ours. We pulled the boat out at 12 and towed it back to CR from tahsis so our west coast season is over.

We have been going up to Nootka for the past 10 years and I have NEVER been skunked on a retain-able salmon in a day fishing so that was a first for me. We definitely caught our fair share of chinook and had some good days of fishing this season, had one decent day at ferrer before it closed, never really got into any chinooks inside other than ferrer. With that said it was also the slowest year for Chinook for us. Maybe the 100k run is very late (unlikely) or it got decimated in the Alaskan troll or a huge number of other possibilities. Fisheries as far as i am concerned makes educated guesses but this still equates to throwing misguided darts in the grand scheme of things, they cannot possibly consider all the variables at play. Maybe the fish are all hiding at ferrer. Want to thank John and Cathy at Westview for their well kept facilities. If the fish all of a sudden show up like a hurricane might have to make one last ditch effort to get out there and check it out, otherwise will be back next year.

G II

It's sad to see Nootka (among other areas) fishing so poorly this season. I hope the fish are late but I agree it's looking like that probably isn't the case!

Codfather, I understand the negativity but would have to respectfully disagree with your corrective action regarding DFO. Run 'forecasts' are simply that, a prediction. The people in charge of making this prediction are not the the highest up in DFO, they are the biologists and others with technical expertise mining data and crunching numbers. While managers have to be accountable for the work that their staff produces, firing all of them over this hardly seems like the correct solution. Biologists are trying to project numbers based on historical run data combined with conditions found in native streams the year of those spawns as well as ocean survival conditions. In addition to that, they try to account for an estimated number of pieces removed due to commercial and sport fishing pressure. They take that data and try to extrapolate the best they can. Who knows? Maybe their forecasting methods could be improved? ... sometimes mother nature is hard to figure out and surprises us. The historic 2010 fraser sockeye return surprised everyone. The conservative low end forecast for that run was 4 million fish and 30 million showed up. Wrong predictions go both ways some times.

Now that it is mid August it would appear Conuma chinook forecasts are in fact way off this year and it's up to DFO to keep close tabs on their data to make in-season adjustments like they've done...and if that warrants fishing closures then that is their responsibility and we should hold them accountable for those actions. DFO has to balance opportunity for both sport and commercial fishing with conservation and I hope when in-season data suggests the fish might be in trouble, conservation would be priority number 1. Its easy to just get pissed at DFO about a lot of what's going on and label them incompetent, but maybe we should take a step back and try to help provide some input. Rather than writing an angry email to DFO calling for everyone's head, lets voice our concerns - "Hey DFO, I wanted to let you know I've been fishing Nootka for 2o something years and this is the worst Ive ever seen it. I'm deeply concerned about the possible commercial opening upcoming and I think you should consider closing it down to protect these stocks or until escapement has been met." or something of that nature.... If we are all putting the fish first it seems like something we ought to at least try.

Full disclosure - No, I do not work for DFO but have a few friends that do and trust me they care deeply about trying to get things right and all of them are avid sport anglers. In my opinion most of the issues with DFO arise from lack of regard in Ottawa and appropriate budget to correct the staff shortage that manages and enforces the resource here in BC - although this is another topic entirely. My 2 cents, sorry if this is thread hijacking continue on with the fishing reports.
Thanks for your level headed post. I think people calling for heads to roll at DFO are simply striking out in frustration. The predictions are all by guess and by golly.

Just returned from our annual derby. Worst year in 15 years of our tournaments. 5 boats, 16 fishermen and a total of 6 Chinook weighed in. Biggest 21.5 lbs. first time we have had more $ prizes than fish. Smallest fish that's ever won derby. Our boat even got skunked outside at can. A lot of long days and tired fishers trying to put fish on our boats. If it was our first trip to Nootks most likely would not be back, but we will it's a tradition. Next trip is up north out of telegraph cove in September, hope we have better luck there with the Hali and Coho. Good luck to any still pounding the waters at Nootka, please post any decent reports.

Sadly my report is the same, very poor. Fished Friday night through Sunday. Results: released one small 6 lb spring Friday, caught one 16 lb spring on Saturday. Lost a nice one on Sunday size unknown. Folks at Critter Cove were taking the poor fishing well however it was quite empty and many left early for home. Quite a change from my last trip a few weeks ago.

You mentioned things that are taken into account for the projections but you never mention Sea Lice Mortality when the smolts pass by infected fish farms.Why don't you ask your freinds that care deeply about trying to get things right how they can be the stewards of the Wild Salmon and yet at the same time promote Salmon Farm Feed Lots. I agree with closures if thats whats necessary but why don't they start with closing the Fish Farm Feedlots in the Ocean and move them onto land to eliminate this ongoing threat to Wild Salmons survival.

Thanks for your level headed post. I think people calling for heads to roll at DFO are simply striking out in frustration. The predictions are all by guess and by golly.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result. I think its time to shake things up and in my opinion the buck should stop at the top. I am also particularly concerned about the reluctance of the subordinates to say something. Being a 'yes-man' is the most self-serving form of disloyalty to the Wild Salman.

Back