2016 Alberni Inlet

Thanks for the replies.

Running in the river at 1.3 feet from Clutsea Haven to the inlet is okay?

Stay close to your port side when exiting the river; it is a blast rock bank and has plenty of water, once you get down along the mill; stay close to there sticks and dock until you can see the harbour; then move to the middle of the river between the pilings/channel markers going out.

Another option to consider is launching at China Creek. No river to worry about, and they have fuel.
Stosh

The river has lots of water..... I never think twice about depth or tide when launching. I'm in a 18.5 ' Double Eagle. Follow the channel like Tidal Chaos says, it is well marked.

The river has lots of water..... I never think twice about depth or tide when launching. I'm in a 18.5 ' Double Eagle. Follow the channel like Tidal Chaos says, it is well marked.

Just keep your eyes open for the really bad dead heads that lurk ....just got my bill yesterday for wacking another dead head that lurked under the surface.. only had 26hrs on the new leg from last years miss hap....o_O

At the risk of asking a dumb question (and in my attempt to understand the regs without legal representation)....Is sockeye fishing closed Aug 1 to Sept 30 in Namint Bay?
In other words: Salmon are considered to be a finfish unless referred to as finfish(excluding salmon)....Clear as Guinness.

well how about an answer to the mans question fellow fishers......and are the sockeye still in any abundance in the inlet or is it all over for this year...?

fished from 7-9 yesterday , around 50 boats only at Nahnint -10 mile , bonked 4 , lost a few ,
60 -70 feet , nice fish still , but ,,,,think its a rap , watch for the closures in areas as of today im told ,
glad i got one last kick at it ,
thanks to all that posted and kept us all up to speed, Deryk , Clint , Rob.....
off ta chase the illusive chinook now , PRETTY SLOW , at our docks
see what we can scrape up.. congrats to Adam on his 29 lb chinook this week ,
not sure if hes still leading the Bamfield Fire Fighters Derby..

gd lk all

later .....

felix

Hey guys quick question. I want to make a trip and fish the inlet for chinook salmon sometime between August 20th and September 10tb. Typically what is prime time for these smileys? Thanks

I wanted to make it up there this year earlier to get some sockeye but couldnt due to health reasons ..Is there still some around now in the inlet? wold it be worth the trip from Duncan? Thanx in advance for any info....C.A.

I wanted to make it up there this year earlier to get some sockeye but couldnt due to health reasons ..Is there still some around now in the inlet? wold it be worth the trip from Duncan? Thanx in advance for any info....C.A.

I was there to find sockeye last weekend....apparently, it is very slow. fish is there, work hard to find them.

Hey guys quick question. I want to make a trip and fish the inlet for chinook salmon sometime between August 20th and September 10tb. Typically what is prime time for these smileys? Thanks

I always liked the 20-27th when I used to fish there every year. But, the fish seem late this year, so later might be better. I always preferred before Labour day to after, as the fish start to darken up after Labour day. I also prefer to fish the freshest fish coming down the inlet, rather than later where the fish are staged and darkening in the harbour. Having said that, I think times have changed since I fished their every year. I think heavy commercial openings on the earlier runs every year have really hurt the numbers of fish that came back early every year. It seems that now the majority of the run returns later. It's always a crap shoot as to when a run will peak, but it's looking like this year is going to be a later year. The inlet and campgrounds will be jammed because of the derby over the labour day weekend, so if you don't like crowds you might want to avoid that weekend. The good thing about after Labour day is there's tons of room at the campgrounds, and less boats in the harbour. The lousy thing about after Labour day is the DFO gives tons of openings to the commercial seiners and gillnetters to start hoovering all the fish from the inlet. It's no fun trying to dodge all the nets in the inlet when your running very early in the morning. The fishing always takes a nosedive after a commercial opening, so that is another big downside to timing a later trip. Lots of factors to consider, and they vary every year. That's my take on timing a trip. Good and bad things about both early and late trips. Good luck, and have fun.

I would go just before the derby weekend like the 25th. We've had 20+ fish days at that time of year 5 minutes down the canal.

If u say so...forecasting has been accurate the last 4 years...the timing a different story... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
They are thick offshore. Fish where they are not where you want them to be

Those fish aren't Robertson fish, just like the ones off shore esperenza/nootka aren't local fish. And since its been blowing NW hurricane most of the summer lot of people don't have access to those fish. #runofthedecade was supposed to include the conuma and Robertson and those fish are both no shows.

Back