2016 Alberni Inlet

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject:
FN0638-Commercial - Salmon: Gill Net - Area D - Area 23 - Alberni Inlet Sockeye Opening - July 13-14, 2016

The Area 23 gill net fishery opens for 24 hours from 18:00 hours Wednesday July
13th 2016 to 18:00 hours Thursday July 14th, 2016 in the following areas:
in that portion of Subarea 23-2 south of a line drawn from the Light at Hocking
Point easterly across the Inlet to a point located at 49 degrees 05.260
minutes north and 124 degrees 49.158 minutes West. (Hocking Point to the
Pocahontas Line)

In addition the Area 23 gill net fishery opens for 11 hours from 18:00 hours
Wednesday July 13th to 05:00 hours Thursday July 14th 2016 in the following
area:
in portions of Subareas 23-1 and 23-2 bounded on the south by a line drawn
from the Light at Hocking Point easterly across the Inlet to a point located
at 49 degrees 05.260 minutes north and 124 degrees 49.158 minutes West and
bounded in the north by a line drawn from the clock Tower at Harbour Quay
westerly across the Inlet to a point located at 49 degrees 13.662 minutes north
and 124 degrees 50.249 minutes West. (Harbour Quay Clock tower to the Hocking
Point Line)

and the Area 23 gill net fishery opens for 4 hours from 14:00 hours to 18:00
hours Thursday July 14th 2016 in the following area:
in portions of Subareas 23-1 and 23-2 bounded on the south by a line drawn from
the Light at Hocking Point easterly across the Inlet to a point located at 49
degrees 05.260 minutes north and 124 degrees 49.158 minutes West and bounded in
the north by a line drawn from the clock Tower at Harbour Quay westerly across
the Inlet to a point located at 49 degrees 13.662 minutes north and 124 degrees
50.249 minutes West. (Harbour Quay Clock tower to the Hocking Point Line)

The run was reforecast June 30th to 1.1 million. The commercial allocation for
Seines and Gillnets at this run-size is 404,017. Seine allocation is 242,410.
Gillnet allocation is 161,607. Seine catch to date is 89,000. Gill net catch
to date is approximately 136,000.

Does anyone fish sockeye in the evenings? Can it be good? It appears that everyone fishes first thing in the morning and then experiences a slow-down towards midday. Does it stay slow the rest of the day?

Cheers

Does anyone fish sockeye in the evenings? Can it be good? It appears that everyone fishes first thing in the morning and then experiences a slow-down towards midday. Does it stay slow the rest of the day?

Cheers

I posted about that earlier in this thread. There can be a really good bite just before it gets dark. It's usually pretty short lived, but it can be very good while it lasts.

I've had good luck in the evening when we did a overniter, the night bite was actually better than the next morning

Just got back from a week at China Creek. We went with two families (mine and a buddy's, who were newbies). Kids had a blast playing with all the other kids at the campground, and we fished it hard with varying success. A couple of older gents who were yearly residents helped us out with some killer terminal gear that had us into the fish. Pink skirt and blue head worked the best for us with just plain black hooks (tandem) and the pink mini skirt on a black hook came in tied for second. The fish, as usual, came in flurries. Our best days last week were when we went down to Nahmint as there were about ten seiners waiting to hit them. Lost a bunch, kept a few and fishing was tough, but OK, the commies put a big dent in the fish though and even they were having a hard time reaching they're quotas (I spoke with some seiner captains). Kids had a hard time with the big sox. Maybe when they are a year older!

Fished this morning, tried nahmint and worked towards port. Fishing was slow. Most action was at 80 feet. Never lost many, managed to bonk 6. Single barbless 4/0 with pink skirt with half the legs pulled off worked best. Nice weather but kinda a grind

How have the past few mornings been for sox in the inlet? My dad and I are thinking to make the trip from CR tomorrow if it would be worth our while...

Thanks!

We picked up three today, from 5.30 to 6:30 am, then nothing else. Back at China Creek people had a few but many came back with none. Definitely slower for us than previous weekends. Nice fish, 80 -90 ft. Pink and black.

Yup another slower one but better then yesterday... fish are shooting straight for the river...

the last couple days..your working hard for 2 to4 fish.... heard they maybe some more coming in from Barkley

Back