2013 Bamfield Tuna Shootout

Just got home. What a blast. We all had a great time :)

A big thank you to Jeff, Kelly, Johnny, and all the other folks that helped put this event together. You did a great job.

It was really nice meeting all the other tuna addicts and getting to know them. There were folks from all over and it was really cool to see so many participating in this fishery.

Jeff, Kelly and Jon
For a first time you guys did awesome and my crew and I would like to thank you for putting on the event. To bad the weather was the way it was but what can you do, everybody made the best of it. Good to have met everyone we did and to put faces to names, didn't hurt winning some money to pay for fuel and drinks either, I think our booze bill was more than the fuel! Thanks everyone and hope to see you next year on the canyons.

My Crew and I would like to echo the sentiments above for the hard work put in by the organizers of this derby. Great Job Guys! Can't wait to do it all again next year.

Will post some pics once I get organized.

Congrats to Jeff, Kelly, Jerry and everyone who worked tons of hours to pull this off. Sounds like there were only a few fishable days, but the 8 day format is designed just for that. Maybe next year a few of the so-called Westport hot shots will show to put their skills against the BC tough boys. We'll see.

BTW, Kelly..........thanks for the place to crash. I owe you one.

Still coming down from a fantastic week-end in Bamtown. Our crew from Hardy had never been to Bamfield and had little experience in off-shore tuna fishing. That being said we jumped in with both feet and went after it. Found ourselves 50+ miles off shore yarding tuna over the rail of the Double Header, friggin wicked! We are all now hooked and can not wait for next year

Kelly, Jeff, Jerry, John, and the rest of the crew in Bamtown that hosted has and put on this spectacular derby deserve all the credit. If it was not for them and all their hard work they put into this none of us would have had the chance to experience this amazing fishery.

Thanks guys, can't wait till next September.

For those of you who didn't make it, thinking it would be smart to get your name on one of those 50 tickets, thinking they will not last long for next year.

Not sure how to post pictures on here so here is a link to where I have mine posted.

https://www.facebook.com/BearCoveCottagesFishingDestination

Cheers,

Still coming down from a fantastic week-end in Bamtown. Our crew from Hardy had never been to Bamfield and had little experience in off-shore tuna fishing. That being said we jumped in with both feet and went after it. Found ourselves 50+ miles off shore yarding tuna over the rail of the Double Header, friggin wicked! We are all now hooked and can not wait for next year

Thats what its all about!!! Great photo's by the way.

Here is a question for the next shootout for Kelly, Jeff and Jon. What is policy for handlines. The Westport Tuna Classic follows IGFA (International game fish association) which states
"The following acts will disqualify a catch:
4. Handlining or using a handline or rope attached in any manner to the
angler's line or leader for the purpose of holding or lifting the fish.

The IGFA website can be found at: WWW.IGFA.ORG

If i can add my 2 sense.

I think handlines are awesome!

I have heard mumblings from others that they are not sporting. If you think hauling a 25lb tuna going crazy by hand is not sporting i don't know what is.

Last edited by a moderator:
If u were to follow in that route then you would have to disallow double hooks as well

I believe IFGA allows double hooks when fishing plugs/skirts/feathers etc. Just not when fishing bait

Handlines = Fun.

Bam Town Shootout = Fun.

Bunch of US/international tourney rules = BS

IMHO

Handlines = Fun.

Bam Town Shootout = Fun.

Bunch of US/international tourney rules = BS

IMHO

Took the words right out of my mouth :).

I also like your idea of off day activities to keep it more interesting etc. There are some pretty awesome tuna carkers out there and a little fun competition would help kill the time.

This guy is pretty fast.
[thlR01v94Xc] http://youtu.be/thlR01v94Xc

Took the words right out of my mouth :).

I also like your idea of off day activities to keep it more interesting etc. There are some pretty awesome tuna carkers out there and a little fun competition would help kill the time.

This guy is pretty fast.
[thlR01v94Xc] http://youtu.be/thlR01v94Xc

Hey Sculpin

Was that Firelight in action there? ;)

Here is a question for the next shootout for Kelly, Jeff and Jon. What is policy for handlines. The Westport Tuna Classic follows IGFA (International game fish association) which states
"The following acts will disqualify a catch:
4. Handlining or using a handline or rope attached in any manner to the
angler's line or leader for the purpose of holding or lifting the fish.

The IGFA website can be found at: WWW.IGFA.ORG

Worst idea I have ever heard....

Hand lines are a hoot!I had a few tuna hand line newbies on the boat this year and they all loved it as much or more than rod/reel!

Lets keep it fun,screw IGFA

Would you like to see them banned from the tournament Don?

I'd go all rod's if I had to. I don't think this event will go IGFA so there is nothing to worry about. We are all out there to have fun :cool:. This is what tuna fishing is to me and so many people that entered the event. Just a bunch of folks that get together and enjoy the offshore experience and the fishery at hand. This event showed that in great strides. There was a lot of folks that dedicated their time and personal monies to make this thing happen. If it got so big that certain other rules came into effect, I personally think the whole idea is ruined.

I run 2 hand lines off my rear cleats and 4 rod's right now. I know, I know, not very many lines in the water but hey it works for my boat :). The hand lines are FUN period. There was some comments about them in some threads but that's all there was. To each there own. I disagree that it is not sporting. When firelight and myself went out with Birdsnest he was trying to haul in a large albacore and was in the corner for quite a while when Todd and I both said to him " what's up" and he answered " this thing is kicking my butt!!!". Nuff said if you haven't been there before.

Cheers,
John

Back