2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

Heading up tonight, four our first trip this year staying and staying at critter. Weather does not look good for offshore fishing for few days which is dissapointing. Will be hitting all the usual spots. Hoping for change in wind by Sunday. hope everybody is finaly getting into some fresh fish. Tight lines.
The Three Amigos-Bayliner 242. Ch 68.

Here's one of the launch in gold river for any first timers and one of the boy sleeping in the cuddy as we run out to beano one morning lol. This is what can be expected when ya start them young. We can often be in pretty rough conditions only to peek under and see the boy so relaxed. Also for first timers the road in to gold river didn't seem that bad a drive to me and there are lots of wide pull outs View attachment 28741 View attachment 28742 View attachment 28743
Great pictures two thumbs up.

DMurph....thanks for sharing your pics. Looks like the family had a great time. Catching fish is only part of the fun. btw, did you actually catch squid at night off the dock at Critter?? I've tried in the past and not had any luck. If so, what gear did you use?

I see a small window on Monday so the SpringFever flying circus and gong show should be into Nootka Sun pm. Green and white Orca-listen on 6. I share info.!

Great pics dmurph..
Loved those days when the kids were small..

The worse part of the road is from gold river down to the ramp..the 1st time it's like riding/getting $h!t kicked by a bucking bronco..Lots of frost heaves and road settling on that stretch

Thanks for posting pics
The way put seemed alot worse actually. Almost took air a few times on some of the dips

DMurph....thanks for sharing your pics. Looks like the family had a great time. Catching fish is only part of the fun. btw, did you actually catch squid at night off the dock at Critter?? I've tried in the past and not had any luck. If so, what gear did you use?
Yes the wife and boy were up late just fishing at the dock and a few squid rolled through. The wife netted one. We rigged it up the next day. I think if we fished beano with that set up it would have slayed. One of the other young fellas at the dock said the night before we arrived the squid came in by the thousands to the dock. Pretty cool.

Here's one of the launch in gold river for any first timers and one of the boy sleeping in the cuddy as we run out to beano one morning lol. This is what can be expected when ya start them young. We can often be in pretty rough conditions only to peek under and see the boy so relaxed. Also for first timers the road in to gold river didn't seem that bad a drive to me and there are lots of wide pull outs View attachment 28741 View attachment 28742 View attachment 28743

Those are great he'll have those memories forever. Thanks for sharing.

Hello all I am new to the site. Heading to Nootka for Aug 6-10 can anyone tell me if the fishing has picked up on the inside over the last couple days. Also is there much happening at the light house. We are going to be in a 16ft boat so the outside will be a no go unless condition are very good. Thanks.

Hello all I am new to the site. Heading to Nootka for Aug 6-10 can anyone tell me if the fishing has picked up on the inside over the last couple days. Also is there much happening at the light house. We are going to be in a 16ft boat so the outside will be a no go unless condition are very good. Thanks.

We just got back today as of yesterday the fish were still not actively biting inside .. We picked up a few nice springs inside but the far majority on the outside ..We killed it outside on all fish. We fished both Esperanza and Nootka for 7 days inside and outside ... The fishing should pick up inside any day now...good luck and tight lines

Just back from three solid days of fishing and I hate too say it but was probably the worst salmon fishing in years! We fished from Beano to lighthouse for the last three days and only hooked a couple of shakers. Hardly seen any fish caught at all. Then finally tried coopte, hoisin and camel yesterday and also nothing. Spend hours trying for halibut out past Beano nothing. Really disappointing as it was the first major trip for my kids 10,12,15 and 16 and nothing much. We probably fished 14 hrs a day so put in our time. Just so you know I am not new at this and limited out last week for three guys two days in a row. So there are starting to be a few fish inside seen some caught. The whole outside entrance was dead. I mean seeing 30 boats at monument and one or two fish caught. 15 boats at Beano and no fish caught that I seen. Did not salmon fish offshore as big engine not trolling well and too waves for my kicker. Sorry for the dismal post but I just want everyone to pray for some rain maybe bring the fish in. I hope it picks up soon.

Heading up tonight, four our first trip this year staying and staying at critter. Weather does not look good for offshore fishing for few days which is dissapointing. Will be hitting all the usual spots. Hoping for change in wind by Sunday. hope everybody is finaly getting into some fresh fish. Tight lines.
The Three Amigos-Bayliner 242. Ch 68.

Who is cooking and what's on the menu?
Wish I was there, still remember the racks of lamb

Bringing the War Wagon up for the 6th.
12,000 piece quota for the Area G Ladz.
Possibilities of extension on that...
See ya out there...

Cheers,
Nog

Just back from three solid days of fishing and I hate too say it but was probably the worst salmon fishing in years! We fished from Beano to lighthouse for the last three days and only hooked a couple of shakers. Hardly seen any fish caught at all. Then finally tried coopte, hoisin and camel yesterday and also nothing. Spend hours trying for halibut out past Beano nothing. Really disappointing as it was the first major trip for my kids 10,12,15 and 16 and nothing much. We probably fished 14 hrs a day so put in our time. Just so you know I am not new at this and limited out last week for three guys two days in a row. So there are starting to be a few fish inside seen some caught. The whole outside entrance was dead. I mean seeing 30 boats at monument and one or two fish caught. 15 boats at Beano and no fish caught that I seen. Did not salmon fish offshore as big engine not trolling well and too waves for my kicker. Sorry for the dismal post but I just want everyone to pray for some rain maybe bring the fish in. I hope it picks up soon.

Sorry to hear it was so slow must have been disappointing for your kids. I sure hope it starts picking up soon I am making a lengthy trip to get there. This will be my fifth time there and the fishing has always been great. Thanks for the update.

Coming in on the 7th for a week sounds like it should pick up by then had to go a week later this year but seems like might work out , boat is only 22 feet so not sure how much offshore fiahing we can do but hoping the fish are moved in by then.

Back