2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murph.....our port side got em' all except for one big scraped herring on the starboard side just off the marker.

Quiet day at sandheads for us. Fog was thick today from 10-2 when we were fishing. Not a lot going on other than a couple shakers for the first 3 hrs and then finally bagged a nice mid-20's spring on a chovy at 45 feet. We ended up getting it just north of sandheads about 1/4 of the way to T10 after the mouth was slow. Last hr was dead for us as well other than when my buddy ran over a crab trap while I was pulling in our gear for the day. Both riggers ended up getting wrapped and all 4 lines. Total gong show with some strong current and the rain picked up just at that time. Was able to salvage all gear but it was a circus pulling up the crab trap and cutting lines, etc.

Didn't see any other boats into any fish really so it was much slower than it has been in recent weeks. Need a new set of fish to move in soon.

Fished the cap from 10-12 and managed a hatchery coho, saw some nice springs netted. Had to drop a buddy off at wreck beach so we fished from the north arm to T 10 and released a couple of wild cohos. All hits on white hootchies.

20130914_173429_zps4e17f8df.jpg

From my last day of the season and the fish gods at the Sandheads on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Murph...... Mine on Thursday was all port side as well,
still running wire on that side too and braid on the other,
but it seems to change on any given day

Pippen,
seen you guys out there and commented on the boat, its a beauty, maybe next time I get the 2'itis or win a lottery lol
Tim

Fished the cap from 8 to 1 today. 18# white spring and a nice hatch coho. Pretty foggy out there in the morning. The run from rocky point was pretty interesting. I can totally see how people can lose their bearings. I could see maybe 100 yds around me, if that. If I didn't have the GPS, I would have been screwed. A couple of tug boat horn blasts let you know there is boats around.

Right on Chris!!

Thanks again for gettin' me out Friday, nothing beats a day at the office

Pippen,
seen you guys out there and commented on the boat, its a beauty, maybe next time I get the 2'itis or win a lottery lol
Tim

Ya.....it's a very nice vessel that he got for a pretty darn good price....on this side of the 49th to boot!! Only thing I am slightly unsure of is the center steering station. It makes it a bit tight getting into the seats on either side or if you are going to and from down below. (port side)

As you may have seen.......LOTS of room out back to run lines and BBQ! ;)

I was looking at a lot of boats out there trying to recognize names from the forum.

Made it out from 530-730pm last night , bounced balls with naked chovies and dummy flashers with no hits, saw about 5 boxed, most hit in the deeper water trolling against the current jt seemed . Crazy how some people in large boats think it's alright to just weave in and out of the fleet as they please, be safe out there.

Crazy how some people in large boats think it's alright to just weave in and out of the fleet as they please, be safe out there.

Agreed.....and although my buddy who owns the Grady is somewhat new to running a boat at the Cap I was trying to keep him on the good tack which he did quite well. In saying that there were A LOT of incidents where we had to avoid boats coming in at all directions.

I had to love the guys running ACROSS the fleet....with one downrigger and one line just with a weight some 50 yards out behind the boat. :rolleyes:

I often wonder about people that drive in all different directions out there? I wonder if the "right rod to the rocks" rule is ever followed. I try my best to stick to the rules but it seems that most ,"some guide boats included" don't bother with it? I wonder if i just stuck to my guns and kept on my tack , would these guys run right into me ? I know for a fact that one of the guide boats that fish the cap would for sure.NOT GOING TO NAME HIM ! I pushed it last year with him at the cap and i had to slam by boat into reverse when he decide he wanted to make his turn at the marker and cut right in front of me. We would have hit forsure! He didnt even give a crap . I've been running boats for a better part of 35 years and i have never seen anything like the captains at the cap !

at the end of the day , its a fishing trip , go out and have fun , you will NEVER have perfect etiquette or tacks anywhere
in BC , especially with the Cap fishery , so , you need ta make a decision , do i want ta hit the supposed prime water, and stress out out about being cut-off by guys on purpose , or by guys that have NO IDEA what the hell there doin , and there were alot of them last season lol , it is what it is , if looking ta stay out of the combat zone , less stress , fish west... i fished the Firemans derby last year , was like fishin sockeye in Alberni at its peek ,hundreds of boats.. we all laughed about it , made the best of it , without any incidents , other than a good scrap at the weigh in lol.. sometimes the monkey see monkey do fisherman dont fare so well , during the week leading up to the derby , i hit most of my springs by the pier and apartment buildings !! and of course zero on the derby lol.. : )

m2b

fd

I'm in the firemen's derby this year for the first time. Next friday, sept 27. How many boats typically enter? Was 'hundreds' an exaggeration? either way I'm sure it'll be busy at the cap.

The right rod to the rocks rule makes good sense at the Cap when the tide is on the flood. In the fall, the fishing is best on the flood tide and that is when the boats are heavily concentrated. If guys tack into the flooding tide with their right rod to shore it would make things run a lot smoother. The Cap Mouth is influenced by a lot of current as it is in the narrows. People need to realize that if they are trolling with the current behind them, they will be going VERY quickly and have little time to react. The boats that are tacking on the inside with the current behind them are the boats that typically make a mess of things at the Cap Mouth. On the weekend there were a couple larger boats making a mess of things by tacking against the majority of the traffic and got themselves in some tricky situations forcing. The boats that are trolling into the flooding tide have control as they are not moving very quickly as they are going against the current. The guys that decide to troll through all the boats with the current behind are quite often out of control as they are going a lot faster than the boats that are trolling into the current. Lets all work together on those busy days and stay on the outside of the pack if you are tacking east with tide and when you are tacking west and into the current keep to the inside.

Tiller, you are bang on ! thats what the guy was doing that almost hit me . Coming with the tide and wanting that inside (honey hole) spot. When he went to make his turn he should have waited till he went by but he wanted to make his pass ahead of me.
FD,Your right ,it is what it is and i dont find myself fishing that area as much anymore as we do get enough fish in other spots now anyway. It can be pretty deadly fishing if you wana get in to that mess but its not for me anymore !

maybe a slight exaggeration , but , it was busy , between the derby and the remainder warriors , was certainly over 100 boats spread out ,
was a complete gong show at the mouth 1 hour before the final weigh in...

i here what you guys are saying , but in reality ,
90% of the guys out there are NOT on this forum ,very uneducated ,, there just out havin fun , dont take it as serious as some ,
and have zero idea about what they should be doin , that will NEVER change.. make the best of it...
as they say in hockey , stay outta the dirty areas if ya dont want ta get hurt : )
look for open ice !!

fd

fd

I'm in the firemen's derby this year for the first time. Next friday, sept 27. How many boats typically enter? Was 'hundreds' an exaggeration? either way I'm sure it'll be busy at the cap.

Sounds like a good time to put the riggers away till after Christmas.
Ending on a good note with a full freezer and some of the best action in years.
May-June at thrasher and August at sandheads good times.
Fraser sturgeon are calling me, see you on the flow.

It's all about being safe on the water and having a good time. Next time I go out, if I get cut off and almost run over I will be trolling right over the lines of who ever does it. This is the best way to get back at who ever cuts you off as you out fish them. If you think about it it's like having attracters right in front of you. I did it to a guide last year that cut me off three times. Lets just say his customers asked us to hold up the fish as they had not seen one all day.

Tight lines and tales up

Anyone been out this week at Sandheads or T10 with any reports of fish still around? Tomorrow looks like a perfect day sunny with 5-10 SE and prefer not driving all the way to West Van. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back