2015 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Not sure why they checked for Radio License unless you are from another country. It hasn't been required since 1999. See this from Transport Canada site

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/h_sf01775e.html

On March 17, 1999, Industry Canada published in the Canada Gazette an amendment to the Radiocommunication Regulations. This amendment provides for the exemption of "radio apparatus on board a ship or vessel" and "radio apparatus on board an aircraft" from the requirement to hold a radio licence.

Ship Radio Station Licensing
Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?
You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:
• the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
• the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by Reference RBR-2.

Government speak is confusing, but the operator needs to be certified. The radio doesn't need a license. Below is from the link above. My radio is connected to GPS for DSC. So it is a safety feature of my boat, but I still have to find time to get certified one of these days.

"Certification

Do I still require a Radio Operator Certificate?

Yes. The Radio Operator Certificate is still a requirement for anyone who may be operating the maritime radio equipment, regardless of whether a radio licence is required.

How do I obtain a certificate?

Candidates for the Radio Operator Certificate must successfully complete an examination. Courses and exams are given by the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons. You can contact them via their web site: http://www.cps-ecp.ca/.

Candidates for the Radio Operator Certificate must successfully complete an examination. Courses and exams are given by the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons. You can contact them via their web site: http://www.cps-ecp.ca/.

I still can't figure out how a couple of hours online lets me legally operate a multi ton high speed watercraft but they can't put the ROC online.

This thread could use a fishing report??? We are heading to Barkley on Friday for a few days.

My apologies. I'll be back in Ukee on Sunday and will post reports if I go to Cree area rather than offshore.

Can somebody please post a picture of the "Brown Turd"? Not the one in your toilet bowl!!!LOL

Mine are back in my boat in Bam but they are just a large hootchy that is brown with darker mottled brown spots...many stores carry them, even in Bam at Breakers or Seabeam.

What you have posted here is "army truck", being white to red streak to olive green. A Turd looks just like its name, as long as it wasn't done after eating Chinese.

Drewski

IMGP3074.jpg

That be them!! I ran a few red beads in mine to push a single hook back. Once my Nephew took a look, and I told him it was a Turd he re named it the " Bloody Poop" Name has stuck on my rig and it catches fish too.

Well we fished Barkley a couple times last week and there were good sized springs inside to about 22 lbs. Army truck hootchies and bait were the tickets for us. We caught fish at Pill, Swale and the Wall, and I heard that Kirby and the wall also produced some nice fish. Hopefully the good inside fishing continues. Most of our fish came when the tide slowed down, this weekend should be pretty awesome for tides, especially hali tides. We need more fishing reports on here and less bs...

An army truck hoochie.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 778
My wife and I fished Wednesday/Thursday out of Ucluelet. Very nice fishing conditions. Was going to head out to small bank but noticed lots of bait around the red can buoy out from Amphitrite so we stopped and dropped. We limited out on springs both days . All in the low 20's with 2 hatch coho as well. Not much swell or slop..The freezer looks a little more full now. Love it when fishing is comfortable.. Our new German Shepherd puppy thought it was rough he puked all over my cuddy cushions..I hope he gets his sea legs sooner than later..Ucluelet seemed quite in fisherman numbers..

Never seen T Rex, who sells them on the South Island. I'm heading up to bamfield for a 10 day trip on thurs.

Back